Rx-7/rotary gallon/hr

wd6681

Can any of you running a rotary share what your gallons/hr rate is? Please share your high end numbers such as a fast driver at a fast track. If you would also share what motor it is and injected or carbed. I am really looking for naturally aspirated motors. Also if willing please share the octane of gasoline you prefer to run.

Thank you 

Cheapest gas you can find.  Seriously.

8 gph usually. Slower drivers can use more due to overslowing.

13b s4 rx7.  

About 7 gph for a 12a carbed car.

We have won races with both engines.

Both 6.port.  the s4 was around 145.  The s5 had 1k higher rpm and a very slight bump in compression that made 160 hp.

Most of the hp was due to the 1k higher rpm and better engine controls.

1 hour ago, wd6681 said:

Rotaries are far less thirsty than I thought. My M20 e30 burns around 8.5-9/hr. 

Yep.  However, the vast majority of engines will make much more power at the same burn rate as a rotary.

10 hours ago, ablesnead said:

and the varible intake runner thingy majigger..

I built an electric actuator for the variable intake when I installed the MS3Pro on my car. The bracket broke so I wired it open and couldn’t tell any difference at all, its intended to switch over around 3000 RPM and if you are driving a rotary at that low of an RPM on track you are not doing it right…..

The best thing you can do to a rotary is to install a well mapped modern ECU, the fuel burn stays about the same but you get a lot more power for the fuel you do burn. Stock 80’s EFI goes crazy rich at high RPM’s on these cars.

4 hours ago, mhr650 said:

I built an electric actuator for the variable intake when I installed the MS3Pro on my car. The bracket broke so I wired it open and couldn’t tell any difference at all, its intended to switch over around 3000 RPM and if you are driving a rotary at that low of an RPM on track you are not doing it right…..

The best thing you can do to a rotary is to install a well mapped modern ECU, the fuel burn stays about the same but you get a lot more power for the fuel you do burn. Stock 80’s EFI goes crazy rich at high RPM’s on these cars.

Do you consider that with these changes they become as efficient as a naturally aspirated piston engine? 

Thats what I was going to say....

Uh, no.

Peak Hp maybe, but area under the curve for a rotary using the same fuel will always be less.

I have read somewhere that it has to do with all of the larger flatish surfaces in the engine that allow the fuel to form droplets that dont really combust.  These droplets of fuel just get swept out the exhaust port without burning.

14 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Thats what I was going to say....

Uh, no.

Peak Hp maybe, but area under the curve for a rotary using the same fuel will always be less.

I have read somewhere that it has to do with all of the larger flatish surfaces in the engine that allow the fuel to form droplets that dont really combust.  These droplets of fuel just get swept out the exhaust port without burning.

Low compression ratio, too.