Wink

Definition of an Air Dam

8 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

*sigh*

What, you are getting your wish? (cue up the Michael Jackson music).

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Why are we talking about vipers again?

Whats the distance between that splitter and the ground at your ride height?  Bet its less than 3 inches.

Viper bumper cover acts as an effective air dam anyways...

giphy.gif

Just attach your splitter to whatever fascia is on the car, and lower your ride height until it is close enough to the ground. Simple.

:)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Just attach your splitter to whatever fascia is on the car, and lower your ride height until it is close enough to the ground. Simple.

:)

Skid plates petition got rejected, remember.

#Champcar doesn't care about oil pans

**Wild Card**

I was told to claim "additional air dam material" points in tech at Charlotte, because the air dam went above the bottom of the factory bumper. 

• Sad 1

A3a124b.jpg?1

So you say I can not bend the bottom bumper ? so I will just cut alone the bottom vent/blinker and add 1 pt of wood and call it a day. And move the front stock bottom splash shield  to the rear as a diffuser   no points!!

Edited by DRVOLKS

2 hours ago, Wink said:

**Wild Card**

I was told to claim "additional air dam material" points in tech at Charlotte, because the air dam went above the bottom of the factory bumper. 

Well that sure is interesting?  Especially when there is no "defined" size for any of the aero outside of the body extension rules.

I can see it now,  on a death bed in the year  2075.   “Nurse, one last thing...cough whheeez,  yea um could you send a msg to tech for me?   Sure gramps what is it?   Tell them bastards my air dam and splitter shoulda only been 10 pts!!!  Cough. Wheeze,  thanks Swee.......”. 

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

So we can re-purpose some fixed price aero items but not all fixed. If we use the lower half of our rear bumper as an air dam we should be good, otherwise I guess an upside-down trunk lid will have be our new splitter.

image.png.29b580bdb0ecfa3d293797c6bb2d8d54.png

6 hours ago, zack_280 said:

This thread: 

Image result for dead horse

Problem is the horse is still alive, problem is not solved. We are beating a horse that just won't die, it keeps standing up and telling us something different each time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchkis23 said:

Well that sure is interesting?  Especially when there is no "defined" size for any of the aero outside of the body extension rules.

We got surprise points at Road America for this too.

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

I don’t understand why the fearless leaders don’t spend more time in the forum...

Fact: Only 1% of our leaders use the forum.

Edit: 

Also Fact: If 100% did, we would have already fixed everything.

Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

We got surprise points at Road America for this too.

Who teched your? That was right after Ray made clarification that Vertical Plane was 10 Horizontal was 10. 

image.thumb.png.9712f0f17c6c39b726b9424528c71108.png

13 minutes ago, Wink said:

Who teched your? That was right after Ray made clarification that Vertical Plane was 10 Horizontal was 10. 

image.thumb.png.9712f0f17c6c39b726b9424528c71108.png

Ray and Jay, ours is 22pts (10+10+2) since the dam overlaps part of the bumper where it rivets into place.  I don't think it's possible to build one for less since there has to be overlap to attach the dam to bodywork.  It is what it is.

We over-counted our fastback so I'll adjust that to get back to 485, leaving room for a flat bottom and 5pts for suprises.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

Ray and Jay, ours is 22pts (10+10+2) since the dam overlaps part of the bumper where it rivets into place.  I don't think it's possible to build one for less since there has to be overlap to attach the dam to bodywork.  It is what it is.

We over-counted our fastback so I'll adjust that to get back to 485, leaving room for a flat bottom and 5pts for suprises.

WTF? Air dams can't overlap bumpers now?

Silly me sitting here thinking I had it all figured out.

37 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

Lol!  What?

11 minutes ago, gavro said:

Ray and Jay, ours is 22pts (10+10+2) since the dam overlaps part of the bumper where it rivets into place.

Our air dam overlaps the bumper where it is riveted on and wasn't charged 2 extra points for doing so by Jay at Road America. 

49 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

To be fair with no rule in place Ray and Jay could surprise you at every track for the same/different things and how could you call them wrong?
303sdw.jpg

Edited by morganf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Huggy said:

Why are we talking about vipers again?

Whats the distance between that splitter and the ground at your ride height?  Bet its less than 3 inches.

Viper bumper cover acts as an effective air dam anyways...

giphy.gif

@zack_280 asked for an example, I gave him one. 

It's right at 3" static. 

So the stock bumper cover can be used as an air dam.... I bet that is even 0 points. 

4 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

i thought Air dams couldn't extend past the front wheel center line and the diffuser couldn't extend forward of the rear wheel centerline. Anything between is a belly pan/undertray 

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

i thought Air dams couldn't extend past the front wheel center line and the diffuser couldn't extend forward of the rear wheel centerline. Anything between is a belly pan/undertray 

Yes, my mistake, I alluded to that earlier.  There is no defined size limit on an air dam outside of the minimum of being a vertical element.

33 minutes ago, Snake said:

@zack_280 asked for an example, I gave him one. 

It's right at 3" static. 

So the stock bumper cover can be used as an air dam.... I bet that is even 0 points. 

Id be OK if I was allowed to use whatever materials necessary to get my splitter to ride at 3" static....