Sign in to follow this  
Indysupra

Rocker arm nuts considered “free hardware”?

Well known issue on the sbc with stamped steel non roller rockers for the ball socket/cup to wear out quickly. The stock valve covers have a drip rail in them but it’s not super effective. There are a few people that make a big rocker nut/poly lock that makes oil drip right on the socket reducing wear dramatically. It offers zero performance gain. It’s main function is the rocker nut. Does that make sense for it to be under the free faster rule? 

On 3/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, Indysupra said:

Well known issue on the sbc with stamped steel non roller rockers for the ball socket/cup to wear out quickly. The stock valve covers have a drip rail in them but it’s not super effective. There are a few people that make a big rocker nut/poly lock that makes oil drip right on the socket reducing wear dramatically. It offers zero performance gain. It’s main function is the rocker nut. Does that make sense for it to be under the free faster rule? 

I would certainty hope so, as it is basically a larger tapered acorn nut...

That being said, i would think a road racing SBC would have an abundance of oiling to the valvetrain, as the heads will struggle to flow back to the pan enough in corners. I would suspect oil is going everywhere in there, and might not have the same issues as an engine driven straight most of it's life...

Email tech to find out the real answer.

I did send it to them as well. 

I agree that you would think that they would have more than enough oil but would rather be safe than sorry. 

I have broken sbc in every imaginable way while racing lemons and champcar.

Never had this failure.

I'm not against it, but I would put it in the logbook and have tech see it to verify.

• Like 1