Aleru

The Daytona Beach Enduro

8 hours ago, Domination said:

Last year we had a driver lose all forward momentum trying to avoid ANY contact from fanning cars passing him when a fuel pump died. We were leading the race and it was one lap after a yellow restart so the pack on his heals was large and also impatient. They split him as he waited for the gap between a pack of cars to break for the dirt. He made it to the left edge of the track but couldn’t get it in the grass. That led to the best Memo Gidley reinactment since Memo Gidley. Unfortunately the track hadn’t improved flagging from the international horseshoe to the kink after that. It also cost a Miata team their race weekend and several more to rebuild plus the numerous hours it took us to rebuild the Saab. Thank god there where no injuries. Crazy as it seems the damage we both have to fix from this weekend, although avoidable, is a win comparatively and what our driver is supposed to do when you lose power. 

Our team now makes it a point to tell any novices to go ahead and force contact if that’s that it takes to not die on track but it’s also important for us and every other team to please provide an exit path if they see a car severely off pace. Be patient, look up and keep it shiny side up y’all  

Errr...  from my vantage point in the car, you a painting a much rosier picture of last year's incident than what actually happenned. Your driver was creeping along on the edge of the track for a long time. There is no way I would have remained on the pavement, in that situation. Driving through the grass at 5 mph in a Champcar probably won't damage your car, but your driver chose to stay on the racing surface and destroyed 3 cars, and was fortunate that there were not serious injuries.  

2 very different situations, IMHO.

• Like 2

That’s the first I’ve heard he was creeping along the track edge for a long time and it contradicts what he says. I’m glad there is no way you would have remained on the pavement in that situation! Emergency risk management task hierarchy is something you should mentally prepare for. He pulled the wrong move trying too hard to not force anyone behind him into evasive action but a 20 mph delta contact is better than a 90 mph delta. Like Rush said, if you choose not to choose you still have made a choice. As apparently no contact wasn’t an option. 

Two different situations in my opinion as well. Better choice by our driver. This time I only have to fix a smashed quarter panel and bent LR suspension. Despite how it may have looked with him getting pulled straight into the ambulance, it was all precautionary. The driver is just fine. 

I wonder if if we should have an “engine off” strobe light mounted to our roofs or something similar. 

1 hour ago, DanKing said:

Errr...  from my vantage point in the car, you a painting a much rosier picture of last year's incident than what actually happenned. Your driver was creeping along on the edge of the track for a long time. There is no way I would have remained on the pavement, in that situation. Driving through the grass at 5 mph in a Champcar probably won't damage your car, but your driver chose to stay on the racing surface and destroyed 3 cars, and was fortunate that there were not serious injuries.  

2 very different situations, IMHO.

Yeah.  Your version of history is much more accurate.  The car was stopped parallel to the tracks edge.  Had it lost momentum trying to get off of the track, it would have been at an angle.  Had it truly been “stuck in the middle”, it would have been in the middle.  

I’m watching the in-car video of the #226 KSR car (I was in the #223), and they were black flagged because the 2 Finger Camaro passed them under caution, then gave the spot back coming out of six.  It’s quite easy to tell who the offending party was, because everybody is either just on the yellow line, or on the apron, except for the Camaro going full blast up at the wall, and a SC300 and V-8 Camaro sound nothing alike.

And on a similar subject, we need another flag stand between six and seven, ESPECIALLY with the wide discrepancy in speeds between some cars (say an M3 and a VW bug).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, racerfink said:

I’m watching the in-car video of the #226 KSR car (I was in the #223), and they were black flagged because the 2 Finger Camaro passed them under caution, then gave the spot back coming out of six.  It’s quite easy to tell who the offending party was, because everybody is either just on the yellow line, or on the apron, except for the Camaro going full blast up at the wall, and a SC300 and V-8 Camaro sound nothing alike.

And on a similar subject, we need another flag stand between six and seven, ESPECIALLY with the wide discrepancy in speeds between some cars (say an M3 and a VW bug).

