Fire system suggestions

I am new to Champ, and working to get a car ready to run later this year, at this point I am purchasing new safety equipment, which leads me to  this question.

As far as the fire suppression system goes, can anyone recommend a brand that is " cost effective" that comes with the required SFI or FIA approvals?

I have been looking at systems for $600.00 and still haven't found a system that would be approved to be used in a Champ Car, SCCA yes, but mot Champ, any suggestions?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, JimM said:

I am new to Champ, and working to get a car ready to run later this year, at this point I am purchasing new safety equipment, which leads me to  this question.

As far as the fire suppression system goes, can anyone recommend a brand that is " cost effective" that comes with the required SFI or FIA approvals?

I have been looking at systems for $600.00 and still haven't found a system that would be approved to be used in a Champ Car, SCCA yes, but mot Champ, any suggestions?

Thanks

http://www.lifeline-fire.com/afffextinguishersystems.aspx

Any of these should cover the requirements. Pretty sure champ members get a discount.

• Administrators

3.9.1.2. Minimum 5 LB or 2 Liter bottle capacity – either AFFF / FE-36 / NOVEC 1230 –Rechargeable systems are highly advised. 

The following are 100% legal in ChampCar

http://www.lifeline-fire.com/lifelinezero2000225ltrclubfiremarshalmechanicalsystem.aspx

2.25 liter

$249.

http://www.lifeline-fire.com/lifelinezero200040ltrfiremarshalsteelfiresuppressionsystem.aspx

4 liter

$399

http://www.lifeline-fire.com/lifelinezero2000225ltrfiremarshalslimlinemechanicalsystem.aspx

2.25 liter

$439

• Like 1

Mr. Strong....I may need some clarification for the future of On-Board Fire Suppression System.

Per the BCCR Rules,  3.9.1.1. EFFECTIVE 1/1/20 – Fire suppression systems must have SFI or FIA certification.

The SPA Technique System label shows the FiA homologation number(last row of picture below) and is FiA approved but it does not have an exclusive sticker.
I'm only familiar with the explicit SFI sticker similar to my suit,

Does this meet the 3.9.1.1 rule?

http://www.spatechnique.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=1035&catID=31

image.png.21a71e86e6c66049d73952277efeb91a.png

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Tango said:

Mr. Strong....I may need some clarification for the future of On-Board Fire Suppression System.

Per the BCCR Rules,  3.9.1.1. EFFECTIVE 1/1/20 – Fire suppression systems must have SFI or FIA certification.

The SPA Technique System label shows the FiA homologation number(last row of picture below) and is FiA approved but it does not have an exclusive sticker.
I'm only familiar with the explicit SFI sticker similar to my suit,

Does this meet the 3.9.1.1 rule?

http://www.spatechnique.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=1035&catID=31

image.png.21a71e86e6c66049d73952277efeb91a.png

email tech@champcar.org, info@champcar.org

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

FYI...I believe someone used that same system on a Mini at Harris Hill last weekend. and it failed..

it failed to put the fire out. they said it looked like an old man with prostate issues peeing,.. 

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Talking with the track now.

finding out what type it was.

It looks like it was a filling issue by the local fire company the filled the bottle for them. they did further tests after the event and it worked as it should. 

It was NOT the system above.

From Chisek...

Rule says SFI or FIA cert required.  The link he posted is for an FIA cert kit.  Its good for 10 years from date on bottle, but has to be checked every two years.

• Members

Bottle is DOT certifide for use for ten years. After that it has to have a new hydrostatic pressure test. But the system must be recertifide every 2 years to stay SFI or FiA cetifide.

Starting 2020 we will be enforcing those guidlines.

Older systems had a flexible pickup tube on the inside of the fire extinghisher bottle. The end of the flexible pick up tube had a brass fitting.  That flexible tube moves around in the bottle and the brass fitting actual wears out or rubs through the bottle.  Get your systems certifide if you expect them to work when you do have a fire.

Edited by National Tech

On 4/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, National Tech said:

Bottle is DOT certifide for use for ten years. After that it has to have a new hydrostatic pressure test. But the system must be recertifide every 2 years to stay SFI or FiA cetifide.

Starting 2020 we will be enforcing those guidlines.

Who does this certification?  Do I just pull the bottle out and mail it someplace?  I assume they'll put a new SFI sticker on it?

35 minutes ago, Originalsterm said:

Who does this certification?  Do I just pull the bottle out and mail it someplace?  I assume they'll put a new SFI sticker on it?

Sort of....when you send it in to be refilled and recert you need to go over with them the condition the bottle needs to be in. Short answer, you can't mail pressurised systems easily and they can't mail them back easily. You will be much better off finding a local guy to charge it with gas once you get it back.

I just sent my spa bottle from 2013 to be recertified.

First, I emptied it.  It was like using a freaking pressure washer!

Second, they sent me a new bottle for the cost of the fill and recertification because it was rusty inside.

Highly recommend spa!