Wink

Definition of an Air Dam

On 5/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, Snake said:

Example #2, and this is just what its in my garage. I'm sure we can find more examples of splitters being attached directly to bumpers.  You sitting here repeating claims don't actual make them facts.  

20190515_082640.jpg

not going to bash anybody here, but that "splitter" is pretty much for looks. and where's the air dam? Now this Challenger has and air dam and splitter. th?id=OIP.QzxzFOcH9gZJolqvxHw1tAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=273&h=183

3 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

not going to bash anybody here, but that "splitter" is pretty much for looks. and where's the air dam? Now this Challenger has and air dam and splitter. th?id=OIP.QzxzFOcH9gZJolqvxHw1tAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=273&h=183

Well thats a TA2 car with a tube frame chassis.   I would hope it has real aero.   

The original Biohazard has a splitter directly attached to the car with no air dam added.  

^^^ So youre saying an MR2 is basically an SRT Hellcat/Viper? And it's HOW MANY points VPI??!!!  /greenfont

• Haha 1

Here's how I see it.  

1. A functional splitter is 20 pts for many cars since an integral part of the functional splitter is an air dam.
  2. In recent years, the splitter rule was not consistently applied/interpreted with some teams charged 10pts and some 20pts for effectively the same thing.
  3. A more strict interpretation is now being applied to all vehicles which separates the vertical and horizontal aero into individual components.
  4. The rule no longer matches the interpretation (since a splitter in many cases does require an air dam to be functional).
  5. The new interpretation is crystal clear to me...It just doesn't match the rule.  So update the rule to match the clear interpretation. 
  6. Then we can start a new thread to b!tch about getting screwed by the rule change rather than about the rules not matching the interpretation.
Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Now theres a car I wouldn't mind test driving....

this one too... 

th?id=OIP.b-yE2hGT5w-NrPiA_0YHYgHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=209&h=158

Another way to look at it is almost as if the intention is to give you 10pts for any airdam/lip/chin spoiler(fig. 1) and then 10pts for (horizontal) underbody(fig. 2) from the bumper to the front axle line. Usually the horizontal part is one piece and that makes it confusing.
In other words if you made a chin spoiler that didn't go back to the axle line (didn't include what is circled in fig.2) I would argue its only 10pts regardless of the hor/vert angles.

image.png.80c0b860913c36048f79519ac045dbf3.pngfig.1

image.png.432a8f5bc77e5c6444d63484e5507a07.pngfig.2

Edited by morganf

3 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

^^^ So youre saying an MR2 is basically an SRT Demon/Viper? And it's HOW MANY points VPI??!!!  /greenfont

FIFY

We'd like the same VPI as the MR2, thanks! 

5 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

what really sucks is how many cars are now losing by one lap because of this rule interpretation

For every car that loses by one lap there is a car that wins by one lap, just sayin'

• Like 1

6 hours ago, morganf said:

Another way to look at it is almost as if the intention is to give you 10pts for any airdam/lip/chin spoiler(fig. 1) and then 10pts for (horizontal) underbody(fig. 2) from the bumper to the front axle line. Usually the horizontal part is one piece and that makes it confusing.
In other words if you made a chin spoiler that didn't go back to the axle line (didn't include what is circled in fig.2) I would argue its only 10pts regardless of the hor/vert angles.

image.png.80c0b860913c36048f79519ac045dbf3.pngfig.1

image.png.432a8f5bc77e5c6444d63484e5507a07.pngfig.2

Figure 1 is 10 points

Figure 2 is technically 20 points but you might get away with claiming 10 since the vertical element is so small. Take that vertical element away and Figure 2 is back to 10 points.

Hope that clarifies for you a bit Morgan

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Figure 1 is 10 points

Figure 2 is technically 20 points but you might get away with claiming 10 since the vertical element is so small. Take that vertical element away and Figure 2 is back to 10 points.

Hope that clarifies for you a bit Morgan

Sorry I was talking about what is circled in red and theorizing on the possible alternate intent of rules.

Figure 2 is most definitely 20points no such thing as small vertical element in the current interpretation.

just cut the bumper from left to right and use some filler stuff brake duck work is free and radiator ducking is free too

before 

s0RJuKp.jpg

After duck work 

OCxFqfN.jpg

claim 10 points 

Edited by DRVOLKS

With the parts points drop does it even matter? I mean who doesn't have 10 points to spare? Do you even need an air-dam when you can have a 400hp motor for 150 points?

