Wink

Definition of an Air Dam

4 hours ago, zack_280 said:

Fact: Only 1% of our leaders use the forum.

Edit: 

Also Fact: If 100% did, we would have already fixed everything.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, Huggy said:

FYI 

I have not and do not plan on writing a petition on this topic, as I do not believe in restricting the use of reground cams.

Also,

Are we only talking about lift, or are we also talking about duration?  What about timing?

I read everyone of these post.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, National Tech said:

I read everyone of these post.

Damn 1 percenter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is how I did no air dam the opening on the left and right will be brake ducks no points as in the rules and use a few filler added ply wood 1 point

j5w5GXq.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

This is how I did no air dam the opening on the left and right will be brake ducks no points as in the rules and use a few filler added ply wood 1 point

j5w5GXq.jpg

Looks like you have a 1" airdam under the spliter following the edge most of the way around, at least it looks mostly horizontal to me.

49 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

part of the splitter rub thing, air dam is from splitter to bumper!

I hate to say it, but I don't think the rule really matters.  Below is what is being enforced.

EDIT: If you want an actual answer, ask Tech, but I could see how that would be considered 20pts.

image.thumb.png.9712f0f17c6c39b726b94245

Edited by zack_280

I do not see the front edge being any thing but the part of the splitter. so if you use 1 inch plywood  for the splitter its 20 pt I think not.

7 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

I do not see the front edge being any thing but the part of the splitter. so if you use 1 inch plywood  for the splitter its 20 pt I think not.

So then the the 1point of wood you add aroudn the brake duct could be called an air dam, point is there is no definition so tech will give you however many points they want. I would personally use the bottom half of the rear bumper/fender liner to fill the gap or maybe just use seat cushions and scrap dashboard to fill the gap.

Edited by morganf

33 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

Good point but using inner fender cover and lower splash shied a grey aura  

Champcar rulebook. AKA 50 Shades of Grey Area

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DRVOLKS said:

I agree with you.  Tech might, or might not.  If I were you, I'd e-mail them your interpretation.  Better safe than pissed off when you get to the front of the tech line.

1 hour ago, zack_280 said:

I agree with you.  Tech might, or might not.  If I were you, I'd e-mail them your interpretation.  Better safe than MORE pissed off when you get to the front of the tech line.

FIFY

• Haha 1

Don't really have a dog in this fight yet, but its not surprising.  We haven't gone though tech yet this year, but I fully expect at indy something we've been running the past two seasons to be given points this year.  

Say what you will about other series, but the power to weight rule books with modifiers make our rule book look like the 2019 tax code.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Don't really have a dog in this fight yet, but its not surprising.  We haven't gone though tech yet this year, but I fully expect at indy something we've been running the past two seasons to be given points this year.  

Say what you will about other series, but the power to weight rule books with modifiers make our rule book look like the 2019 tax code.

I bet you are using H & R Block for 2018 and have not read the 2019 tax code.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, National Tech said:

I bet you are using H & R Block for 2018 and have not read the 2019 tax code.  LOL

My good buddy Scott Tucker did mine from northeastern Kansas

• Haha 1

I like this definition.. Food for thought 

"Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia."

17 minutes ago, Wink said:

I like this definition.. Food for thought 

"Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia."

What about an air dam angled at 7degrees from vertical?

And what if it extended from just inside the outermost edge?

Very specific definitions invite lawyers and ashats to skirt them on technicalities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Insert the word Only or Must, problem solved! Make all air dams uniform to a common rule set. 

4 minutes ago, enginerd said:

What about an air dam angled at 7degrees from vertical?

And what if it extended from just inside the outermost edge?

Very specific definitions invite lawyers and ashats to skirt them on technicalities. 

Edited by Wink

39 minutes ago, Wink said:

Insert the word Only or Must, problem solved! Make all air dams uniform to a common rule set. 

Don’t tread on my creativity, bro!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Don’t tread on my creativity, bro!

Couldn't agree more! That's what drew me to the series in the first place, but I'm getting tired of trying to hit a moving target on claimed points. Car looks to fall pretty close into ST5, so we may dip our toe into that.

48 minutes ago, Wink said:

but I'm getting tired of trying to hit a moving target on claimed points

QFT!

Pretty awesome when even National Tech makes fun of how complex our rules are by comparing them to tax law.

I to did Chump for the fun of the build and racing now with this trend to do points for ever thing . I am over 500 with my car if they keep adding point to it on Friday. I will just switch to EC and in stall my back up engine kit out of the trailer Friday night 700+ HP on pump gas and clutch kit and show them what speed creep looks like !!  

jysz0jT.jpg

19 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

I to did Chump for the fun of the build and racing now with this trend to do points for ever thing . I am over 500 with my car if they keep adding point to it on Friday. I will just switch to EC and in stall my back up engine kit out of the trailer Friday night 700+ HP on pump gas and clutch kit and show them what speed creep looks like !!  

jysz0jT.jpg

Install it anyway!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DRVOLKS said:

jysz0jT.jpg

Nice setup!  I have a similar build going into my street TT.  I'm kind of jealous you are racing a TT in Champcar