30 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

The battle of the crappy gold standard sedans will rage on!

FTFY!  Glad to see you guys make it back out on track.

Haha, i heard someone from Inactive getting interviewed by Bill on the live stream and answer the question about how it feels to get out of the Stang and into the "family car".  For starters, next time tell @Bill Strong to shove it with that backhanded insult! 😁 General consensus that the 626 is a heck of a lot of fun.  I immediately went back online to search again for another 626!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

FTFY!  Glad to see you guys make it back out on track.

Haha, i heard someone from Inactive getting interviewed by Bill on the live stream and answer the question about how it feels to get out of the Stang and into the "family car".  For starters, next time tell @Bill Strong to shove it with that backhanded insult! 😁 General consensus that the 626 is a heck of a lot of fun.  I immediately went back online to search again for another 626!

We all really like the 626. None of us will hesitate to get in it at the track. We don't get much seat time in it these days since it's typically fully rented. 

I have to say that for the four hours I was out there: 9 to 11 and 3 to 5, the driving, with one or two exceptions was really great.  I tried to give racing room when I thought someone was trying to come through or when I was trying to pass in one of the corners and for the most part I was given racing room when I needed it. I saw no contact at all the entire four hours.  I was in the #918 Visceral Racing Group 944 Porsche.  I particularly enjoyed the twenty minutes or so that I, the #999 and the Honda Fit were going at it.  We were all overdriving at one point or another trying to either stay ahead or get by.  I was going to stop by their pits and just say thanks for that but we blew an axle and that pretty much ended our day.  We were in second at the time with about 5 hours to go so it sucked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hardwolf said:

I have to say that for the four hours I was out there: 9 to 11 and 3 to 5, the driving, with one or two exceptions was really great.

You just reminded me: myself and everyone on our team said the same thing.  Overall, the driving seemed a hell of a lot more tame than Daytona last year. Maybe we just were in different places on the track from the wild stuff this time around, but none of us complained about the average level of aggression we encountered.  Good clean racing. 

Just now, krispykritter said:

You just reminded me: myself and everyone on our team said the same thing.  Overall, the driving seemed a hell of a lot more tame than Daytona last year. Maybe we just were in different places on the track from the wild stuff this time around, but none of us complained about the average level of aggression we encountered.  Good clean racing. 

I was in stint 3 and the final stint, and the driving I witnessed was overall quite good IMO. I had a lot of close racing with a John Cooper Works mini, a yellow Integra, a Honda fit, a couple BMWs, etc. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Yea....I found it kinda odd the one tuttle car ran a 2:14.1.  That seems really fast for a C class car.  The next best was a rbank sabb at 2:16.6

Yeah ... that Tuttle Car was flyingggg on the high banks. In the first stint, I found it kind of comical he decided to throw it in to the bus stop side by side with me with a late braking attempt because he had a "run". For reference, I brake at like the 1.25 - 1.5 brake marker going into the busstop, which is pretty late. So you can imagine how bad he jacked up the bus stop for both of us (thanks bud), and then before you know it, he was already at start finish by the time i straightened out after Nascar T4. Not surprised the team got black flagged, because I am sure there were other poor decisions made too :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Team Infiniti skipped this one but I was there to network, buy parts and drive the U.S.S Enterprise, I got more then bargained for 🙂

This is the 3rd time "going racing" without a car, what a different experience!  As a car owner, it is nice to sit back and have things like registration and tech magically happen, conversely, I can sympathize with renters when things do not go as expected. (Helped with a head gasket the first time renting)

The biggest thing I can see as a owner: keeping expectations in line with your renters,  knowing exactly how driver induced repairs would be billed, team goals etc. seem to go a long way to making sure everyone is on the same page & happy.

Big thanks to Big Money Wasters for the BMW parts, great parts at a great price, bigger thanks to everyone that helped move our "new" e30 cage (with shell) from trailer to trailer, and the biggest thanks, to Justin9 for not only, turning me on to the e30 cage, but actually paying the seller, picking it up, storing, AND delivering to the track... then... wait for it... letting me spin some laps in Speedway Creations brand new Firebird!\

Having driven 4 different cars @ Daytona, none have stuck like this one does in the infield, that car is going to be a contender.

Speedway Creations, honorary sponsor of Team Infiniti.

I hope the daytime "red suit driver" in the Enterprise did not offend, there is much to take in and learn when driving grinning ear to ear navigating a battleship.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

We all really like the 626. None of us will hesitate to get in it at the track. We don't get much seat time in it these days since it's typically fully rented. 

Tim here from the ADS racing #234 Dodge Neon- I consider the 626 to be the standard for how a class B car should run. Some of these other class B cars have us by up to 10s a lap no matter the track while the 626 has us by 4-6 seconds which we can maybe fix. EDIT- I take it back after REALLY checking lap times; 626 has us by 10s as well. Jon, need more powwa

Now for the racing experience: I have driven the Neon at least 7 races and this was by far the most fun I have had in the car- actually passing a few cars. We had like the 7th  slowest lap time compared to the entire field but managed to finish 26th and 5th in class out like 17 class B cars! Thanks to owner/carchief Jon for another MacGyver like fix to get around the terrible blow by that plagues this poor tired motor.

