Chopped up Miatas and aero

turbogrill

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Hi,

How does aero get affected for these Miatas (and other cars) that looks like they have been run over by tank? Misisng roof, wind shield, body panels etc.

Is it beneficial to cutout as much as possible? (If you can stand how hideous they look) 

It depends, you can model it and run it in CFD to give you a better idea. 

Taking the weight off will help acceleration, and possibly handling if you don't compromise anything during the cutting.

I would be weary of a rule change to be more thorough than the 60% rule if lots of people are really hacking cars up. 

• Like 1

I don't know exactly about the aero benefits of the hacking we did, but I can tell you our Miata is faster than other Miatas who have the same or substantialy more power.

We are testing a new fastback setup at Road America which will cover the trunk lid area.  I will let you know if we are faster like that.  The test day is raining so all the other testing we wanted to do is scrapped.

I have a suspicion that the open trunk area is changing our low pressure zone in the rear reducing drag, but I will let you know when I compare our turn 1 entry speeds vs. last year.

So far, I have some data that makes me think some of the Miata CFD data out there is inaccurate in real world conditions. 

I would be very leary going windshieldless for safety reasons taking into account the amount of cars on track now, the length of the races and the possible debris that could injure a non-protected driver from all the front splitters and aero that is now being run on some cars that could come loose and seriously injure a windowless driver...

My windshield/car was getting pelted with rocks and debris every other lap last saturday

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 4

• Technical Advisory Committee
16 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I really hope that hacking cars up does not become the norm.    I think safety is compromised and its just not good for the series.  Just my opinion

I would think that if it becomes too prevalent, Champcar will step in for safety reasons and dictate what is and is not acceptable beyond just the 60% rule. 

31 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

I would be leary going windowless for safety reasons taking into account the amount of cars on track now, the length of the races and the possible debris that could injure a non-protected driver from all the front splitters and aero that is now being run on some cars that could come loose and seriously injure a windowless driver...

At least we don't allow cameras outside the cockpit though, so that's one less thing you have to dodge. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, red0 said:

I would think that if it becomes too prevalent, Champcar will step in for safety reasons and dictate what is and is not acceptable beyond just the 60% rule. 

The problem I see there, is waiting until its "too prevalent".   Looking at the series history, there is a pretty strong reluctance to take something back after a few have been built.   I personally think its smart to get ahead of things sometimes.   Again, just my thoughts and observations.   

• Like 4

We removed our heavy glass hatch on our 280zx made the car very tail happy. Whatever weight saving was not worth the aero effect. This was when the car was slow as well. We added it back with lexan for fire safety.

I would think that the 10lbs trunk lid saving on a Miata is not worth the aero effects?

But I agree, all these madmax chopped up duct taped miatas are super fast.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, MoparBoyy said:

for every chopped up car out there that is fast... there is 5 fully intact faster/more reliable ones.

Only so much sheet metal you can remove from the field until the overall quality of the field looks like poo. 

Edited by jakks