Aleru

The Daytona Beach Enduro

Awesome Racing out there and a close race all the way until the finish

Congratulations to Team 90 Rbank Racing for a well earned Victory.

And a huge thank you to all the Corner Workers, safety team, and staff at the sunny Daytona Raceway that helped keep our Race safe, fun and running smoothly, and to all you Racers who came out here to make this such a fun race.

The Race Results are in!

They can be found online at:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1644747

And you can download Lap times and Results from Google at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19Jt6HK_cQsJE0MaARSWV-JWLA9wjYMwu?usp=sharing

First Batch of Event Images...

Photographer - Kurt Roussell

https://www.fastcarphotos.com/galleries/2019-14-hours-of-daytona/

ChampCar.Live Part 1 - 

ChampCar.Live part 2

• Like 1

Another question from someone who wasn’t there:  Were some cars “bumped” to EC that would have normally run as a classified car?  The EC count seemed high and I was surprised to see some teams that I believe have run non-EC running EC. 

Does anybody know how many cars took the checker? In other words, how many cars on track at the finish? 

1 hour ago, red0 said:

Thank you Champcar staff and volunteers for a great event! 

2X

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Another question from someone who wasn’t there:  Were some cars “bumped” to EC that would have normally run as a classified car?  The EC count seemed high and I was surprised to see some teams that I believe have run non-EC running EC. 

Was not paying attn, but tech was extremely through this time around.

4 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

We moved to EC to get out of the sun. True story! 

Also awesome to start on outside pole at Daytona with so many cars lined up behind us!

Edited by sonofamitch
  • Thanks 1

Well...  almost two years ago this was my situation....  

22553387_1469472916439326_63231462275958

Last night...  running at 11 pm...  after losing two cars, a trailer, tools, shop, everything..   to then be nominated and awarded this Sportsmanship award for our team is so awesome and I can't tell you guys how much it means to me to be back first and foremost and have my team name on the entry form...  to actually run some laps was just icing on the cake...  even though we spent several hours off track, we learned a lot about our car, our setup, and finally I have some real world data to work with....

56915779_10157123092852346_8143592133081

Thank you to everyone that has helped me, thank you to Mike and Staff...   too many people to thank..  big shout out to the people who contributed to that GoFundMe a while back...  every bit of it was part of making last night happen...  

• Like 31

Not a great day for Crowd Control Racing and InActiv Motorsports. 

We tested the Cobra at Sebring last week and had very good pace, however, we developed a driveline issue. We thought it was resolved Thursday night after a trip back to the shop, apparently not. It recurred yesterday less than an hour into the race and we were forced to retire the car. We believe the solution is relatively straight forward, but we were not able to solve and get the car back into the race. We had high expectations and believe we had a chance at a podium. 

The InActiv Motorsports Mazda 626 was doing well for the first four hours. At nearly the end of the 2nd stint, the driver brought the car in stating it had a slipping clutch. Upon further investigation @MoparBoyy diagnosed it was a leaking main seal. The car went into a garage, a new main seal and clutch were installed and the car came out right around 6 hours into the race, losing about a stint. We had solid renters who kept at it for the remainder of the race and placed 38th OA. A huge hats off to our crew that helped @MoparBoyy. All of our renters (except our full time guy) got their full stints in the car and for all but one, it was their first time racing at Daytona. 

Neither car suffered any major mechanical issues, both drove into the paddock and trailer. I'd guess they'll both be back to 100% by...uhh...Wednesday knowing Alex. 🤣

57114845_2164499713627081_17926866646492

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Vern here, driver of the Saab sports sedan that was involved in the late night incident at the bus stop. Thanks to the track first responders for their awesome work and professionalism. I'm fine. No major injuries. Just a little bruised up. 

I want to apologize to the driver of the RX7. My car suddenly shut down and lost all power. I could not get off the track fast enough. I hope and pray that the driver that hit me is okay. Racecars can be fixed or replaced, people, not so easy. 

