Window Nets

16 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I highly recommend a center net. 

Can someone explain the purpose of those, particularly when using a halo style seat?  Are they for debris? Appendage/head control?

1 hour ago, Bremsen said:

Can someone explain the purpose of those, particularly when using a halo style seat?  Are they for debris? Appendage/head control?

Assuming you have a halo, to keep from breaking your hand\arm when flinging around in a wreck, particularly a roll over. On the left side the door bars and pad (assuming you run a door pad) don't let your arm get too far without restraint. Probably low priority, but still a chance. 

After meeting basic cage safety i would add stuff in this order until you feel safe enough

1) more foam on door bars\pad at hand level (broken left hand)

2) knee knockers\leg tunnel (broken legs\feet)

3) center net or padding for right hand protection (broken right hand)

4) impact foam outside of door bars (take the energy out of a t bone wreck)

5) anti intrusion plate\tegris on door bars (remember the truck at amp with a bumper shoved in the door skin?)

I think the greatest safety issue most of our cars face in a wreck is the car beating up the driver....

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bremsen said:

Even with a halo seat and HANS, the center net helps to keep the helmet contained within the wings of the seat.  I've seen a video of an incident where the driver's helmet went forward and was wedged under the halo after an impact.  The car had quality belts that were installed correctly and he was wearing a HANS, but it still happened.  

3 hours ago, Black Magic said:

4) impact foam outside of door bars (take the energy out of a t bone wreck)

5) anti intrusion plate\tegris on door bars (remember the truck at amp with a bumper shoved in the door skin?)

Ok, question on the impact foam/anti intrusion. Where to find big sheets of the stuff? I really like what I see on things like the C7R, but having a hard time finding actual SFI foam for it...

Image result for corvette c7r door open

I can get pads like these from Longacre, glue em up and cut as needed I guess, but doesnt seem like the right thing....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Longacre-52-65130-Black-Door-Bar-Padding,6586.html

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Ok, question on the impact foam/anti intrusion. Where to find big sheets of the stuff? 

This caught my interest, so I looked it up and apparently NASCAR is using IMPAXX foam, which comes in several flavors and can be bought in sheet form here:

https://www.rollbarpadding.com/products/cat-14

I don't know if this is the most cost effective, but it's a start!

Edit: I searched around on the site a little more, they also do custom molding for foam and have SFI rated foam sheets here: https://www.rollbarpadding.com/products/cat-5

Edited by cmi11er
  • Thanks 2

I believe the C7R has a custom honeycomb/epoxy/carbon fiber build up inside the side intrusion box, not foam.  From Doug Fehan "We worked with Wayne State University to pick the right aluminum honeycomb material, then encased it in kevlar/carbon [carbon fiber with kevlar strands in the weave]. It's actually bullet proof—we've fired weapons at it! We thought it might be overkill when we initiated the program but two years ago Johnny O'Connell had a bad crash in the Cadillac race car [also built and run by Pratt and Miller], and a suspension arm from the other car penetrated the door of the car. The box stopped it from impaling him."

In terms of the center net, the Corvette guys used to talk about how in a belt failure or seat mounting failure the window net keeps the driver from entering the passenger side of vehicle and subsequently exiting the vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Ok, question on the impact foam/anti intrusion. Where to find big sheets of the stuff? I really like what I see on things like the C7R, but having a hard time finding actual SFI foam for it...

Image result for corvette c7r door open

I can get pads like these from Longacre, glue em up and cut as needed I guess, but doesnt seem like the right thing....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Longacre-52-65130-Black-Door-Bar-Padding,6586.html

If you want to buy the good stuff, we (in nascar) use a combo of dow impaxx 300 and 700. Another option would be foam insulation, however it will not have the heat\fire resistance and high load rating impaxx does (but is better than nothing)

https://www.circletracksupply.com/dow-impaxx-door-foam-300-series.html

On the inside of this is either steel plating (drivers side, heavy) or tegris (passanger side, reasonable in weight). You need this as a backer to give the foam something to push against (the door bars would just smash through it like a knife thru cheese).

You can get tegris, or buy it's knockoff here for about 100 bucks. Another option would be secondhand nascar panels from SRI in mooresville NC. A fiberglass panel, 1/8" or 1/8" aluminum panel or similar would also be a cost effective method.

http://powerstreamindustries.com/products/mc2p.cfm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1