Round3Racing

Road America Double 8, April 2019

2 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

I'm fairly certain that I saw the emergency vehicle pass a race car on the front straight.  Those EV guys were amazing!

LOL, I did a double take when I saw that. It must have a been a BMW they were passing, bahahahah. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Round3Racing said:

I'm fairly certain that I saw the emergency vehicle pass a race car on the front straight.  Those EV guys were amazing!

We saw that too and were cracking up!  

• Haha 1

A couple years ago during a Chump race at RA, I was driving a "slow" Civic as fast as it would go under green.  One of the EVs was waving me by on the back straight and I couldn't catch 'em.  They haul ass in those trucks and are serious about what they do....and getting it done quickly.  The best out there.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, red0 said:

LOL, I did a double take when I saw that. It must have a been a BMW they were passing, bahahahah. 

It sure as h—- was not the drunken squirrel. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

It sure as h—- was not the drunken squirrel. 😀

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Low Farm Racing had our best race yet! 

We built our car two years ago with our primary concern being cost and having some fun performance more than really concentrating on points, and ended up with a lot of penalty points for the last two seasons. This year we changed a ton on the car and got it to be right on 500 points and faster than before to boot! The change from ebay coilovers to Bilsteins and springs made the car a bit more lively to drive, so we all had a bit of a learning curve Friday morning but by the end of our stints had it figured out. We ended up all running consistently 3:02-3:06 lap times which is the fastest the car has yet to go. We  Our biggest issue now is fuel, since we only have a 15gal tank we were stopping at 1h20ish, but still managed our best finish yet on Friday coming in 15th overall! A great time was had by all. 

Saturday we were on track for a similar finish but had to withdraw early with two failed drive shaft center bearings back to back, but had a great race prior to that.  

Thank you to Champcar and Road America staff and volunteers for another fantastic race event as always. 

1 hour ago, iampkrfn said:

A couple years ago during a Chump race at RA, I was driving a "slow" Civic as fast as it would go under green.  One of the EVs was waving me by on the back straight and I couldn't catch 'em.  They haul ass in those trucks and are serious about what they do....and getting it done quickly.  The best out there.  

We definitely had this happen a few years ago too in our first car. We even got talked to in our pit stall that we could pass the tow truck, and got a laugh from Mike when we told them it was more of a horsepower problem than a desire problem 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Road America is as good as expected and better. From the friendly course Employees and Champcar staff to the track itself.  What a weekend. I wish a few of you could have had the opportunity to drive the 88 Cougar. Without question the best handling and best braking car I have driven in this series. All the talk of it’s straight line speed was not the reason it was fast. It could stop and turn with anything in the race. ( the cayman and MR2 excluded of course)  To conserve fuel and brakes we had a Gentlemen’s agreement to short shift and brake early So the pads would last 8 hour days. Initial turn in, apex transition and center off  we could carry speed with such ease. And the furnace was a Swiss Watch. The car is so easy to drive fast even with giving up over a thousand lbs to some fellow competitors. I had to work harder at staying focused than driving fast.  More than one driver tried to brake with us and ended up in the gravel. The Brakes are all Ford units with Wilwood Masters and pedals. It was like a carrier arresting hook at the end of the straits. 

The teams preparation is outstanding along with pit stops and team work. It was my honor to drive with them. The Drunkin Squirrels are the best TEAM I have had the pleasure to drive with in this series.  I learn every time I race with them. Every pit stop was flawless. End of the each day we rotated tires, check fluids and went to dinner.  Did not put a wrench to the car all weekend except to weld a broken hood mount. It makes a race so much more enjoyable to participate in when your biggest issue is figuring out where we are going to dinner after the race. 

The MR2 is a fantastic build and well driven.  (Ludicrous Speed.) If we would have tried to run with them we would have run out of brakes. L.S. Is top shelf. Well Done Gentlemen. As well as Nate and their E30 is well drivin and consistent. 

I will also drive with D.S. at Indy and hope to see you all again. 

17 hours ago, red0 said:

giphy.gif

😂😂

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Road America is as good as expected and better. From the friendly course Employees and Champcar staff to the track itself.  What a weekend. I wish a few of you could have had the opportunity to drive the 88 Cougar. Without question the best handling and best braking car I have driven in this series. All the talk of it’s straight line speed was not the reason it was fast. It could stop and turn with anything in the race. ( the cayman and MR2 excluded of course)  To conserve fuel and brakes we had a Gentlemen’s agreement to short shift and brake early So the pads would last 8 hour days. Initial turn in, apex transition and center off  we could carry speed with such ease. And the furnace was a Swiss Watch. The car is so easy to drive fast even with giving up over a thousand lbs to some fellow competitors. I had to work harder at staying focused than driving fast.  More than one driver tried to brake with us and ended up in the gravel. The Brakes are all Ford units with Wilwood Masters and pedals. It was like a carrier arresting hook at the end of the straits. 

The teams preparation is outstanding along with pit stops and team work. It was my honor to drive with them. The Drunkin Squirrels are the best TEAM I have had the pleasure to drive with in this series.  I learn every time I race with them. Every pit stop was flawless. End of the each day we rotated tires, check fluids and went to dinner.  Did not put a wrench to the car all weekend except to weld a broken hood mount. It makes a race so much more enjoyable to participate in when your biggest issue is figuring out where we are going to dinner after the race. 

