Sign in to follow this  
Rapido

2019 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 6, Charlotte Motor Speedway - 4/17/2019, 4/24/2019

We're still at the stage of the season where the rounds are coming thick and fast, trying to keep up with the CCES schedule. At the end of the month it's the famous ChampCar Championship Finale at the legendary Charlotte Motor Speedway, and we'll be right there with them for Round 6 of the 2019 CCSS.

A word on track configuration, as iRacing does not have the exact layout available that will be used for the real life round. After a bit of deliberating, I have decided to use the updated Charlotte Roval. This is identical to the configuration being used by ChampCar, but inclusive of a fast chicane on the back straight that is similar to that used at the ChampCar round in 2018. The other options available would have been the long roval, which includes two extra corners in the infield; or using the old 2016 version of the track which has the same number of corners but is bumpy and the trackside scenery is very outdated. I think the choice of the roval is the best compromise between all these factors. We will try it out in the practice round to make sure it's suitable, but I hope you will all enjoy it.

See you on track!

Session Details

• Practice Round 1: Wednesday, 17-April-2019
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 24-April-2019
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm ET/6:00pm PT
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm ET/8:00pm PT
  • Race Start: 9:00pm ET/9:00pm PT
  • Cars: Maxda MX-5 Cup - 2015
  • Track: Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval
  • In-Sim Session Date: Saturday, 27-April-2019
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 5:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: Fixed, iRacing Baseline with 4.2g Fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

2019 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Discord Server

Anyone else find it impossible to launch this track? It crashes every time whether I use the UI or the website. I can load other tracks no problem though.

Haven't experienced that issue - I ran in another league on the track on Sunday and nobody reported having a problem. Try turning down graphical settings a tad, or contact support if the issue persists.

Of course you would choose the Roval after we practiced on the old road course last night.  See you guys tonight

Edited by Jab31169

Only 2? 😉

Granted, tonight was the first time I'd driven the track. But it only took me 10 minutes to realize that I wasn't going to subject you guys to my mess. Even if it was just a practice round.

12 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Any way we can talk you into 2 fast repairs for the race???

For the right....inducement.....I'm open to anything....

I think we'll stick to the 1 repair format for this race though - think of it as a ChampCar specific random mechanical failure feature. Just be thankful you don't need to change an engine in the middle of a 24hr race.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rapido said:

Just be thankful you don't need to change an engine in the middle of a 24hr race.

That cuts deep Tom...(Me changing a motor at a 24 hour race, would of killed for a quick repair)

Pain.thumb.jpg.39e3109734e62a2a679e73be8c90e90d.jpg

FWIW, In practice I had an issue three laps in taking too much of the snake pit that put my wheel a bit off center.  After that I was good, but it was a pucker every time though the snake pit.  @Gordo is the one who had to take a 25 min repair after his first fast repair.

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

That cuts deep Tom...(Me changing a motor at a 24 hour race, would of killed for a quick repair)

Pain.thumb.jpg.39e3109734e62a2a679e73be8c90e90d.jpg

For doing an engine swap at the track, that looks like pretty ideal conditions (clean flat floor, generous lighting, work bench, paper tower dispenser), can't complain too much since plenty of guys have done it on their back in a gravel parking lot or in the pouring rain.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABR-Glen said:

For doing an engine swap at the track, that looks like pretty ideal conditions (clean flat floor, generous lighting, work bench, paper tower dispenser), can't complain too much since plenty of guys have done it on their back in a gravel parking lot or in the pouring rain.  

Oh yea, why we ALWAYS rent a garage.  The gods were nice enough to bless us with one of the Garages with AC and fans as well.  All that being said, still sucks changing a motor on race day.

Hey folks, here's your link for this week's broadcast! As outlined for plenty of reasons above, this race could go one of many ways. I hope everyone who tunes in will enjoy it, and everyone racing gets a chance to check it back after. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sessions are created ready for tomorrow - after a bit of deliberation I've decided against altering any of the parameters from the practice rounds. I appreciate this is a challenging combo with the fragility of the car and the propensity of the kerbs to injure it, but that's just what the challenge is going to be for this one. 

Enjoy, and take it easy!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rapido said:

Sessions are created ready for tomorrow - after a bit of deliberation I've decided against altering any of the parameters from the practice rounds. I appreciate this is a challenging combo with the fragility of the car and the propensity of the kerbs to injure it, but that's just what the challenge is going to be for this one. 

Enjoy, and take it easy!

I see the practice session has started in the green bar but when I click on it nothing happens.

Man, that was rough.  I expected the snake pit to catch people, but I didn't think it would be so many, so soon.  I wound up going flat through it for qualifying, but basically coasting through the race to minimize the potential for unwanted 'dynamic front toe'.

Congrats to John for the great win.

Will R.  - #341 On Second Thought Racing

Edited by Hailwood
  • Like 2

Yea...good times.  Challenging for sure.  I got rear-ended on the pace lap after koff killed his power.  Then going though the snake pit on the first lap I got off timing and hulk-smashed the tire barrier.  Really glad I didnt take anyone else out.  Thought I had a good thing going after my fast repair and fuel, worked my way back up to 6th....got lazy/red mist and put it in the inside wall of one.  Time left in race was 29 mins, required repair time was 38 mins.  Watched the broadcast for the rest of the race.  See you guys at the glen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Observe, the Mother Porsche and her newly hatched Miatas. She can only do so much to protect them from the kerbs of Charlotte. The winter is harsh, and many will not make it. 

photo_n00425_s1 60 [smooth=1.0] 2560x1440 AAx2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Frustrating race to say the least. I hit the wall getting onto the oval then hit the wall leaving snake pit which required a fast repair. Later on while starting to make up some time I came up on a car who had hit wall getting back onto the oval and was clearly damaged...but was weaving in front of me. That person then sent it over the blue turtle shells in the snake pit and pinballed off the wall and into my rear tire. I think there should be some sort of code that, if you are driving a clearly damaged car, just let some people by and safely return to the pits vs driving like a mad man.

Anyway, I'm thankful for drop weeks. See you guys at the Glen.

Edited by Justin Hall
  • Like 1