LuckyKid

Megasquirt Auto Tune

Has anyone auto tuned their Megasquirt on the track?  We are in a bad need for a tune and are now resorting to the self-tune option during the test day.  

*Our normal dyno guy's is still waiting on a part from Dynojet and it won't arrive till Friday.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Roy

Auto tune will only get you close and I would not trust it in a race application.

Unless you don't care if you loose your motor.

Edited by 55mini
addition

I called quantum earlier this week and they we're booked until May.

Unfortunately I don't have many good options.  The tune we have is way off to compensate for the exhaust cam being off a tooth. 

I'm trying to get copies of the previous tunes, but we just ported the head and I assume that's a pretty big change.

8 hours till it's on track, yikes...

5 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

I called quantum earlier this week and they we're booked until May.

Unfortunately I don't have many good options.  The tune we have is way off to compensate for the exhaust cam being off a tooth. 

I'm trying to get copies of the previous tunes, but we just ported the head and I assume that's a pretty big change.

8 hours till it's on track, yikes...

Is this a high boost turbo? If not start with a defensive AFr. Slowly increase. 

Your biggest problem is not loosing the tune during pitstops...you have to press the save button before powering off. Have done exactly what you are doing

Whats the AFR with the current tune?

If cell recepption is OK you can put a phone with hotspot in the car and tune remotely with VNC while your driver is racing, super awesome. 

Edited by turbogrill

For what its worth, we ran the 1UZ swap after only a 10 minute autotune session around the airport for the whole season. After we got it on the dyno we were actually pretty close and I have run autotune during track days. It is worth mentioning you can adjust how easily it changes cells and I wouldnt go on track with it below "normal" otherwise it will overshoot like crazy and take forever to level out at the ideal value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPF Racing said:

For what its worth, we ran the 1UZ swap after only a 10 minute autotune session around the airport for the whole season. After we got it on the dyno we were actually pretty close and I have run autotune during track days. It is worth mentioning you can adjust how easily it changes cells and I wouldnt go on track with it below "normal" otherwise it will overshoot like crazy and take forever to level out at the ideal value. 

How did you pick your target AFR values? 

2 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

How did you pick your target AFR values? 

Picked some fairly conservative numbers, did some quick pulls so see how it ran, and went with it. It certainly wasn't optimized, but it hasnt had any issues in over a year of racing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone, we tested today and after a base timing adjustment we are fast enough to run as is.  Our AFRs are 12.3 to 12.5 which I think is conservative but I'd hate to mess with it since the car is competitive as is.

Not sure how given the cam timing and new port and polish, but I'll consider myself lucky!

What does everyone shoot for on AFR?  We had been in the 12.3-12.7 range all of last year.  We leaned it up some for this season. Shooting for 13.0 -13.5.  Just curious what everyone else is doing.