Jump to content
Special K

Yet another Miata question

Recommended Posts

So in an effort to make Daytona next month, the last bit of work is being finished up on our Miata.  My question this time revolves around the parcel shelf (or package tray, if you prefer) behind the seat where the access to the fuel pump lives.  We have rear bulkhead plates that cover the holes left by the OEM seatbelt retractors.  With that, is fire foam filling all of the seams where the stock metal panels above the fuel tank come together acceptable, or is a metal firewall over all of that the correct way to go?  The area where the backstays pass through into the trunk has all been fire foamed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Special K said:

So in an effort to make Daytona next month, the last bit of work is being finished up on our Miata.  My question this time revolves around the parcel shelf (or package tray, if you prefer) behind the seat where the access to the fuel pump lives.  We have rear bulkhead plates that cover the holes left by the OEM seatbelt retractors.  With that, is fire foam filling all of the seams where the stock metal panels above the fuel tank come together acceptable, or is a metal firewall over all of that the correct way to go?  The area where the backstays pass through into the trunk has all been fire foamed.

It’s my understanding that the rules specifically state that any fuel components must be separated by a “metal” bulkhead. We did a lot of riveting aluminum to pass tech with our Miata at RA. 

1A0FD28E-D24B-4EE6-90FD-37CAF6DF5F22.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cowboys647 said:

It’s my understanding that the rules specifically state that any fuel components must be separated by a “metal” bulkhead. We did a lot of riveting aluminum to pass tech with our Miata at RA. 

1A0FD28E-D24B-4EE6-90FD-37CAF6DF5F22.png

Maybe its my own misunderstanding (entirely possible), but I took this section to mainly refer to aftermarket fuel cells, rather than the stock fuel tank in the stock location with the stock metal plates over it that make up the package rack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Special K said:

Maybe its my own misunderstanding (entirely possible), but I took this section to mainly refer to aftermarket fuel cells, rather than the stock fuel tank in the stock location with the stock metal plates over it that make up the package rack

Nope that’d be incorrect. The Miata has a rubber fuel tube in the trunk area. The concern is that this tube breaks (possibly if somebody fiddled with their stock tank vents) and the trunk fills with fuel. Then the driver hits the brakes and all the fuel splashes in the cabin. I was told this rule was created specifically for the Miata to prevent this from happening. I think it’s a pretty reasonable as I don’t want to see anyone get soaked with fuel. I hope the next revision in the bccr adds that foam is legal as well. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safe to assume you have all the stock access panels installed as they arrived from Japan?  If so, I would expect you have the same set up as most Miata's out there.  Those panels get screwed in place some may have some foam gasketing, but nothing that would seal against fuel or fire.

 

If someone comes back to say that this is not OK, please state what the upgrade is that is necessary so I can go apply it to my cars.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Safe to assume you have all the stock access panels installed as they arrived from Japan?  If so, I would expect you have the same set up as most Miata's out there.  Those panels get screwed in place some may have some foam gasketing, but nothing that would seal against fuel or fire.

 

If someone comes back to say that this is not OK, please state what the upgrade is that is necessary so I can go apply it to my cars.

 

 

I don’t think I’m understanding your question. What happened for us at tech was a flashlight was shined in the trunk and they looked for light in the driver’s compartment. If they see light, then you need to fill some holes. Obviously it’s never going to be 100% but you’ll need to make the effort to get everything covered up. Also see the above post about anything above 1/4” needs to have metal over it and anything under can have the fire foam stuffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so here's the solution we've settled on.  I assume covering everything with aluminum and sealing the overlapping seams with fire foam will make tech happy.  And prevent our team from driving 7.5 hours to Daytona only to drive 7.5 hours back home.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Snarky comments that will lead me to spend long nights in a dark room, pondering the life choices that brought me to this point?

 

http://www.miatacage.com/package-tray-cover-kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Special K said:

Ok so here's the solution we've settled on.  I assume covering everything with aluminum and sealing the overlapping seams with fire foam will make tech happy.  And prevent our team from driving 7.5 hours to Daytona only to drive 7.5 hours back home.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Snarky comments that will lead me to spend long nights in a dark room, pondering the life choices that brought me to this point?

