Jump to content

Bag question purhcase advice, for our safety gear


Ham Sammich
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm tired of a random bag with my crap in it.  Hans device hanging out the top because it doesn't fit, etc.  I want an actual race bag that works for the stuff we use.  I was hoping some of you had experience in this area.  I was looking at random bags and it seemed kind of up in the air.

I want room for a helmet, suit, undergarments, 2 pair shoes, Hans, maybe some electronic bits, 1 light change of street clothes (for random emergency) and I want it to close up and zip up cleanly, nothing in a goofy shape. I want square/rectangle so they stack, I need 4 of them for our crew, so they need to stack well and store well, and go through an airport well if need be.

 

Anybody with opinions?  I mostly want the right damn bag... just one time!!!  :D  JUST ONE TIME!!!!!

 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cagedruss said:

Check out

https://pyrotectstore.com/product-category/accessories/racing-accessories

 

I can save you 10% on anything on the site. Pyrotect had great great storage bags. Check the pages.

 

Thanks Russ.  Any experience with any of the bags?  I need to buy 4 of them and I don't want to bone it again like last time.  Walking around with my Hans device hanging out.  Chicks looking at me like I'm a failure, can't zip up....  :D " <chicks giggling>You buy the wrong bag Junior?!?"..   Me: "No..." shuffles off in shame.

 

Somebody ask Randy Pobst what he uses to pack gear through an airport... I'm of the opinion that dude knows bags and how to pack gear.  :)

 

 

 

Edited by Ham Sammich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At $65, I find this bag to be a decent value. https://www.ogracing.com/sparco-trip-3-duffel-bag

 

It fits my helmet, HANS, suit, shoes, balaclava, socks, gloves, first aid kit, with room to spare. However, it's not built like a piece of luggage. I'm not sure how it would stand up to the baggage handlers at airports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

This bag is the best, it is my 4th gear bag and I finally found one that fits all my needs which are the same as yours. 

https://90racing.com/products/bell-helmet-bag-hans-pro-v2

 

BEL2030128_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1524519643

If you buy 2 or more it is free shipping. It looks like 90 racing has 8 in stock and free shipping over $90. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, red0 said:

This bag is the best, it is my 4th gear bag and I finally found one that fits all my needs which are the same as yours. 

https://90racing.com/products/bell-helmet-bag-hans-pro-v2

 

BEL2030128_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1524519643

If you buy 2 or more it is free shipping. It looks like 90 racing has 8 in stock and free shipping over $90. 

I have one of these and they work well, just not big enough for spares or extras. I carry it inside another bag.

 

https://www.summitracing.com/itemgroup/factory-racing-gear-bags/?ar=1

Edited by dogtired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
Just now, dogtired said:

I have one of these and they work well, just not big enough for spares or extras. I carry it inside another bag.

 

I like this one because I can also use it as carry on for the airport. My other gear bags were too large and would need to be check-in luggage at an airport which is a big no-no. 

 

I have one bag in my trailer that has all the spare stuff, but you are right, If anything it is on the small side. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a hockey bag too.  I have a separate helmet bag that is small that I take out of the hockey bag and carry onto the plane.  You do NOT want your helmet being handled by baggage guys. Google “United breaks guitars” for evidence of that.  Amusing videos about the topic on YouTube too. A buddy of mine checked a skiing helmet recently and found that it was destroyed when he got to his destination. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ham Sammich said:

 

Thanks Russ.  Any experience with any of the bags?  I need to buy 4 of them and I don't want to bone it again like last time.  Walking around with my Hans device hanging out.  Chicks looking at me like I'm a failure, can't zip up....  :D " <chicks giggling>You buy the wrong bag Junior?!?"..   Me: "No..." shuffles off in shame.

 

Somebody ask Randy Pobst what he uses to pack gear through an airport... I'm of the opinion that dude knows bags and how to pack gear.  :)

 

 

 

I use the 9 compartment bag. Very nice and roomy. Holds a lot of stuff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lads, I appreciate the comments.  Here's where I am at, have these 24x12x12  No matter how we pack it this is how they pack the best.  There is no way to get the Hans in the main compartment with the helmet or the suit and inner wear.  and no way to get the helmet in the outer bag spot where the Hans is, and no way to get the suit in there. so I'm stuck with it hanging out.

I have now looked at the Bell bags as some have mentioned and even though it's 4" shorter, I think the big main compartment being 1" wider and 1.5" taller, might get the Hans in the main area.

The bags in the pic are 24x12x12, Super tight on shoes (like a wedge fit) and Hans hangs out and will not stuff in the main compartment.
33756944878_05ab616630_b.jpg

Edited by Ham Sammich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
4 hours ago, Ham Sammich said:

Lads, I appreciate the comments.  Here's where I am at, have these 24x12x12  No matter how we pack it this is how they pack the best.  There is no way to get the Hans in the main compartment with the helmet or the suit and inner wear.  and no way to get the helmet in the outer bag spot where the Hans is, and no way to get the suit in there. so I'm stuck with it hanging out.

I have now looked at the Bell bags as some have mentioned and even though it's 4" shorter, I think the big main compartment being 1" wider and 1.5" taller, might get the Hans in the main area.

The bags in the pic are 24x12x12, Super tight on shoes (like a wedge fit) and Hans hangs out and will not stuff in the main compartment.
33756944878_05ab616630_b.jpg

 

My Stilo with Hans attached fits with no issue into the main compartment of the Bell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2019 at 5:46 AM, red0 said:

This bag is the best, it is my 4th gear bag and I finally found one that fits all my needs which are the same as yours. 

https://90racing.com/products/bell-helmet-bag-hans-pro-v2

 

BEL2030128_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1524519643

If you buy 2 or more it is free shipping. It looks like 90 racing has 8 in stock and free shipping over $90. 

 

 

And your saying this smaller bag with slight dimension differences gets everything stored, the helmet, hans, suit, shoes, innner wear and some bits?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
Just now, Ham Sammich said:

And your saying this smaller bag with slight dimension differences gets everything stored, the helmet, hans, suit, shoes, innner wear and some bits?

 

Yes, and that is without even putting things like gloves and balaclava socks etc in the helmet. I bring 2 sets of gloves, 3 balaclavas, 2 pairs of socks, a pair of gym shorts, an under shirt, etc. and it all fits. I am much bigger than you are too, so you will have even more room. 

I have never had issue with it being used as carry-on luggage,  unless the overhead bin cannot fit a helmet (as the helmet is not very compressible). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ham Sammich said:

 

 

And your saying this smaller bag with slight dimension differences gets everything stored, the helmet, hans, suit, shoes, innner wear and some bits?

I was wondering the same thing- you want to store helmet, hans, suit, 2 pair of shoes, underwear, socks, and a change of clothes....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, chip said:

I was wondering the same thing- you want to store helmet, hans, suit, 2 pair of shoes, underwear, socks, and a change of clothes....

 

I can probably squeeze that in, although if it was jeans, and a hoodie or other bulky clothes it would be close. I wear XXL so my stuff is big. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...