Wink

Definition of an Air Dam

Looking for clarification, on what accompanying parts come with my ten point air dam. I've seen where ducting from the vertical surface to the radiator is open, but that is not defined. I would assume some sort of flat horizontal piece, not to go past the center line of the front axle would also be open, as this is the most logical way to support the leading lower edge of the dam... Again not defined. 

I am in favor of the direction @National Tech is moving, but unfortunately it is going to create more pages in the BCCR. I am strongly against rolling through tech with new points assigned to parts that have been on the car for years. Thus I am looking for clarification. 

Thank you,

As always, wait for tech's official answer, but IIRC it's anything vertical is an airdam and anything horizontal is then a splitter.

• Thanks 1

From tech -Ray

Any added vertical element = + 10 points 
Any horizontal element added from the front axle forward =  + 10 points 
Radiator  ductwork from the front bumper to the radiator = free

Small Chin spoilers = +10 points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

From tech -Ray

HEY, YAY finally an announcement

Can you please put this on the home page and/or have a video explaining this change to everyone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

From tech -Ray

Would appreciate clarity on a couple points:

1) Using repurposed material to create any of these things is free.

2) A single splitter that extends from up to 12 inches in front of the car (per the BCCR) to the front axle is only 10 points.

As presented above you could interpret the part of the splitter described in 2) that extends forward from the bumper as a "small chin spoiler" worth 10 points and the part of the splitter in 2) that extends from the bumper to the front axle as a "horizontal element added from the front axle forward" worth another 10 points.

the rules say nothing that adds performance is free.

the rules say anything you re-purpose is free.

• Like 1

Isn't there a stipulation that the airdam can't extend above the front bumper? If it does then it is extra points for material?

4.3.2. Fixed Point Value List
• Air intake components ahead of throttle body
(including air filter, air filter housing, air intake tubing,
AFM/MAF): 0 pts
• Aerodynamic Devices
o Spoiler / Wing / Splitter / Diffuser / Aero Pan / Air Dam / Side Skirts: 10 pts/ea
• Aerodynamic devices not to exceed width
of bodywork (fenders, bumpers, doors) when viewed from above. Note: Side mirrors are not included in bodywork width.
• Maximum wing height 12” above roof
• Maximum wing dropback 12” behind car • Maximum splitter reach 12” in front of car

just copied the above from 19 rules.  

Edited by JDChristianson

3 hours ago, jakks said:

Isn't there a stipulation that the airdam can't extend above the front bumper? If it does then it is extra points for material?

No stipulation , but nothing  above the bumper can or will be considered an air dam  . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

4.3.2. Fixed Point Value List
• Air intake components ahead of throttle body
(including air filter, air filter housing, air intake tubing,
AFM/MAF): 0 pts
• Aerodynamic Devices
o Spoiler / Wing / Splitter / Diffuser / Aero Pan / Air Dam / Side Skirts: 10 pts/ea
• Aerodynamic devices not to exceed width
of bodywork (fenders, bumpers, doors) when viewed from above. Note: Side mirrors are not included in bodywork width.
• Maximum wing height 12” above roof
• Maximum wing dropback 12” behind car • Maximum splitter reach 12” in front of car

just copied the above from 19 rules.  

Right, but there is no definition of what an air dam is, or encompasses. That’s is not the same as what Bill quoted. 

31 minutes ago, Wink said:

Right, but there is no definition of what an air dam is, or encompasses. That’s is not the same as what Bill quoted. 

Agree.  That’s why we shouldn’t  be so afraid of making the rule book a little more robust.     Without going to the 800 page scca book.   To balance that,  we need competitors that don’t try to weasel every molecule out of the words.  Not saying you are, that’s just a general statement or thought.      

21 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Agree.  That’s why we shouldn’t  be so afraid of making the rule book a little more robust.     Without going to the 800 page scca book.   To balance that,  we need competitors that don’t try to weasel every molecule out of the words.  Not saying you are, that’s just a general statement or thought.      

It is being worked on. 

I don't agree with the statement " To balance that,  we need competitors that don’t try to weasel every molecule out of the words".
I think that is what makes this sport fun. That's my opinion. I am one of those guys that will push the definitions.

