First time renting a seat

My team is going to rent out a seat in our car for the first time at the Charlotte race. My question is what kind on damage clause/contract do we put in place in case the driver Renting the seat completely botches a turn and damages or totals the car?  Does anyone have a contract that we can borrow?  Thanks 

I’m sure someone will send you something.  I’m on my phone, not my computer, so I don’t have anything handy.  There was a very informative thread a while back that had posts about how to pick out good renters- do a little searching and you will hopefully find some very valuable info there. I wish I could remember the title of it. 

Found it!

Edited by Racer28173

14 hours ago, SCCAchamp said:

My team is going to rent out a seat in our car for the first time at the Charlotte race. My question is what kind on damage clause/contract do we put in place in case the driver Renting the seat completely botches a turn and damages or totals the car?  Does anyone have a contract that we can borrow?  Thanks 

Many contacts will stick it to the driver to cover damage to the car from on track contact some even cover gross negligence (what do you mean the limiter every lap is bad). I think most people are worried about the contact part being the expensive one.

Big thing, you need to establish a "buy out" value for the chassis, make it known, and make it clear that is the cost of the driver purchasing the car in the event of a total loss. Set the cap and work "backwards" in the event less is damaged. It is not crazy to have the cap be 5 grand or more, even though you will reuse most of the running gear the work and costs to rebody adds up.

I try really really hard to only rent to drivers that I know or at least know by reputation.  I did take a complete unknown commodity last year as my 6th driver for Nelson and he proved to be a great teammate and a good driver.  I hope to have him on my team in the future so sometimes it works out...but I did have him acknowledge by email what would happen if he wrecked the car.  

• Like 1

We've been renting out the Mazda since the 2017 Sebring race and have had good luck. We put together a contract for renters that spells out our responsibilities, their responsibilities and indemnifies us as much as the document of this type can do. We have an amendment that defines the payment terms and damage deposit along with a schedule of replacement values for items (wheel, tire, fender, suspension component, etc.). We're reasonable with renters and so far have only held a portion of one damage deposit and that was when the car went off-track and damaged the oil cooler lines, spewing oil underneath the car that seeped onto the clutch and requiring us to replace the clutch as well the cooler lines. 

• Administrators

I get references and video of previous stints from new drivers unless I know them or have raced against them previously. 

All of my driver's know that if something happens on track they are responsible for the incident. Where this doesn't occur is if a motor or transmission is lost due to old aged. 

Also it's always good to discuss the plan going into the race and if it's your goal to win or be competitive then people.migjt not get equal stint time.