Jump to content
Wink

Definition of an Air Dam

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, zack_280 said:

Fact: Only 1% of our leaders use the forum.

 

Edit: 

Also Fact: If 100% did, we would have already fixed everything.

 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, Huggy said:

FYI 

I have not and do not plan on writing a petition on this topic, as I do not believe in restricting the use of reground cams.

 

Also,

 

Are we only talking about lift, or are we also talking about duration?  What about timing?

I read everyone of these post.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, National Tech said:

I read everyone of these post.

Damn 1 percenter.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how I did no air dam the opening on the left and right will be brake ducks no points as in the rules and use a few filler added ply wood 1 point

 

j5w5GXq.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

This is how I did no air dam the opening on the left and right will be brake ducks no points as in the rules and use a few filler added ply wood 1 point

 

j5w5GXq.jpg

 

Looks like you have a 1" airdam under the spliter following the edge most of the way around, at least it looks mostly horizontal to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

part of the splitter rub thing, air dam is from splitter to bumper!

I hate to say it, but I don't think the rule really matters.  Below is what is being enforced.

EDIT: If you want an actual answer, ask Tech, but I could see how that would be considered 20pts.

image.thumb.png.9712f0f17c6c39b726b94245

Edited by zack_280

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not see the front edge being any thing but the part of the splitter. so if you use 1 inch plywood  for the splitter its 20 pt I think not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

I do not see the front edge being any thing but the part of the splitter. so if you use 1 inch plywood  for the splitter its 20 pt I think not.

So then the the 1point of wood you add aroudn the brake duct could be called an air dam, point is there is no definition so tech will give you however many points they want. I would personally use the bottom half of the rear bumper/fender liner to fill the gap or maybe just use seat cushions and scrap dashboard to fill the gap.

Edited by morganf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

Good point but using inner fender cover and lower splash shied a grey aura  

Champcar rulebook. AKA 50 Shades of Grey Area

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRVOLKS said:

I do not see the front edge being any thing but the part of the splitter. so if you use 1 inch plywood  for the splitter its 20 pt I think not.

I agree with you.  Tech might, or might not.  If I were you, I'd e-mail them your interpretation.  Better safe than pissed off when you get to the front of the tech line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zack_280 said:

I agree with you.  Tech might, or might not.  If I were you, I'd e-mail them your interpretation.  Better safe than MORE pissed off when you get to the front of the tech line.

 

FIFY

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't really have a dog in this fight yet, but its not surprising.  We haven't gone though tech yet this year, but I fully expect at indy something we've been running the past two seasons to be given points this year.  

 

Say what you will about other series, but the power to weight rule books with modifiers make our rule book look like the 2019 tax code.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Don't really have a dog in this fight yet, but its not surprising.  We haven't gone though tech yet this year, but I fully expect at indy something we've been running the past two seasons to be given points this year.  

 

Say what you will about other series, but the power to weight rule books with modifiers make our rule book look like the 2019 tax code.

I bet you are using H & R Block for 2018 and have not read the 2019 tax code.  LOL

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, National Tech said:

I bet you are using H & R Block for 2018 and have not read the 2019 tax code.  LOL

 

 

My good buddy Scott Tucker did mine from northeastern Kansas

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this definition.. Food for thought 

 

"Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wink said:

I like this definition.. Food for thought 

 

"Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia."

What about an air dam angled at 7degrees from vertical?

 

And what if it extended from just inside the outermost edge?

 

Very specific definitions invite lawyers and ashats to skirt them on technicalities. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insert the word Only or Must, problem solved! Make all air dams uniform to a common rule set. 

 

4 minutes ago, enginerd said:

What about an air dam angled at 7degrees from vertical?

 

And what if it extended from just inside the outermost edge?

 

Very specific definitions invite lawyers and ashats to skirt them on technicalities. 

 

Edited by Wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Wink said:

Insert the word Only or Must, problem solved! Make all air dams uniform to a common rule set. 

Don’t tread on my creativity, bro!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Don’t tread on my creativity, bro!

Couldn't agree more! That's what drew me to the series in the first place, but I'm getting tired of trying to hit a moving target on claimed points. Car looks to fall pretty close into ST5, so we may dip our toe into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Wink said:

 but I'm getting tired of trying to hit a moving target on claimed points

QFT!

 

Pretty awesome when even National Tech makes fun of how complex our rules are by comparing them to tax law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I to did Chump for the fun of the build and racing now with this trend to do points for ever thing . I am over 500 with my car if they keep adding point to it on Friday. I will just switch to EC and in stall my back up engine kit out of the trailer Friday night 700+ HP on pump gas and clutch kit and show them what speed creep looks like !!  

jysz0jT.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

I to did Chump for the fun of the build and racing now with this trend to do points for ever thing . I am over 500 with my car if they keep adding point to it on Friday. I will just switch to EC and in stall my back up engine kit out of the trailer Friday night 700+ HP on pump gas and clutch kit and show them what speed creep looks like !!  

jysz0jT.jpg

 

Install it anyway!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DRVOLKS said:

I to did Chump for the fun of the build and racing now with this trend to do points for ever thing . I am over 500 with my car if they keep adding point to it on Friday. I will just switch to EC and in stall my back up engine kit out of the trailer Friday night 700+ HP on pump gas and clutch kit and show them what speed creep looks like !!  

jysz0jT.jpg

 

Nice setup!  I have a similar build going into my street TT.  I'm kind of jealous you are racing a TT in Champcar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...