7 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

With the parts points drop does it even matter? I mean who doesn't have 10 points to spare? Do you even need an air-dam when you can have a 400hp motor for 150 points?

#500pointcarsmatter

• Like 3

9 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

#500pointcarsmatter

well you already have a cheaty car so deal with it....lol

• Haha 1

<>Just a reminder airdams start at the bottom of the riginal location of the oe bumper.  Anything above it, i.e. covering the oe bumper is going to cost you points, not many, because it is not a ton of square feet, but that extra strip can make a big difference on some cars so it can't be free.  Tech has to interpret existing rules so that they do not give a specific vehicle an unfair advantage. </>

<note from CEO Mike Chisek -  The above paragraph has been redacted. There was a misunderstanding between tech and management as to the interpretation of the air dam rule.> 

Also if you are confused about a rule get off the forum and send me your questions.  I will answer and then you will know.

Should have a mid season report covering all the rules or interpretations that have caused inquiries or aggravation at tech coming out next week.

I have a big server so send questions over to me.

Jay.mauney@champcar.org 

If you are old school I will return a phone call if you leave a message.  In your message please tell me your car type, team name and topic to be discussed.

5619217903 on the east coast and I have kids so dont call after 8pm

ChampCar is Member owned, member managed and member policed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, National Tech said:

Just a reminder airdams start at the bottom of the riginal location of the oe bumper.  Anything above it, i.e. covering the oe bumper is going to cost you points, not many, because it is not a ton of square feet, but that extra strip can make a big difference on some cars so it can't be free.  Tech has to interpret existing rules so that they do not give a specific vehicle an unfair advantage. 

Also if you are confused about a rule get off the forum and send me your questions.  I will answer and then you will know.

Should have a mid season report covering all the rules or interpretations that have caused inquiries or aggravation at tech coming out next week.

Jay.mauney@champcar.org 

If you are old school I will return a phone call if you leave a message.  In your message please tell me your car type, team name and topic to be discussed.

What if the forward most point of your bumper is halfway up the bumper?  Can we at least go to there?

Just a reminder airdams start at the bottom of the riginal location of the oe bumper.  Anything above it, i.e. covering the oe bumper is going to cost you points, not many, because it is not a ton of square feet, but that extra strip can make a big difference on some cars so it can't be free.  Tech has to interpret existing rules so that they do not give a specific vehicle an unfair advantage. 

Jay.mauney@champcar.org 

This is ridiculous.  I had to check to see if it was April 1, but sadly its not. Hopefully you see how crappy this interpretation is going to make things.

Its either an air dam, or its not.

Why did YOU decide that aero needed a points increase?  Why are YOU changing the rules mid-season.  This is the, no offense, bull-crap that causes members to get upset and jump ship.  YOUR interpretations of the non-specific rule book are functionally equivalent to rule changes, and YOU are making these with no oversight, no advance notice, and no awareness.  PLEASE STOP.  Use the proper channels to make these changes if you are sure that they are merited.

None

False

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

@National Tech   What is below the bumper on a miata?  We have a response from Mike C.  I’m curious if we should be expecting something different. 

D1339B3E-4782-4AA3-BE34-E8FFF7EE3D25.jpeg

You'll need to allocate 20pts to make a proper splitter on a miata, which leaves you with what, 180pts left to play with😊

16 hours ago, National Tech said:

Jay.mauney@champcar.org 

What?  My airdam is basically at the bottom of the bumper and goes up to the middle of the bumper.  I only run an airdam.

If this is the new interpretation, change the rule to something specific.

You have seen my car for the last few years.  Am I now being charged more points?

If so, that is just pushing everyone with an airdam to run a splitter as well.

If y'all wanna increase points for aero, do it.  Don't use weird interpretations to do so.

Also, it is not techs job to level the playing field.  If a mod gives a specific car more of an advantage than another, that is okay.  That's why we don't all race the same car with the same mods.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

You'll need to allocate 20pts to make a proper splitter on a miata, which leaves you with what, 180pts left to play with😊

Yea we’ve taken 10 for the air damn and 10 for the splitter for 2 years.  But thanks for the update.  😀 The pic is to show a stock front and see what the answer from tech.