Neveready

Nissan problems. Need advice friends

G35 2004. Was running very good at Daytona about 2 hrs in and the car quits. Agonizing over repairing this thing. Replaced cam sensors and crank sensor. Chased down wiring by the book. Still no spark and no injector pulse. Changed ecm body motion module , control module under column. Are there any experts out there?

1 hour ago, Neveready said:

G35 2004. Was running very good at Daytona about 2 hrs in and the car quits. Agonizing over repairing this thing. Replaced cam sensors and crank sensor. Chased down wiring by the book. Still no spark and no injector pulse. Changed ecm body motion module , control module under column. Are there any experts out there?

want to sell it?

• Haha 1

Wish I would have seen this @ Daytona😟

Cam and crank sensors are the only things I have had to change on street G35s, they are finicky, I only use oem replacements.

Any codes? 

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Wish I would have seen this @ Daytona😟

Cam and crank sensors are the only things I have had to change on street G35s, they are finicky, I only use oem replacements.

Any codes? 

No codes now. Had a cam sensor code. Just makes no sense. Love the car though. 

30 minutes ago, Neveready said:

Wish I could find a run only wiring harness and loose most of this electrical crap. Any ideas?

Build your own?  Browse all Infiniti/Nissan forums and see if anyone has one or knows of an "easy" way to build it???  Spitballing here....

What is the failure mode?   does it crank but not start/run?

Back when I was racing a 350Z, we had the cam itself fail, the part that holds the degree wheel broke off.  This was a common-ish failure with lots of high RPM running.  Too much length after the last bearing, lobe/degree wheel puts enough stresses on the cam it snaps at the last cap.  exhaust camshaft IIRC.

• Like 2

I was  thinking something to respect the time chain, the above post is the word of wisdom, does it sound normal when cranking? 

As for a standalone harness, tall order! I  I am a drivability technician by day and didn’t pair down our car because of massive complexity.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

Its the end on the right that snapped off, entire chunk to the right of the bearing journal.  End up losing the cam wheel and one of the 2 cam lobes that that cylinder.  Our car still ran as it was still using other signals to determine when to fire stuff, but poorly since that cylinder was pumping air through half the ports.   But the car wouldn't re-start once it was shut off; ECU uses that sensor to help with starting.  Easiest way to check is pull the cam sensor out and stick your finger in there, if you can't feel the end of the cam, well...   there's a problem.

We got really lucky that the piece fell off and wedged in place at the back of the head and didn't take anything else out with it.  We swapped out the cams and went back to abusing the car.

s-l1000.jpg

• Like 2

Friday, I got a clean core, looks to be a altima (2007ish) 3.5 sitting here on the floor, it looks like the intake is the primary cam signal generator, there is a place for exhaust cam sensor but no reluctor wheel notches cut nor external hole on the exhaust for this year/model.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, NigelStu said:

Its the end on the right that snapped off, entire chunk to the right of the bearing journal.  End up losing the cam wheel and one of the 2 cam lobes that that cylinder.  Our car still ran as it was still using other signals to determine when to fire stuff, but poorly since that cylinder was pumping air through half the ports.   But the car wouldn't re-start once it was shut off; ECU uses that sensor to help with starting.  Easiest way to check is pull the cam sensor out and stick your finger in there, if you can't feel the end of the cam, well...   there's a problem.

We got really lucky that the piece fell off and wedged in place at the back of the head and didn't take anything else out with it.  We swapped out the cams and went back to abusing the car.

s-l1000.jpg

You nailed it. Pulled valve covers and found left cam timing end of cam broken off. Thanks for the advice. My only question is does anyone make a cam that won’t break. I hate to replace it and have this problem again. 

On 4/23/2019 at 10:18 PM, Neveready said:

You nailed it. Pulled valve covers and found left cam timing end of cam broken off. Thanks for the advice. My only question is does anyone make a cam that won’t break. I hate to replace it and have this problem again. 

JWT makes billet cams.