I agree, it's the Wild West during a local yellow between 6 and 7, there is little to no regard for the caution flag. We're in a Miata so any momentum we lose is huge and it's painful to be stuck behind the cars that do decide to obey the yellow, especially when they are a novice and slow to a crawl due to confusion; then inevitably someone flies by you at 100 mph faster because they ignored the caution all together.

Unfortunately, I don't see where they could place another flag marshall in that area, so I doubt much will change. :(

29 minutes ago, johnwilding said:

I agree, it's the Wild West during a local yellow between 6 and 7, there is little to no regard for the caution flag. We're in a Miata so any momentum we lose is huge and it's painful to be stuck behind the cars that do decide to obey the yellow, especially when they are a novice and slow to a crawl due to confusion; then inevitably someone flies by you at 100 mph faster because they ignored the caution all together.

Unfortunately, I don't see where they could place another flag marshall in that area, so I doubt much will change. :(

From working the Rolex a couple times the only thing that has been come up with is an observation station at the end of the paved apron at the opening in the wall in NASCAR 1 and another observation station on the inside at NASCAR 2 at another opening. As for the speed difference on the banking it always has been slow cars in the low line (unless passing and then right back down to the low side) and the faster cars go to the top. 

Several times I saw a yellow just before exiting the infield at NASCAR 1 but then track fence lights were green so everyone took off only to see a disabled car on the backstretch. I felt like that local yellow should have been observed until the bus stop flag station could be seen but the overwhelming consensus was to get going on the banking. What's the rule there??

• Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 9:03 PM, Racer28173 said:

@Doc   Isn’t THIS the Enterprise?

41D0E72E-F69E-4774-A367-75AA5DC26D47.jpeg

The DOD will neither confirm or deny the existence of this vessel. It is NOT listed on the Naval Registrar.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Several times I saw a yellow just before exiting the infield at NASCAR 1 but then track fence lights were green so everyone took off only to see a disabled car on the backstretch. I felt like that local yellow should have been observed until the bus stop flag station could be seen but the overwhelming consensus was to get going on the banking. What's the rule there??

At one point I was on the apron, less than 15 cars behind the safety car and one of the Mini’s cruises by on the bank between NASCAR 1 and 2, merging into line around 6 cars behind the safety car.  I called it into my team but I am not sure it was reported.

We did report the 701 EC car for no brake lights.

Ryan

11 hours ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

You are correct, under a local yellow you go by the flags. See the flag, no passing until you are clear of the incident (no matter how far away it its) and you can see the next station has no flag.

With that said, the fence mounted lights on the NASCAR track caused us headaches. Right now there is no way to activate individual lights. On the big track it's all or nothing. So my options are to go full course for everything (which I don't think you want) or try to work locals. I've got some thoughts for next year and I plan to talk to the track and see if there's a way we can do this so you drivers are better informed.

Dana

• Like 4

On 4/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, TiredBirds said:

yikes what happened to the Precision Motorsports Camaro? they had a lap time of 2:09? 

I talked briefly to one of their drivers to see if we could offer any parts to repair their car. He said, "we lost the transmission". I asked which transmission they were running and he said, " you'll have to ask the owner, he owns Precision Transmission" ! LOL!

• Haha 5

On 4/15/2019 at 11:31 AM, TheJohnDavison said:

Yeah ... that Tuttle Car was flyingggg on the high banks. In the first stint, I found it kind of comical he decided to throw it in to the bus stop side by side with me with a late braking attempt because he had a "run". For reference, I brake at like the 1.25 - 1.5 brake marker going into the busstop, which is pretty late. So you can imagine how bad he jacked up the bus stop for both of us (thanks bud), and then before you know it, he was already at start finish by the time i straightened out after Nascar T4. Not surprised the team got black flagged, because I am sure there were other poor decisions made too :) 

I know 2 weeks leading up to the race they were looking for a driver in the Champcar Garage Facebook page and a it was a free seat from what I recall.