There are many others just like me. 
But then there are those that just want to be told how to build a car SCCA style. That's not for me and a bunch of others.

I DO believe that what tech decides to enforce needs to be written down in the BCCR. I scream and yell this from the flag pole every single freaking day.

Tech hates me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

oh, and I don't give a flying frack how big our book gets. What other series say about us and our not so simple rules means absolutely nothing to me. 
What I do care about is selling out races and keeping you guys happy'ish.  I want to keep the BCCR detailed enough to allow you guys to figure out the points while giving you room to be creative. 

But then I am just the graphic artist and page layout dude.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

That’s BS and you know it!! :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

It is being worked on. 

I don't agree with the statement " To balance that,  we need competitors that don’t try to weasel every molecule out of the words".
I think that is what makes this sport fun. That's my opinion. I am one of those guys that will push the definitions.

But then there are those that just want to be told how to build a car SCCA style. That's not for me and a bunch of others.

I DO believe that what tech decides to enforce needs to be written down in the BCCR. I scream and yell this from the flag pole every single freaking day.

Tech hates me.

Thank you for that Bill!

With rule pushing always comes the possibility of a smack-down, but quite frankly most of us are looking for an advantage out there, and some of these rules make a big difference in point values with how you read them. Half the reason I ask so many questions and push hard here and there on "what is that" is I want to play by the rules and be competitive. 

In regards to air dams, "added vertical element from ground to the bumper" is a darn good start compared to what we have in the book now. I'd still take that a step further and say "added vertical element from ground to middle of factory bumper location", or something like that, but that's just me.

Excuse me while I go move my front bumper to the roof of my car :P:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

It is being worked on. 

Its been 2 months since this change began being implemented.  Do you know when it will be announced so everyone can react accordingly?  How many more teams will be surprised at tech this weekend?  At RAmerica?

It is being worked on. 

Tech hates me.

I knew you’d disagree.  And that’s ok.    Not having details in the rules might be fun, but the price for that fun is a certain level of confusion frustration and tension between competitors, and the organizers.  Some of that could be averted.   

I know people are working away to make improvements.   

• Like 1

This set-up was 10. I can't recall what it was when it was x points per sq foot of materials. I say was because that car is done RIP. The new car will have the same set-up. 

bird.thumb.JPG.1a7dbf8c713d9b9eb2dd9c6771b1df1e.JPG

oh, and I don't give a flying frack how big our book gets. What other series say about us and our not so simple rules means absolutely nothing to me. 
What I do care about is selling out races and keeping you guys happy'ish.  I want to keep the BCCR detailed enough to allow you guys to figure out the points while giving you room to be creative. 

I seem to remember someone changing the BCCR layout and moving the VPI table into a separate document, then printed double sided and proudly proclaimed “new rulebook fits on XX pages!!!!” Do you remember who that guy was?;)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback, in hind sight I probably should have been looking for the definition of a splitter.

Is the extension the splitter or the flat surface the splitter (regardless of termination point)

You can call me a member that weasels the rule book if you like. In my mind if I'm not building, prepping, and driving the car to 100% then I shouldn't expect to finish towards the front. I love competing in everything I do, my team operates the same way. This series allows a ton of creativity in building a car. Far and above my favorite part, next the how well the events are run. 

As ChampCar does a better job of teching cars pre/post race more of these discussions will come. I'm 100% comfortable with defending my interpretation of a rule, but I have a hard time signing off on rules that are not documented, and newly introduced on a given weekend.

Champ Staff, keep up the good work! Loving where we're going as a series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, let me get this straight. $40 worth of plastic and plywood is 20 points.  And a $500+ wind tunnel tested aerofoil is 10 points?

So the general consensus from Tech is that any added vertical element (even a strip along the leading lower edge of the stock front bumper cover/fascia) is 10 points? 

I ask because I was interested in some data that was posted over the last few days relative to chin spoilers/air dams/splitters on a Miata. A simple 4" air dam on a Miata decreased the cD from .36 to .32, decreased the drag, decreased the hp required at 100 mph and increased downforce (from -106# to 60#). 
It's pretty clear that some minor additions can be valuable.