LuckyKid

PartsBadger - Miata #630

On 4/8/2019 at 10:35 PM, LuckyKid said:

Engine - JDM 99 Miata Swap - Shaved Head & Balanced (JDM has a BP5A Intake Cam & Square top Manifold)

This is very curious as the JDM/EDM swap rule is very specific: 4.5.5.1. JDM and EDM engines are allowed provided they have the same displacement and construction as the USDM engine and are within 3% of the USDM advertised horsepower.

The cam and intake manifold alone make the construction different and thus against the rule. You're also telling me that the JDM cam and Intake increase the power by less than 4hp that is allowed under the 3% rule?

Balancing is legal but the shaved head must also be claimed as it's a performance advantage.

VPI - 350

Camshaft - 50

Intake - 50

Coilover - 40

Header - 25

MPV - 515 without anything else included.

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

This is very curious as the JDM/EDM swap rule is very specific: 4.5.5.1. JDM and EDM engines are allowed provided they have the same displacement and construction as the USDM engine and are within 3% of the USDM advertised horsepower.

The cam and intake manifold alone make the construction different and thus against the rule. You're also telling me that the JDM cam and Intake increase the power by less than 4hp that is allowed under the 3% rule?

Balancing is legal but the shaved head must also be claimed as it's a performance advantage.

VPI - 350

Camshaft - 50

Intake - 50

Coilover - 40

Header - 25

MPV - 515 without anything else included.

I've provided all documentation to members of the board, Mike Chisek, and Jay.  I've proven that the JDM rated power is within 3% and this has been accepted as a legal swap.  Whats more I am required to run the JDM manifolds and cams or take points.   I've also been told we can rebuild the engine to factory service limits by tech.

I am just doing what they tell me I can do.

Whats more, I am publishing my power numbers and you can see they are not out of line.  If I were in the 160's (what ecotech hit from the junkyard) I could see some concern.  No doubt we are fast, but as many people found out at WGI and some of the other races, we struggle on the straights versus all of the other top 10 cars.

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 1:32 PM, HeelToeNick said:

But why are you trying to do so many modification to aero and body work when you still don't have an engine that lasts more than 6 hours. You have 4 drivers whose lap times exist in different area codes. There's so many other things you can do. You're just pushing a sport in the wrong direction the same as any other governing body has done for any race series in the past 15 years! You're going to drive away teams that dont want a fracking DRS system on their car! This series started as a $500 car series and now you've just built a $500 wing! How do you not see your problems?

zombodroid19062015013005.jpg

You do know there have been cars in lemons and this series with Drs technologies for like 8 or 9 years, right?

• Thanks 1

Uh...  Nick...  Richard....  can I talk to you for a minute please?

Go work on your own damn cars and stop giving this guy a hard time.  

Just because somebody does something not specifically listed in the rules doesn't mean they are changing the direction of the series.

Likewise, when there is an incident, it doesn't mean it was intentional and directed at you.

We are racing.  Incidents happen (to be honest I would be pissed if somebody pointed me by and still turned in).  People push the rulebook.

Go have a 5 minute time out and see if you can come back a little more constructive.

• Like 10

On 6/6/2019 at 1:48 PM, Racer28173 said:

If it eventually becomes a problem, then Champ can outlaw it. 

I think this theory is more of an issue than most people are aware of.

So far, Champ has been extremely reluctant to pull back on any rules that have become "problems". Lots of "horse has left the barn" type comments and "we'll drive away a team or two" but very little action or retraction when unforeseen consequences appear. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 11:45 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

You do know there have been cars in lemons and this series with Drs technologies for like 8 or 9 years, right?

Schumacher Taxi had active aero on two different cars 7-8 years ago.  

• Like 1

I like that people are trying to build a better mousetrap out of cheap, easily accessible parts.  There might/could be a value associated with that, but I don't want to cap ingenuity in a builder's series.