MIata front lip spoiler legal

Notoriousjje

• Technical Advisory Committee
17 minutes ago, Notoriousjje said:

Racking my head trying to find answer.  Is the spec miata front lip spoiler legal in Champ?  If so, 10 point "aero" device?

TIA

Looking forward to Daytona

Any rule questions should be addressed to tech@champcar,org but I believe you are correct 10 points , but without pictures or dementions cannot say for sure . See you at the track .

1 hour ago, Ray Franck said:

Any rule questions should be addressed to tech@champcar,org but I believe you are correct 10 points , but without pictures or dementions cannot say for sure . See you at the track .

Sorry I misinterpreted the whole point of this "technical" discussion forum.  

It's the standard lip for a MIata that 90% of the specmiatas run:

sm_runoffs-2.jpg?w=640

2 hours ago, theblue said:

does this come on the street cars from the dealer ever?  it's probably free if you can show that.  if not then likely 10 in my unofficial opinion.

yeah it was a factory piece on some trim levels.

3 hours ago, Notoriousjje said:

just different trim levels of the cars on the list.  

SO 99 miata is on the list.  The "sport" came with it.  Available in US as popular trim model...

If you are running a 99 miata you can use that for 0 points. If you are running a 1992... you can't, unless you can show that the 1992 models also came with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, enginerd said:

If you are running a 99 miata you can use that for 0 points. If you are running a 1992... you can't, unless you can show that the 1992 models also came with that. 

This needs to be stressed, as there seem to be constant questions about whether or not people can run parts from later model (or different model) vehicles on their race car simply because they are "OEM". 

• Like 1

I can't find the study but it went like this in terms of drag coefficient:

flat front + splitter > flat front > lawn edging hanging down around the bottom  > factory lip  > nothing (but barely).  The lip was the least useful of the Mazda potential mods.  I'm sure Partsbadger or someone has done a lot of testing.  

Just now, Jer said:

I can't find the study but it went like this in terms of drag coefficient:

flat front + splitter > flat front > lawn edging hanging down around the bottom  > factory lip  > nothing (but barely).  The lip was the least useful of the Mazda potential mods.  I'm sure Partsbadger or someone has done a lot of testing.  

https://hanchagroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/splitter-or-air-dam-which-design-is-best/

This one by chance!

• Like 1