turbogrill

Engine swap - mix swapped with orginal parts

3 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

yes i understand that. I don't know what the OP wants to do.

I want to swap in a  Mazda3 2.5 in a 2.0 Miata. After the swap the lower performance 2.0 intake fits perfectly on the 2.5 engine so it's easy peasy., everyone does this.

The 2.5 intake might might fit on the 2.5 head but it's from a FWD car and the TB would face the firewall, so some creativity needs to be done (loop back the intake inside the drivers compartment? Chimney?)

No one seems to have tried to use the 2.5 intake since it would require a bunch of fabbing and a bunch of madmax insanity, welcome to chumpcar is what I say.

9 hours ago, turbogrill said:

I want to swap in a  Mazda3 2.5 in a 2.0 Miata. After the swap the lower performance 2.0 intake fits perfectly on the 2.5 engine so it's easy peasy., everyone does this.

The 2.5 intake might might fit on the 2.5 head but it's from a FWD car and the TB would face the firewall, so some creativity needs to be done (loop back the intake inside the drivers compartment? Chimney?)

No one seems to have tried to use the 2.5 intake since it would require a bunch of fabbing and a bunch of madmax insanity, welcome to chumpcar is what I say.

I have no idea why people would complain, especailly if there is no performace gain. You are already going to take the "swap" hit.

18 hours ago, karman1970 said:

Yeah, but you aren’t engine swapping, plus, both of intake options came on the 305 in the 3rd gen F-body.  You are dealing with platform swap stuff, not a true engine swap.  What you can’t do, for example, is swap in an LS and then keep the factory 3rd gen induction system for free (if you were nuts enough to try that).

Nah I'll just use a set of Vortex heads and be done.

36 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

I have no idea why people would complain, especailly if there is no performace gain. You are already going to take the "swap" hit.

Because it is against the rules currently.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, turbogrill said:

haha I think I have seen that. Looks fantastic.

On the NC Miatas with 2.5 swap the intake would face the wrong way towards the firewall. Is there anything in the rules not saying you can have the intake in the drivers cabin :)

I think if you firewall it from driver you are all clear. Maybe cut a panel out of firewall to make a mandrel bent "u" and send the inlet back up front to base of windshield. Using sheet metal make a panel to close off the firewall where you cut it out. 

Be careful of the "neon" problem where the intake bits poking out the hood block your apex vision on hilly tracks....one of the few cars i have ever raised the seat on.....

I have seen "wrong way" intakes done with fwd v6 engines put in rwd cars.

42 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

I have seen "wrong way" intakes done with fwd v6 engines put in rwd cars.

I have seen many/all the FWD v6 swapped Champ cars taking liberty with more powerful RWD parts (intake/exhaust)because they " do not fit the conversion " .

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I have seen many/all the FWD v6 swapped Champ cars taking liberty with more powerful RWD parts because they " do not fit the conversion " .

Can you give an example?  I think this is an issue that could use some attention.

I know exhaust manifolds are a big discussion.  (I leave the points available when I go through tech for my headers on my swap).

I DO have 2.8 v6 accessories (water pump and alternator) and timing cover on my 3400.  I claim pulleys and explain to tech what's going on.  

None of the front of engine stuff is better.

I basically take an additional 35 pts or whatever to make my swap fit in the car.

I do think it's a bit weird that headers are half the points of intake manifold.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

I think if you firewall it from driver you are all clear. Maybe cut a panel out of firewall to make a mandrel bent "u" and send the inlet back up front to base of windshield. Using sheet metal make a panel to close off the firewall where you cut it out. 

I asked about routing an intake through the driver cabin and received a resounding "no" from tech. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, revvhappy said:

I asked about routing an intake through the driver cabin and received a resounding "no" from tech. 

And based on safety, compatible rear wheel drive intakes are allowed, it’s the exhaust that people should be forced to be more creative with what they have rather than getting a free header,  factory design( even if from a different model ) needs to be choice one 

This is really very simple.... If the engine doesn’t fit... don’t swap it into your car.

(Or take points to make it fit)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

And based on safety, compatible rear wheel drive intakes are allowed, it’s the exhaust that people should be forced to be more creative with what they have rather than getting a free header,  factory design( even if from a different model ) needs to be choice on

is it? Where?

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

This is really very simple.... If the engine doesn’t fit... don’t swap it into your car.

(Or take points to make it fit)

I can make a lot of things fit...

1 minute ago, turbogrill said:

is it? Where?

Not sure what you are asking?

If the intake is interfering with structure or firewall it is allowed to change to a RWD version of the same intake, side benefit on some engines is "free" HP others not so much, but the rules must fit all.

4 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not sure what you are asking?

If the intake is interfering with structure or firewall it is allowed to change to a RWD version of the same intake, side benefit on some engines is "free" HP others not so much, but the rules must fit all.

Where is this specified? Sounds awesome :)

Thanks

Swap nuance?

I would say, Structure is to be defined is a part that can not be worked around, firewall is firewall and not to have a air intake crossing through.

Just now, Team Infiniti said:

Swap nuance?

Yes, it's one of those things where it would cost a lot of money/time to make something perform worse and less safe just to save some points.

11 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Where is this specified? Sounds awesome :)

Thanks

This is/was where the official ruling came.

Edited by morganf
  • Thanks 1

Well, Damn. 

I spent all that time cutting a hole in my firewall, building a cover to seal it back up, and stressing about packaging cooling, intake, throttle body, and wiring into a small space for no reason? I have room in my budget to include an intake adapter that would have solved a myriad of problems. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

And based on safety, compatible rear wheel drive intakes are allowed, it’s the exhaust that people should be forced to be more creative with what they have rather than getting a free header,  factory design( even if from a different model ) needs to be choice one 

I like this.  I would totally do this if I had to.  As is, I just keep my header points available and let tech decide.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, revvhappy said:

I was sort of thinking that the spot the intake went would no longer be the driver cabin (move firewall a few inches)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1