Edited by NGO28
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, hardwolf said:

I have to say that for the four hours I was out there: 9 to 11 and 3 to 5, the driving, with one or two exceptions was really great.  I tried to give racing room when I thought someone was trying to come through or when I was trying to pass in one of the corners and for the most part I was given racing room when I needed it. I saw no contact at all the entire four hours.  I was in the #918 Visceral Racing Group 944 Porsche.  I particularly enjoyed the twenty minutes or so that I, the #999 and the Honda Fit were going at it.  We were all overdriving at one point or another trying to either stay ahead or get by.  I was going to stop by their pits and just say thanks for that but we blew an axle and that pretty much ended our day.  We were in second at the time with about 5 hours to go so it sucked.

I'm still gutted the Level 1 Miata's bottom end gave up just 6 hours into the race. We had everything going our way for an overall podium (non EC cars counted), but it wasn't meant to be. 

I saw some bonehead driving out there, but it was more related to scared novices than anyone being too aggressive. I mostly remember having a great stint with the 2nd driver in the Visceral Racing 944 ( @hardwolf - not sure who 2nd driver was, but he was fun to be around) and two E36 C class cars that I used for drafting to increase our mileage. I feel like I was around the VR 944 and one of those two BMW's almost my entire stint. We were not really racing, but lapping quickly and efficiently to make it to the end. It was an absolute blast. 

Thank you Champcar for putting on a great event as always! Level 1 is already looking forward to our next event where we plan to have a fresh engine that will go the distance!  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, johnwilding said:

I'm still gutted the Level 1 Miata's bottom end gave up just 6 hours into the race. We had everything going our way for an overall podium (non EC cars counted), but it wasn't meant to be. 

Was that the blue miata that was pumping smoke out the tailpipe for a few hours?  I followed it around for a few laps and it was a bit smokey under braking but nothing crazy - but then when we went FCY for a few laps, it would smoke real bad under light acceleration.  I was getting high following it around!  This was around 12-130 or so.

Edit: Appears not to have been you guys!

Edited by krispykritter

I drove 4th in the #90 Saab. Met up with the 125 E30 about half way through and had an awesome drafting session. Hope I didn't mess with you when I was following so closely. You had great pace so I never went for the sling shot figuring we'd both be faster that way. I was hoping you'd get in closer on the follow draft after I found a little faster gap through traffic in the infield! That's what Daytona is all about though. Great race, glad to see some old friends and glad to finally drive the winning car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

takes a lot of horsepower to run those times at daytona, i'm sure those motors are stock. 

And I'm sure there not using $1K barrels of race fuel either...have they finished a race since their blatant cheating at Sebring Dec '17?

Heard they also thoroughly damaged a  Cayman/Boxster at Cota this past December in another endurance series...

There's going to come a day when they are going to seriously hurt themselves or someone else

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:37 AM, a914freak said:

How many cars were put on the Dyno?

Any results?

56 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

Was that the blue miata that was pumping smoke out the tailpipe for a few hours?  I followed it around for a few laps and it was a bit smokey under braking but nothing crazy - but then when we went FCY for a few laps, it would smoke real bad under light acceleration.  I was getting high following it around!  This was around 12-130 or so.

Edit: Appears not to have been you guys!

No sir, our Miata is black with orange cage bars in the back. It's very subtle looking and easy to miss. Our engine didn't give any sign of giving up until it was dead and we only got a pencil eraser hole in the block by the starter, so it's still a mystery to us. 

• Sad 3

On 4/14/2019 at 1:42 PM, FlorahDorah said:

Does anybody know how many cars took the checker? In other words, how many cars on track at the finish? 

I did an informal count near the end and it was over 50 under 70. Attrition was higher than I ever remember....

• Thanks 1

Yea what happened to Cone Crushers?  I had them in my top 5 for sure, along with KSR.  I hate it for both teams.  I didnt get to watch much of the race as it was my birthday and I was doing taxes, and I was moving out of my old house.  Would of MUCH rather been at Daytona.

Edited by Jab31169

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I did an informal count near the end and it was over 50 under 70. Attrition was higher than I ever remember....

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Yea what happened to Cone Crushers?  I had them in my top 5 for sure, along with KSR.  I hate it for both teams.  I didnt get to watch much of the race as it was my birthday and I was doing taxes, and I was moving out of my old house.  Would of MUCH rather been at Daytona.

Cone Crushers had a brand new fuel rail with a defect. Word from my team was it was a carbon copy of the failure at Road Atlanta that caused yet another fire. I was up in the booth, but that's what I heard.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Cone Crushers had a brand new fuel rail with a defect. Word from my team was it was a carbon copy of the failure at Road Atlanta that caused yet another fire. I was up in the booth, but that's what I heard.

Can confirm, talked to Rich about it.

I want to know the story about the camo green Mustang. That was such a pretty car before the race. But every corner on that car was bent in, and there was even a mark on the roof. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I want to know the story about the camo green Mustang. That was such a pretty car before the race. But every corner on that car was bent in, and there was even a mark on the roof. 

Sounds like a Mustang out there doing Mustang things...

• Like 2
  • Haha 10