Gkuhn41

Tech Line Issues explain yours to help others

31 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Just to clarify, can I use the fireproof expanding foam to seal gaps?

This technique is mostly for the hollow area between the quarter panel and rear bulkhead 

58 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Just to clarify, can I use the fireproof expanding foam to seal gaps?

I’ll let you know for sure after I roll through tech tomorrow!

• Like 1

The general guidance at the Harris Hill race was to try to cover any holes more than 1/4" gap using sheet metal, and anything smaller than that can be foam.  They weren't using a measuring tape to check those gap sizes or anything, so don't stress too much.

If you only use sheet metal and foam to fill holes....and tech cannot see any light through holes.....then they pass you.  There was no detailed inspection about how you actually filled each hole/gap.

6 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

I wish this rule were more defined. The rulebook says nothing about tape not allowed. Just seal it up.

My biggest rules complaint is "expanding" the definition outside of the written rules - In this example, alum tape not being acceptable.  I would have to imagine that if you follow the rule to the letter, which allows alum tape, that you would AT LEAST get a weekend waiver with a comment to improve for the next race.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

My biggest rules complaint is "expanding" the definition outside of the written rules - In this example, alum tape not being acceptable.  I would have to imagine that if you follow the rule to the letter, which allows alum tape, that you would AT LEAST get a weekend waiver with a comment to improve for the next race.

Ehh... there are some cases where common sense expansion if the written rules is necessary.

For instance, the story/myth about a racer who was required to wear a balaclava because of his beard, and he didn’t want to, so he “wore it” on his arm to satisfy the literal wording of the rule. 

Sometimes following a rule to the letter is not sufficient and you should not be allowed on track. And that doesn’t always mean that the rule needs to be revised... sometimes you just have to stop being a duck, and tech needs to have the freedom to tell said duck that he can’t go on track without making changes.

Edited by enginerd

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Ehh... there are some cases where common sense expansion if the written rules is necessary.

For instance, the story/myth about a racer who was required to wear a balaclava because of his beard, and he didn’t want to, so he “wore it” on his arm to meet the letter of the rule. 

Sometimes following a rule to the letter is not sufficient and you should not be allowed on track. And that doesn’t always mean that the rule needs to be revised... sometimes you just have to stop being a duck, and tech needs to have the freedom to tell said duck that he can’t go on track without making changes.

In this case I think we're talking about cars that have already passed tech with foil tape finding out when they get to the track that the interpretation has changed when the written rule has not. Nobody likes surprises like that.

I think it would be helpful if there was some sort of summary of what "clarifications" happen in tech after every race.

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

In this case I think we're talking about cars that have already passed tech with foil tape finding out when they get to the track that the interpretation has changed when the written rule has not. Nobody likes surprises like that.

I think it would be helpful if there was some sort of summary of what "clarifications" happen in tech after every race.

Thats more of what I am referring to.  However @enginerd, you are correct as well.

30 minutes ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

In our case, some things were given a waiver and others were not.  While I was annoyed....I thought it was reasonable.  Jay also said we could skip the line after resolving the issues and get our Tech Sticker.

Mandatory Fixes for the race:

- Correct all the small holes in the firewall between the trunk/OEM gas tank and interior of car with sheet metal and foam.  We had old metal tape that wasn't in great condition anymore.

- Add 2 more pieces of roll bar padding to areas where helmet could hit the bars

Waiver until next race:

- secure the drivers seat better.  we have it on the OEM slider (power seats!) and there is some play in it (there is no play when driver is strapped in).  

- make the seat brace backstop larger surface area so that it is less likely to just puncture through the seat in a wreck.  ideally a 6x6" square or larger.

- Fire extinguisher needs serviced and re-certified (expired last year)

- add safety wire to the clips that hold harness to the eyelets

- add additional fuel tank vent to center of rear bumper (still not sure I understand this one since we have unmodified OEM fuel tank and venting)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Wait, do you need to wear a balaclava if you have a beard now?

If so, why?  Does not having facial hair protect your face from melting?

Or are they worried that an awesome beard will go up in smoke without one?

Or, are we all cooking at some point and don't want hair in the food?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It has been a rule since I started in 2014, and still is in the rulebook (section 3.11). 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

A quick google search reveals that facial hair ignites rather easily.  The last thing you want is “fuel” attached to your skin and exposed to the flames.  Everyone should wear a balaclava anyhow, but hairy necks need the protection the most. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Everyone should wear a balaclava anyhow

This

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Back in the day the registration girls would remind anyone with "3 days" of facial hair, personally I have always shaved off the 3 month beard before a race as to not need one, yes I know, stupid not to wear one.

41 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

A quick google search reveals that facial hair ignites rather easily.  The last thing you want is “fuel” attached to your skin and exposed to the flames.  Everyone should wear a balaclava anyhow, but hairy necks need the protection the most. 

My point is that if there are flames on your face, doesn't matter if you have a beard.  

Seems weird.  Never noticed that in the rules.

16 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My point is that if there are flames on your face, doesn't matter if you have a beard.  

Watch the videos and it will be obvious.  Skin doesn’t light on fire except in very high temps.  Hair lights easily. 

Edited by Racer28173

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Guessing it's more so the guys putting the fire out don't have to smell burning hair, it is quite off putting...I bought a balaclava for this year after seeing video of the miata fire last year.  Scary stuff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Guessing it's more so the guys putting the fire out don't have to smell burning hair, it is quite off putting...I bought a balaclava for this year after seeing video of the miata fire last year.  Scary stuff.

Lol!!!  You aren’t kidding, it STINKS!    I have unfortunately set my hair on fire before.  It took so little flame exposure that I didn’t realize it was on fire initially.  My face had more exposure to the flame and it wasn’t burned.

And no, I wasn’t drinking.  

Dude, to be blunt:  if your beard is on fire in a racecar, your skin would be burnt.  We aren't talking about relighting a stubby cohiba.  

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Dude, to be blunt:  if your beard is on fire in a racecar, your skin would be burnt.  We aren't talking about relighting a stubby cohiba.  

If you don’t want to get it, you don’t have to get it.  You can do some

research and seek to understand, or you can ignore any information that differs from your firmly held beliefs. A closed mind is always right. That’s why there are rules for things like this. Seatbelt laws exist because most people don’t understand physics. 

Race race cars have been known to catch fire while they are moving.  The air in the cockpit can drive the flames all over the place.  It only takes brief contact with flames to light hair.  And then it burns even if the flames blow elsewhere. The people who made the rule understand that, and they have chosen to protect the people who don’t.  

Edited by Racer28173

7 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

If you don’t want to get it, you don’t have to get it.  You can do some

research and seek to understand, or you can ignore any information that differs from your firmly held beliefs. A closed mind is always right. That’s why there are rules for things like this. Seatbelt laws exist because most people don’t understand physics. 

Race race cars have been known to catch fire while they are moving.  The air in the cockpit can drive the flames all over the place.  It only takes brief contact with flames to light hair.  And then it burns even if the flames blow elsewhere. The people who made the rule understand that, and they have chosen to protect the people who don’t.  

You do understand that I am saying everybody should wear one, right?