 

http://www.miatacage.com/package-tray-cover-kit

 

I covered the many small holes/seams/gaps with multiple layers thick of foil tape, sprayed expanding fire block in all the odd shaped gaps at the front and sides, and used the miatacage plates at the seatbelt retractor openings.  Any places where expanding fire block bulged out got trimmed flat with a hacksaw blade held in hand.  Brushed on some paint and it all blends together.  No light whatsoever can be seen from a strong light source placed behind the sealed areas. 

 

We’ll be seeing tech this Friday at Harris Hill and I don’t anticipate issues. 

Edited by ETR
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ETR said:

 

I covered the many small holes/seams/gaps with multiple layers thick of foil tape, sprayed expanding fire block in all the odd shaped gaps at the front and sides, and used the miatacage plates at the seatbelt retractor openings.  Any places where expanding fire block bulged out got trimmed flat with a hacksaw blade held in hand.  Brushed on some paint and it all blends together.  No light whatsoever can be seen from a strong light source placed behind the sealed areas. 

 

We’ll be seeing tech this Friday at Harris Hill and I don’t anticipate issues. 

Let me know how it goes for you. This is the final thing we have left to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lesson learned about the miatacage kit I linked to.  Definitely a pain to do around a cage.  Ended up using half the kit and making my own aluminum panels for the rest of it.  If anyone is interested, I can try to put some pictures up when its done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Special K said:

Lesson learned about the miatacage kit I linked to.  Definitely a pain to do around a cage.  Ended up using half the kit and making my own aluminum panels for the rest of it.  If anyone is interested, I can try to put some pictures up when its done

Yes please do post some pictures when you have it finished!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, ablesnead said:

dogtired , maybe you didn't read the " early Chump /lemons " part

This is one comfusing post!

 

Dog is not even in this thread, unless he deleted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 3:03 AM, Special K said:

Let me know how it goes for you. This is the final thing we have left to do

 

Had no trouble at all. No shining lights in the trunk, but he was watching that gaps had the metal plate or aluminum tape where appropriate. Just a quick look really, but I put a lot of effort into it and it showed  I think.  Totally worth it for our safety and no grief in tech. 

 

I saw some cars with seriously weathered aluminum tape (no back window) and overall lack of attention. For them he spent much more time in this area and made more comments. Tech was a global MX5 guy.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Wink said:

Jay was great in tech all weekend, great add by the org in my opinion.

 

Agreed. Very knowledgeable, reasonable, and he gave useful feedback in tech.  I also enjoyed chatting with him a few times through the weekend.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally done.  All aluminum panels overlap.  It took some doing, but it came out alright.  Here's the one picture I got with my crappy old phone.

Rear deck.jpeg

Edited by Special K
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ETR said:

 

Agreed. Very knowledgeable, reasonable, and he gave useful feedback in tech.  I also enjoyed chatting with him a few times through the weekend.  

The entire tech team does a great job.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Special K said:

Finally done.  All aluminum panels overlap.  It took some doing, but it came out alright.  Here's the one picture I got with my crappy old phone.

Rear deck.jpeg

That looks good.  Really cleaned it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Special K said:

Finally done.  All aluminum panels overlap.  It took some doing, but it came out alright.  Here's the one picture I got with my crappy old phone.

Rear deck.jpeg

Very nice! So nice I hate to ask........................................is it easy to access the fuel tank for fuel pump replacement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine doesn't look like that but got the job done.  I made my own panels, riveted or screwed down, and fire foamed all the seams.  I think this is an excellent requirement.  I don't want anyone to burn in my car.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ian Moone said:

Very nice! So nice I hate to ask........................................is it easy to access the fuel tank for fuel pump replacement?

 

Easy? Not really.  Will have to drill out some rivets to get a panel out.  But luckily, all of that is new so it shouldnt need replacing for a while.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are planning on having rear lexan and a package tray, you might want to paint it with a flat paint.  I just about couldn't see out of my rearview with the aluminum tray reflecting off of it.  It wasn't too bright, it was just the lexan acting like a mirror so that all you could easily see was the package tray.  This was in an E46, but seems like it could be a universal problem.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...