Anyone use this yet?  I think I'm going to attempt to use it to stream the Barber WRL Race next weekend with a GoPro Hero 7.  Hopefully I have some time to try to get it working before I get to the track.

https://driverseye.live/

straight knock-off of flo sports model. assume they are using aws media or gcp video platforms. 

the key here is the linear encoder. you will spend minimally about a thousand bucks for a decent one. 

But you can stream directly from a GoPro Hero 7 via or cheaper (and maybe more reliable for streaming) Yi4k.  To me it looks the same as streaming via youtube, but geared more toward motorsports.  You can also stream to your Youtube channel simultaneously.  The only advantage over streaming to Youtube that I see is that you can create and join events so that the Champcar Live team might be able to pull your video a little easier.

11 hours ago, zack_280 said:

But you can stream directly from a GoPro Hero 7 via or cheaper (and maybe more reliable for streaming) Yi4k.  To me it looks the same as streaming via youtube, but geared more toward motorsports.  You can also stream to your Youtube channel simultaneously.  The only advantage over streaming to Youtube that I see is that you can create and join events so that the Champcar Live team might be able to pull your video a little easier.

pretty sure the Go-Pro approach requires the use of a phone/tablet which the camera pushes to then goes up to youtube or wherever. This is the weak link in the GoPro approach.

So, if you have some dev chops you can put together a carrier grade software platform using either AWS or GCP. Once I found the right encoder it took about 2 hours to get the software plumbing in place on AWS to run a prototype channel. That said, AWS isn't free so you wouldn't use this approach if it was just you running a feed. This would be the approach the driverseye people would take to run a platform.

Like I said the encoder is the key. The best bang for the buck is the LiveU Solo. Run the GP7 into the LiveU and then the encoder has inputs for 2 cellular modems. The LiveU secret sauce is some cool stuff that bonds the two cellular connections to facilitate HD. LiveU is very easily configured to run into a variety of platforms, youtube, twitch, etc. via a web interface. I handed off my LiveU encoder to the AutoSpec folks. You can see that setup (Go-Pro 7 >> LiveU Solo >> youtube)  in action here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff3UMWis5SJC8WdE0a5EQw  note the video quality, it's pretty solid. 

3 hours ago, atxe30 said:

pretty sure the Go-Pro approach requires the use of a phone/tablet which the camera pushes to then goes up to youtube or wherever. This is the weak link in the GoPro approach.

So, if you have some dev chops you can put together a carrier grade software platform using either AWS or GCP. Once I found the right encoder it took about 2 hours to get the software plumbing in place on AWS to run a prototype channel. That said, AWS isn't free so you wouldn't use this approach if it was just you running a feed. This would be the approach the driverseye people would take to run a platform.

Like I said the encoder is the key. The best bang for the buck is the LiveU Solo. Run the GP7 into the LiveU and then the encoder has inputs for 2 cellular modems. The LiveU secret sauce is some cool stuff that bonds the two cellular connections to facilitate HD. LiveU is very easily configured to run into a variety of platforms, youtube, twitch, etc. via a web interface. I handed off my LiveU encoder to the AutoSpec folks. You can see that setup (Go-Pro 7 >> LiveU Solo >> youtube)  in action here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff3UMWis5SJC8WdE0a5EQw  note the video quality, it's pretty solid. 

Lol wut.

This is so far above my head I am inclined to think you made it up.  That is the only logical explanation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Lol wut.

This is so far above my head I am inclined to think you made it up.  That is the only logical explanation.

220, 221 volts. Whatever it takes....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Lol wut.

ha! yeah, my wife's eyes glaze over when i talk about work.....ends up usually with a comment something like "no idea what you are talking about, but it sure sounds interesting....NOT!!"

Well, I'm probably going to wait until I've had a few beers and it's midnight the night before the race and then I'll try to set it up.  Sooooo, if my live feed works we should know that it isn't that complicated...But it does take a dedicated hotspot in the car.

8 hours ago, zack_280 said:

Well, I'm probably going to wait until I've had a few beers and it's midnight the night before the race and then I'll try to set it up.  Sooooo, if my live feed works we should know that it isn't that complicated...But it does take a dedicated hotspot in the car.

one of the nice things about the LIveU is that it takes 2 cellular modems. that way you can split vendors, so if one vendor has good coverage at a specific track and one doesn't you are covered. single vendor solution can bite you on the cell coverage topic.

The LiveU looks pretty sweet.  But it's $1k.  Plus two cellular modems which I assume is another $300.  I'm going to try to stream via cell phone.  It will probably be buggy, but it's ~$1300k cheaper.

3 hours ago, atxe30 said:

one of the nice things about the LIveU is that it takes 2 cellular modems. that way you can split vendors, so if one vendor has good coverage at a specific track and one doesn't you are covered. single vendor solution can bite you on the cell coverage topic.

Stupid question.  Am I correct in assuming that the interpretation of this point is that if coverage is good for both vendors, you get full HD, but if only one is good you still get the somewhat crappy non-HD the rest of us have?

12 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Stupid question.  Am I correct in assuming that the interpretation of this point is that if coverage is good for both vendors, you get full HD, but if only one is good you still get the somewhat crappy non-HD the rest of us have?

you can get hd with one connection if its solid. if you have one great and one so-so, bonding them only improves it. 

def take a look at link above. pretty sure those guys have one from verizon and one att. there's video up from both laguna seca and sonoma.

12 hours ago, zack_280 said:

The LiveU looks pretty sweet.  But it's $1k.  Plus two cellular modems which I assume is another $300.  I'm going to try to stream via cell phone.  It will probably be buggy, but it's ~$1300k cheaper.

word. def cheaper. all depends on what you wanna do with it. 

Why I guess is the main question.   YouTube isn't going anywhere and anyone can view it. 

Edited by Snake

On 3/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, atxe30 said:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Snake said:

Why I guess is the main question.   YouTube isn't going anywhere and anyone can view it. 

Not sure, but WRL is using it.  I'm guessing because it allows you to create an event and easily pull together all of the streams during the broadcast, but that's just a guess.  I'm not sure if you can set up an event for people to join on YouTube or not.  If so, then I really don't know why.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, Snake said:

YouTube isn't going anywhere and anyone can view it. 

YouTube just boned live streaming for most of us.  So maybe this makes more sense now?  

9 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

YouTube just boned live streaming for most of us.  So maybe this makes more sense now?  

We used Youtube without issue at Daytona

26 minutes ago, Snake said:

We used Youtube without issue at Daytona

Really?  How many subscribers did you have?  Please provide a few more details.  We have a race this weekend and would like to stream if we can.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Really?  How many subscribers did you have?  Please provide a few more details.  We have a race this weekend and would like to stream if we can.  Thanks!

Inactiv channel has 102 iirc and the Crowd Control channel has around 50.  

Stream with Youstream directly to your channel.  Very easy. 

• Thanks 1

DriversEye is basically just like racecast.me was.

Its worth signing up for (free) and giving it a try. You can use the same free encoders that you used with racecast as well.