Special K

Yet another Miata question

So in an effort to make Daytona next month, the last bit of work is being finished up on our Miata.  My question this time revolves around the parcel shelf (or package tray, if you prefer) behind the seat where the access to the fuel pump lives.  We have rear bulkhead plates that cover the holes left by the OEM seatbelt retractors.  With that, is fire foam filling all of the seams where the stock metal panels above the fuel tank come together acceptable, or is a metal firewall over all of that the correct way to go?  The area where the backstays pass through into the trunk has all been fire foamed.

4 hours ago, Special K said:

So in an effort to make Daytona next month, the last bit of work is being finished up on our Miata.  My question this time revolves around the parcel shelf (or package tray, if you prefer) behind the seat where the access to the fuel pump lives.  We have rear bulkhead plates that cover the holes left by the OEM seatbelt retractors.  With that, is fire foam filling all of the seams where the stock metal panels above the fuel tank come together acceptable, or is a metal firewall over all of that the correct way to go?  The area where the backstays pass through into the trunk has all been fire foamed.

It’s my understanding that the rules specifically state that any fuel components must be separated by a “metal” bulkhead. We did a lot of riveting aluminum to pass tech with our Miata at RA. 

1A0FD28E-D24B-4EE6-90FD-37CAF6DF5F22.png

8 hours ago, cowboys647 said:

It’s my understanding that the rules specifically state that any fuel components must be separated by a “metal” bulkhead. We did a lot of riveting aluminum to pass tech with our Miata at RA. 

1A0FD28E-D24B-4EE6-90FD-37CAF6DF5F22.png

Maybe its my own misunderstanding (entirely possible), but I took this section to mainly refer to aftermarket fuel cells, rather than the stock fuel tank in the stock location with the stock metal plates over it that make up the package rack

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Maybe its my own misunderstanding (entirely possible), but I took this section to mainly refer to aftermarket fuel cells, rather than the stock fuel tank in the stock location with the stock metal plates over it that make up the package rack

Nope that’d be incorrect. The Miata has a rubber fuel tube in the trunk area. The concern is that this tube breaks (possibly if somebody fiddled with their stock tank vents) and the trunk fills with fuel. Then the driver hits the brakes and all the fuel splashes in the cabin. I was told this rule was created specifically for the Miata to prevent this from happening. I think it’s a pretty reasonable as I don’t want to see anyone get soaked with fuel. I hope the next revision in the bccr adds that foam is legal as well. 

• Thanks 1

Safe to assume you have all the stock access panels installed as they arrived from Japan?  If so, I would expect you have the same set up as most Miata's out there.  Those panels get screwed in place some may have some foam gasketing, but nothing that would seal against fuel or fire.

If someone comes back to say that this is not OK, please state what the upgrade is that is necessary so I can go apply it to my cars.

3 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Safe to assume you have all the stock access panels installed as they arrived from Japan?  If so, I would expect you have the same set up as most Miata's out there.  Those panels get screwed in place some may have some foam gasketing, but nothing that would seal against fuel or fire.

If someone comes back to say that this is not OK, please state what the upgrade is that is necessary so I can go apply it to my cars.

I don’t think I’m understanding your question. What happened for us at tech was a flashlight was shined in the trunk and they looked for light in the driver’s compartment. If they see light, then you need to fill some holes. Obviously it’s never going to be 100% but you’ll need to make the effort to get everything covered up. Also see the above post about anything above 1/4” needs to have metal over it and anything under can have the fire foam stuffs.