I want to thank Champcar for giving us the opportunity to race a track like Daytona. Looking forward to Charlotte race in 2 weeks. See you all there.

GO R.Bankracing. 90racing.com. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Justin9 said:

to then be nominated and awarded this Sportsmanship award for our team is so awesome and I can't tell you guys how much it means to me to be back first and foremost and have my team name on the entry form...

Great to see how ChampCar remembers it's roots. Congrats on rebuilding!

Better days are ahead.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Snorman said:

The InActiv Motorsports Mazda 626 was doing well for the first four hours. At nearly the end of the 2nd stint, the driver brought the car in stating it had a slipping clutch. Upon further investigation @MoparBoyy diagnosed it was a leaking main seal. The car went into a garage, a new main seal and clutch were installed and the car came out right around 6 hours into the race, losing about a stint.

I spent a very enjoyable 20 minutes nose to tail with the Mazda during the 2nd stint (11-1pm). Very respectful and clean racing - please thank whoever was driving. 

Peter

Hong Norrth #8 MX3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

First off, shout out to Peter over at Irish Viking Racing.  He passed me shortly after dark in one of the BMW E34s and gave me a carrot to chase.  The next 6-7 laps were some of the hardest I've ever driven trying to get back around someone (and I did!!!).  Some of the finest, cleanest head to head racing I've had the pleasure of sharing, and he seemed as happy with the tiff as I did.

As for our weekend.  Amazing what one mistake at home can do.  We had some help packing the trailer and our helper grabbed the wrong spare tires.  He grabbed the ones that weren't mounted on wheels (!!!).  So, at hour 5 as we're cruising along in a top5 overall position our right rear Nexen tire delaminated.  A normal 5 minute pit stop turned into a 45 minute trip to the paddock and choice to turn Daytona into a 14hr test session for the Datsun.  We'll be back soon, another bullet loaded in the chamber.  This thing is wicked fast.

No photo description available.

57104115_1219965308169656_1506130565533794304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=b220ada05c52a2a0c8df37862a7a6bcb&oe=5D3E9596

Edited by riche30
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, revvhappy said:

I spent a very enjoyable 20 minutes nose to tail with the Mazda during the 2nd stint (11-1pm). Very respectful and clean racing - please thank whoever was driving. 

Peter

Hong Norrth #8 MX3

Thanks for the feedback. That was Marcus. We were watching the livestream during the 5-7 pm stint as another of our drivers was out there having some fun with the MX3. They were going back and forth for a few laps. 

Hey all!

So, we've been having axle troubles recently...it's gotten bad enough that the team has started collecting pictures of me covered in axle grease replacing CVs in the paddock.  Before Daytona, we bought four brand-new APWI axles off rockauto.com and re-packed them with swepco grease and added a vent tube.  We were really looking forward to solving that problem and having a 'boring' race day that only involved putting fuel in and swapping drivers.

Of COURSE it didn't work out that way.

One of our drivers forgot his race suit at home (in Palm Bay, fortunately), and didn't even realize it until we went to put in fuel for the first driver change!  Thank you Chris and Never Start Racing @BeastZ06 for giving us a hand with our first couple pit stops!  That rearranged our driver order, and rather than going last, I was tossed in third.

As soon as I pulled out of the pits, I could feel the driver's side axle dying.  Damn it!  I did an hour and change of my stint knowing it was failing, but it didn't come apart.  I came in a few minutes early to take a look, and sure enough, the boot was blown apart and grease was everywhere.  Rather than push our car backwards the length of pit lane (why was that even a thing?), I went for a gentle loop around daytona and parked it in the garage.  An hour later, the car was back together and on track.  Two hours after that, the new driver's axle failed again, this time ripping the splines off the axle end.

PSA: APWI axles are garbage.  We'll try to find some OEM ones and adjust our front suspension geometry to handle the camber better - I think all our camber has decreased the spacing between the trans and the hub enough to run out of axle play.

