LuckyKid

PartsBadger - Miata #630

1 hour ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Have you had more contact than Tuttle now?

I have been hit by Tuttle enough times that I might be close.  Not even all in the same car....

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I have been hit by Tuttle enough times that I might be close.  Not even all in the same car....

Not a fair fight - Tuttle has two cars.   

Oh wait, team Badger just got a second car.  😂

18 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Not a fair fight - Tuttle has two cars.   

Oh wait, team Badger just got a second car.  😂

From a sheer statistical perspective, we should take each other out by Turn 5 and thus leave the rest of the field with clean fenders for the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

Your teams performance is what we are aspiring towards.  Clean, consistent, and also fast.

Ironically the 626 I contacted in practice won $1500 from Mazda for winning B Class, which has to be one of the biggest prizes ever for a Champcar race.

Nobody from Mazda can tell me what the actual contigency is or if we've won anything.   I've called twice. 

Just now, Snake said:

Nobody from Mazda can tell me what the actual contigency is or if we've won anything.   I've called twice. 

Crazy, you guys deserve it.  I was instructed to send in my stuff by the deadline and then to send in photos of our patches once they arrived.  I hope it works out, we're holding off on ecotec partly because of the contingency.

10 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

Crazy, you guys deserve it.  I was instructed to send in my stuff by the deadline and then to send in photos of our patches once they arrived.  I hope it works out, we're holding off on ecotec partly because of the contingency.

Who did you speak with?  I left a vm for the contingency person yesterday as he is currently on vaca.   The gentleman that I spoke with was trying to be helpful he just did not know or understand the contingency program for our series. 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Who did you speak with?  I left a vm for the contingency person yesterday as he is currently on vaca.   The gentleman that I spoke with was trying to be helpful he just did not know or understand the contingency program for our series. 

Sounds about like my plight trying to use the mazdacomp discount program when I raced my miata. Crickets most of the time, but if they needed your attn for something, the communication was endless.... 

Good luck, mister

23 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

I am 100% open to input and we've substantially changed our approach.  Maybe the word "rule" is wrong, where by the rule is actually a general understanding of expectations on the track.

If the following expectations are incorrect, please let me know.

"The correct interpretation I discovered is that every driver is entitled to their own line.  There are many skill levels and car types and everyone pays the same as you and is entitled to the track, all of it.  It's not only the passing cars responsibility to control the car, but to communicate with the driver ahead, to anticipate any line and leave enough in reserve to maneuver as needed to a non-traditional line."

That said, if there are other rules of thumb, or input that helps, I am all ears.

Rule of thumb, don't try to game the competition at a fully amateur event through a close reading of the passing rules. There's no percentage there, only broken stuff, as you people well know.

My rule of thumb when you guys are at the track: tell everybody i know to watch out for your car and give you plenty of room.

I'm a competent, relentless and even aggressive driver in most cases. You all are the only team and car to which I'll sacrifice pace to let pass. If i know you're coming and I'm in a car that's slower than yours, I'll just jump out of the way and hope you move on quickly without hitting me. I mean, I will eat crap on that lap time just to not be close to your car. 

So, bring all the speed, transparency and clever quips you want here and to the track, but apply some common sense and a little less sea lioning and stop hitting people. Nobody wants to get hurt trying to enjoy this sport with you. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Snake said:

Get that pay quickly.. before they figure out that your ‘winning’ car is actually placing 8th or 13th or 27th or whatever it actually is....

23 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

are you trying to justify hitting another team in practice? 

giphy.gif

Yea...that's pretty dumb.  My two cents (and you still might need change) from what I saw, is just over-aggressive driving.  Car is plenty fast, drivers seem to be pretty decent skill wise, just too much risk-taking aggression.  You guys would have won rd atl (an amazing feat for a miata btw) had it not been for the contact and penalties.  I watched some of your in car and I don't know who was driving, but he was just a seat full of anger the whole time...didn't really look like fun being mad the whole time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scottyk said:

I heard they play this thru earpiece during entire stint. 😂

You couldn't be more wrong.

We've actually just closed a deal with Racebar to follow us and blast this track on loop as we collide our way through the field.

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Road America was supposed to be a big testing ground for us being our home track, a test day and two races, unfortunately issues we struggled to get the car completed in time.

New splitter 3", stock sway bars, the fastback, and new alignment was all tested.

The head was ported before the race but we were unable to tune it and it seemed to run a little rich and felt like it had a little less power vs. Road Atlanta.

Alignment:

Front camber: 1.5 degrees

Front caster: 4 degrees

Front tow: 1/16 out

Rear camber: 2.0 degrees (mechanically cannot get less)

Rear toe: no toe

Tire pressures at 25psi, needed 24 or 23 on the right front.  This was the sort-of hot temps from practice. 

Weighed 1970 with a full tank.

Tire temps were almost perfect.

We ran with and without the rear sway bar and it was faster with the rear sway bar.

The new fastback drastically changed the airflow in the cockpit.

Overall our laptimes we're about a half a second faster than in fall 2018 getting out top time down to 2:48.797

The car had much less stability under braking vs last year which I believe accounts for at least 5 tenths in increased lap time overall.

Moving forward we believe the fastback is a solid improvement and the 3" splitter needs more testing.  I also want to try to get the braking stability figured out.

After the first stint, the motor died at pit in and wouldn't refire.  Compression was down across the board despite turning a 1:51 prior to the inlap. We swapped in a new motor which was a 100k untouched junker, vs the current motor with porting, head and block shave and fresh build.

Apples to apples the junker turned a 1:51.264 which is about 2.5 seconds slower.  16 laps in the junker blew a front oil seal and we were out for day 2.

Edited by LuckyKid