turbogrill

Automatic fire systems

Hi,

Thinking of adding a secondary fire system that is automatic. But It seems like they are intended for the fuel cell area and not for cockpit or engine?

Designed primarily for boat hulls, generator rooms etc where a person isn't present. 

You could use a system wherever you want bt make sure it's compatible with humans of your add one to the interior. 

Having a standard pull cable or electric activated race system with a hand hand should be enough. 

I've been debating running multiple systems on the new build but haven't talked to tech yet, not sure why they'd say no, but *shrug*

The thought is an automatic system in the trunk (fuel cell) + the usual 3 zone manual pull.

Reasoning- Fuel cell zone is bulkheaded and effectively sealed, could be on fire for awhile before the fire is big enough to stop the fuel pump or get spotted by a corner worker. Also with the trunk being mostly sealed, it could be put out before the car fully stops (probably before the driver even realizes it's on fire). 

I think I remember Bill Strong telling me he ran an automatic in the fuel cell area. Could be wrong though.  Someone in Champ does. 

Thermal pill systems are very common in pro circle track series for fuel cell suppression, you can get them cheap at second hand nascar part places. 

The secondary thermal pill systems we run are a little heavy, and are about twice the volume of the primary system (pull cable for cabin). We carry alot of fuel, so alot to put out. 

10 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Thermal pill systems are very common in pro circle track series for fuel cell suppression, you can get them cheap at second hand nascar part places. 

The secondary thermal pill systems we run are a little heavy, and are about twice the volume of the primary system (pull cable for cabin). We carry alot of fuel, so alot to put out. 

But you only have it for the fuel cell? Not for driver or engine?

I have OEM tank, not sure how I could fit it to OEM tank.

12 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Any examples or links? Quick google search didn't return anything useful

9 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

But you only have it for the fuel cell? Not for driver or engine?

I have OEM tank, not sure how I could fit it to OEM tank.

Split system, one system is driver another is fuel system. Driver is a pull cable, fuel cell is automatic (thermal pill like a sprinkler)

Ah, I kind of figured they would exist for cars, but figured it would be closer to the Boat systems I've seen before. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sea-fire--novec-1230-fire-suppression-systems-disposable--P014180699?recordNum=8

I had been thinking one of those (spec'd for 25 cubic feet), and then the usual Lifeline 3 zone manual pull, but since automatics for stock cars exist I doubt it would fly at tech... (Lifeline to cover the rules requirement with re-certs and all that, boat one just supplemental) 

You can get older nascar systems for a fraction of that cost, which might be a good deal if you are just looking for added safety and don't care about the cert date. Try sri or second chance motorsports.

• Thanks 1

I deal a lot in AFES systems and i'm lucky that I haven't been spontaneously blasted in the face!

Of course, in a racecar you'd disconnect it when not racing, but still!

1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I deal a lot in AFES systems and i'm lucky that I haven't been spontaneously blasted in the face!

Of course, in a racecar you'd disconnect it when not racing, but still!

You would think....but the traditional nascar thermal pill "automatic" ones do not have a provision to disarm. You have to discharge them to even unbolt the hose.....

This leads to exactly what you would think happening from time to time...and the mess is epic....

• Haha 1