Our last spare driver's side axle was installed so we didn't have to push the car onto the trailer (it wasn't in great shape, so we didn't want to try and race on it), and we started drinking beer.  Everyone got at least one stint, and one guy got two (and got towed back in).

Notable incidents from my stint (gopro didn't cooperate, so no video):

Our car grips shockingly well these days - I think I scared more than a few cars by not lifting at the kink when they would try and get by on the inside. We had plenty of traction to hold the outside line even at full throttle.

Some e36 got by me going into the bus stop, but I was close enough to see the rear-facing gopro recording me ride up his backside.  I think I surprised him when he looked in his rearview on the way out, because he jerked a full car width to the right all of the sudden!

One of the tuttle mitsus tried to remove my hood through turn 1, then over-cooked it in turn three and hit the right rear quarter of the Himarc BMW pretty hard.  That BMW lost a tire and almost spun right in front of me at the kink.  I saw the busted wheel in their pit later - took what looked like six inches out of the rim of the thing.

Whatever team was running the old Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse - I had a blast swapping positions with you from about 12 to 130.  You'd always overhaul me on the straights, and I'd get by in the infield, rinse and repeat.  It was great!

Edit:  Just remembered I tried to remove the hood from a camaro? going into turn 5 - I didn't see you!  My bad, glad you avoided me!  I had someone come by me on the right and moved left to give room, and failed to see you coming!

Overall, it was a disappointing day, but it could have been so much worse.  The garage next to us had the somewhat melty cone crushers car in it all day - a reminder to appreciate the track time we did get!

See y'all at Sebring!

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

See y'all at Sebring!

Glad you guys made it back out.  Honestly when we blew the rear main and clutch one of the first thing came to mind was.. "contour guys are going to beat us"   After we got back out and started turning laps again, i saw us catch you on timing and scoring.  When I saw our driver pass you near start finish to get back in front and I cheer'd a little bit (sorry).  The battle of the crappy sedans will rage on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

The battle of the crappy sedans will rage on!

Hah!  Yeah, we were thrilled to see us ahead of y'all for a bit, but then we had our own troubles.  Eventually we'll get this car sorted and reliabled.  Only problem we've had for the last three races is this damn CV problem, and I'm pretty sure we can sort it out soon.  Then maybe we'll both get clean races and one of us can talk some real poop at the end!

BTW we figured out our "ready-to-race, full-of-fuel, but no driver" weight is   ... drum roll ... 2755 lbs.  =O

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

One of the tuttle mitsus tried to remove my hood through turn 1, then over-cooked it in turn three and hit the right rear quarter of the Himarc BMW pretty hard.  That BMW lost a tire and almost spun right in front of me at the kink.  I saw the busted wheel in their pit later - took what looked like six inches out of the rim of the thing.

So around 5 pm, our driver was on his pit-in lap at the end of his stint. In T6, he got hit from the left rear and spun. 

One of the Tuttle cars came in behind him and was serving a penalty. Our guy got out of the car and said he was hit by one of the orange Tuttle cars. @MoparBoyy went and asked Ray (who was working pit in) what happened. The Tuttle car was being black flagged for something else. The driver was waving to the corner worker to acknowledge the black flag, and hit our car in the process.

Thankfully, there was no damage to our car so it wasn't a hard hit. But just...what

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yea....I found it kinda odd the one tuttle car ran a 2:14.1.  That seems really fast for a C class car.  The next best was a rbank sabb at 2:16.6

1 minute ago, FlorahDorah said:

Some people can't do things. 

Fixed it for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

Some people can't do two things at once. 

Like drive a race car and have consideration for the other cars on track?  Seems like a team problem rather than a driver problem.

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

Like drive a race car and not crash into a lot of other cars.

FIFY

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Yea....I found it kinda odd the one tuttle car ran a 2:14.1.  That seems really fast for a C class car.  The next best was a rbank sabb at 2:16.6

takes a lot of horsepower to run those times at daytona, i'm sure those motors are stock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1