Tech Line Issues explain yours to help others

Gkuhn41

Were headed to Road America in 3 Days. Our first trip through "Super Tech" as ill now call it. Im not worried about points, our car is very straight forward. What i am worried about is safety tech. The car has passed tech 3 straight years with no issues, but it seems as though the recent weeks people have been turned away all together or sent back for adjustments on cars that had previously passed at an alarming rate.

Thought i may be nice for some to explain some things that caught them off-guard or surprised them so other can look over their cars before tech to make this a little less painful at the track for everyone.

Example : We thought we had XYZ straightened out but Jay checked this way and found it wasnt good enough he wanted ABC done.

Dont take this the wrong way im all about thorough tech line just hate people being turned away or having to work all test day to get something simple worked out.

• Like 2

• Administrators

1. SFI Padding on the cage where your helmet would hit. No pool foam.

2. Fuel Cell covered or firewalled from the driver. All fuel components firewalled away from driver effective April 126, 2019.

3. Cage welds.
4. holes in the engine firewall and the fuel tank/cell firewall.  (BIG ONE THEY LOOK AT! Especially with Miatas as those guys rip holes in it to extend the down bars from the main hoop to the frame rail.)
5. Power off switch shutting the car off when needed.
6. REMOVE steering wheel lock, a hand full were discovered at Daytona.
7. Decals installed BEFORE you get to tech. REMOVE old CHUMPCAR Horizontal number panels. Decal rules not followed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way the firewall holes/gaps were checked.....if Jay could look in your trunk and see ANY LIGHT coming through from the interior of the car....you failed.  He required sheet metal and foam to seal up the holes.  No more metal tape.

It's a reasonable safety request, but something that can take time to fix.  Better to do it before you arrive at tech.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Can buy at Home Depot, Lowes sells something like it too. located in the flue and fireplace parts area.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Fireblock-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-with-Quick-Stop-Straw-99053992/207077797

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Johnpickard79 said:

To be clear on this, if we still have the horizontal number panels but with the tire rack sponsor part on it, these need to be changed before we can race? 

correct.

• Administrators

2018 RVA Graphics and Wraps sponsored number panels are good, and we have an overlay. But the older (2017 and older) panels are no longer allowed, even with overlays.

Blank Panels will be available at Road America. Bring your own numbers.

$45 for a set of 3 blank panels

Were using 3m Fire putty to seal smaller holes/seams around bars is this acceptable instead of foam for those flat surfaces. This stuff is used widely in construction it doesnt set up hard it stays pliable so it will not chip or crack out. We have got an extra stick of this some aluminum and rivets if there are any more problems

Link to putty.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Fire-Barrier-1-45-in-x-6-in-Moldable-Putty-Stix-MP-Flexible-MP-Stick/206873182?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|D27E|27-11_TOOLS_%26_ACCESSORIES|NA|PLA|71700000033101173|58700003868916496|92700031090206616&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-Oex9TS4QIV9f_jBx1OIg08EAQYAiABEgKeC_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

• Administrators

I am not tech...
But I do build cars.
I like to take the aluminum or flashing and coat one side with the fireproof RTV or that putty, and pop rivet it to the hole. every bit of time you can give your driver is better for him or her.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I am not tech...
But I do build cars.
I like to take the aluminum or flashing and coat one side with the fireproof RTV or that putty, and pop rivet it to the hole. every bit of time you can give your driver is better for him or her.

What i did with the holes 1/2" or better so at least i have someone as smart (Dumb) as i am!

Thanks Bill

20 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

1. SFI Padding on the cage where your helmet would hit. No pool foam.

2. Fuel Cell covered or firewalled from the driver. All fuel components firewalled away from driver effective April 126, 2019.

3. Cage welds.
4. holes in the engine firewall and the fuel tank/cell firewall.  (BIG ONE THEY LOOK AT! Especially with Miatas as those guys rip holes in it to extend the down bars from the main hoop to the frame rail.)
5. Power off switch shutting the car off when needed.
6. REMOVE steering wheel lock, a hand full were discovered at Daytona.
7. Decals installed BEFORE you get to tech. REMOVE old CHUMPCAR Horizontal number panels. Decal rules not followed.

For #3, whats a quick description of this, were people missing welds??

• Administrators
1 minute ago, IPF Racing said:

They see this all the time. "Pro-Built" cages with missing welds. Missing tubes. etc.

This is still in development, but we are trying to make it so that you guys know exactly what we are calling for when it comes to cages.

BETA PAGE

https://champcar.org/mainweb/the-champcar-cage/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

They see this all the time. "Pro-Built" cages with missing welds. Missing tubes. etc.

This is still in development, but we are trying to make it so that you guys know exactly what we are calling for when it comes to cages.

BETA PAGE

https://champcar.org/mainweb/the-champcar-cage/

Having just built a cage, I can say that the rules pictures leave a bit to be desired, but that 3D view is great! Nice job 🍻

• Administrators
1 minute ago, IPF Racing said:

Having just built a cage, I can say that the rules pictures leave a bit to be desired, but that 3D view is great! Nice job 🍻

We are all trying. None of this stuff is easy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IPF Racing said:

If you build your own cage, have someone else do a 100% visual inspection with inspection cameras and/or mirrors.  It is easy to miss a small bit in those hard-to-see spots especially if you are using your fingers to verify completeness.  The Tech inspectors are good at finding missed welds.

If you have your cage built by a professional shop, you should do a 100% inspection of every single weld.  If the tech inspector finds a problem, it's your problem.  Better to resolve it before you make it to that point.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, QuaTTro said:

The way the firewall holes/gaps were checked.....if Jay could look in your trunk and see ANY LIGHT coming through from the interior of the car....you failed.  He required sheet metal and foam to seal up the holes.  No more metal tape.

It's a reasonable safety request, but something that can take time to fix.  Better to do it before you arrive at tech.

I'm assuming this only applies to cars with fuel cells? We run an E36 with all factory fuel stuff. 

47 minutes ago, B-Rad said:

I'm assuming this only applies to cars with fuel cells? We run an E36 with all factory fuel stuff. 

It applies to all fuel system components.. Your fuel tank is under the back seat, so if you had holes through that seat (sheet metal bulkhead) you would be in violation of the rule requiring all fuel system components to be shielded from the driver.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, QuaTTro said:

I wish this rule were more defined. The rulebook says nothing about tape not allowed. Just seal it up.

• Like 1