13 hours ago, a914freak said:

I know 2 weeks leading up to the race they were looking for a driver in the Champcar Garage Facebook page and a it was a free seat from what I recall.

Kinda amazing what a "stock" 3L engine will do right......I mean riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???????

Just be thankful that they didn't run into you under caution........or while receiving a black flag.............

Edited by CutlassRacer
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CutlassRacer said:

Kinda amazing what a "stock" 3L engine will do right......I mean riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???????

Just be thankful that they didn't run into you under caution........or while receiving a black flag.............

I don't think their claiming their engines as stock needing to run Haltech's and race fuel?

Edited by Racer7x

Last year he tried to go 2 wide into the chicane with me @ Charlotte, he was up close to the wall and I was in the middle.  Not sure what he was thinking but he locked up and almost took out the guy behind him.  I have 360 degree video of the incident if I find it I will post.

11 hours ago, Racer7x said:

I don't think their claiming their engines as stock needing to run Haltech's and race fuel?

I think they are probably mostly legal.    free injectors, claim cams, deck and machine the heads, race fuel, standalone on a VQ30 should be 220-250hp which sounds about right for how they blow past our E36.

I can't lie, it has me considering doing similar to our M50 if that's what is going to take in this age of speed creep.  I'm hoping my petition to ban race fuel lowers that expensive bar a little.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theblue said:

I think they are probably mostly legal.    free injectors, claim cams, deck and machine the heads, race fuel, standalone on a VQ30 should be 220-250hp which sounds about right for how they blow past our E36.

I can't lie, it has me considering doing similar to our M50 if that's what is going to take in this age of speed creep.  I'm hoping my petition to ban race fuel lowers that expensive bar a little.

Unfortunately, I found a new reason not to ban race fuel... this weekend we miscounted fuel jugs (thought a couple were full but they were half full) just minutes before a scheduled pit stop. We had to run to the pumps at the track and fill a jug with green 98 octane... would hate to be DQed for that!

On 4/15/2019 at 12:30 PM, NGO28 said:

Tim here from the ADS racing #234 Dodge Neon- I consider the 626 to be the standard for how a class B car should run. Some of these other class B cars have us by up to 10s a lap no matter the track while the 626 has us by 4-6 seconds which we can maybe fix. EDIT- I take it back after REALLY checking lap times; 626 has us by 10s as well. Jon, need more powwa

Now for the racing experience: I have driven the Neon at least 7 races and this was by far the most fun I have had in the car- actually passing a few cars. We had like the 7th  slowest lap time compared to the entire field but managed to finish 26th and 5th in class out like 17 class B cars! Thanks to owner/carchief Jon for another MacGyver like fix to get around the terrible blow by that plagues this poor tired motor.

Find the first 2.4 pt na motor (01 or 02) you see on your way home, toss it in and don't look back. 95 to 00 stratus is also an option, but getting harder to find.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theblue said:

The series CAN'T ban cars that need race fuel to run, but they sure can make a rule that they have to run in EC class...

• Like 1

There has been enough questionable circumstances surrounding those orange convertables to warrant a very close inspection. They have already been busted for running an engine that was different than what they claimed it was.....then "withdrew" so that they were not kicked out for outright cheating. 

27 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

The series CAN'T ban cars that need race fuel to run, but they sure can make a rule that they have to run in EC class...

That was actually my petition idea (go to EC).  I should have been clearer here.

@enginerd if you are out of fuel like that, I'd loan you some 93 :)

Edited by theblue

On 4/15/2019 at 11:30 AM, NGO28 said:

Tim here from the ADS racing #234 Dodge Neon- I consider the 626 to be the standard for how a class B car should run. Some of these other class B cars have us by up to 10s a lap no matter the track while the 626 has us by 4-6 seconds which we can maybe fix. EDIT- I take it back after REALLY checking lap times; 626 has us by 10s as well. Jon, need more powwa

FYI the classes are not based on speed, they are based on arbitrary engine displacements which have no real bearing on speed or power. 

• Like 3