The MR2 is a fantastic build and well driven.  (Ludicrous Speed.) If we would have tried to run with them we would have run out of brakes. L.S. Is top shelf. Well Done Gentlemen. As well as Nate and their E30 is well drivin and consistent. 

I will I’ll also drive with D.S. At Indy and hope to see you all again. 

Not running out of brakes on your maiden trip to RA is a solid indication of a team that knows what they are doing, especially in a car that fast, many have struggled with that challenge in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Team Plum Crazy had a heck of a weekend. Thought we would do the practice this year for the first time and it was a good thing we did.

Turns out the new motor didn't want to play well believe we spun a rod bearing. So the car went back to the shop Friday night for a motor change. 

A 3.5 hour drive one way. motor changed Friday and back to the track Friday night. thought we would just salvage the weekend by making it a test day.

Turns out we were first in class around 11:00. so much for testing. car ran well handled well and was a blast to drive. at one point we were 20 laps ahead and then the trans decided not to play well anymore. all said and done we finished second 2 laps down. 

The weekend was good for our new team members got some lap time and had a good time. 

Thanks to all the people of Champcar and the Road America staff for once again putting on a great race.

• Thanks 1

@Round3Racing  I stopped by your pit box to chat but you had way too much going on with the three cars to run.  I talked to one of your drivers (Sat) that had been in the EC car.  He and I ran nose to tail for a good 20 minutes (I'm sure he wasn't one of your pros, or I wouldn't have been able to hang on to him).  Here is a video of a pucker moment that we laughed about:

Premium Dudes race report:

Several problems were found on the test day, and consequently we didn't get much practice in. We did manage to fix the car and it was running great by the time the green flag fell on Friday.

I took the start, started in 6th and was in 6th when people started to pit. I sacrificed a bit of speed to ensure a full stint, and handed the car over to the second driver. All was going great for 110 minutes until we saw our driver come down pit road with a damaged right-front. Our driver clipped a Porsche in Canada corner after a couple cars checked up hard for local yellow and he didn't see it. We sent our 3rd driver right out with 6 degrees of RF camber, 1/2" of toe out, a flapping hood, and potentially more issues. He was every bit of 5 seconds off pace, and so was our 4th driver. We ended up in 2nd, but would have had 1st place after JSK dropped if we had been running at full pace.

We did our best that night to get the alignment back where it should be, and I think we did a good job. Indications were that we were still 1-2 seconds off our day 1 pace, and the car was a bit of a handful. We also picked up an issue where the engine would randomly die. It started in the second stint and got worse as the day progressed. I found that it would immediately refire if I put the clutch in and hit the starter button (any ideas?). By the end of the race it was dying almost once per lap. We ran a perfect race (all things considered) and were just behind Ludicrous Speed when I was in for the 4th stint. I gave it hell but every time I got close, Chris effortlessly pulled away. With 30 minutes to go I gave up the chase and ran conservatively to the end for a 2nd place finish.

Two second place finishes is a heck of a weekend. Big thanks to the team and supporters.

We turn our attention now to preparing for the rest of the season, Indy is up next.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

@Round3Racing  I stopped by your pit box to chat but you had way too much going on with the three cars to run.  I talked to one of your drivers (Sat) that had been in the EC car.  He and I ran nose to tail for a good 20 minutes (I'm sure he wasn't one of your pros, or I wouldn't have been able to hang on to him).  Here is a video of a pucker moment that we laughed about:

Wow...that is not what I meant in our driver's meeting when I said "be patient".  Interestingly, I had problems with those Acuras too.  The silver one tried to kill me in the carousel also.  But this was just our driver being impatient and probably chasing lap times.  Shoulda just followed the BMW on the inside.  He got lucky.  Thank you for sharing the video.

1 hour ago, Round3Racing said:

Wow...that is not what I meant in our driver's meeting when I said "be patient".  Interestingly, I had problems with those Acuras too.  The silver one tried to kill me in the carousel also.  But this was just our driver being impatient and probably chasing lap times.  Shoulda just followed the BMW on the inside.  He got lucky.  Thank you for sharing the video.

That was one of those strange situations where a car goes left when it should go right.  As it unfolded, I didn’t think he was being impatient - I probably would have considered the same opening. I was shocked when the blue car went even WIDER on an approach that was already really wide. 

I followed your guy for 20 - 30 minutes and he kept things pretty clean.   He pointed me by, but I didn’t want to pass (I wanted to just draft for a while).  He was pretty consistent and fun to follow. 

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

That was one of those strange situations where a car goes left when it should go right.  As it unfolded, I didn’t think he was being impatient - I probably would have considered the same opening. I was shocked when the blue car went even WIDER on an approach that was already really wide. 

I followed your guy for 20 - 30 minutes and he kept things pretty clean.   He pointed me by, but I didn’t want to pass (I wanted to just draft for a while).  He was pretty consistent and fun to follow. 

Thank you!  The silver Acura did something similar, but different.  He went wide like that, so I chose the inside.  Then, he decided that he wanted to run the inside, but I was there.  Luckily, I saw it coming and backed off.  Ludicrous Speed was right on my rear bumper.  Thankfully, he must have seen it coming too and backed off. 

5 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Thank you!  The silver Acura did something similar, but different.  He went wide like that, so I chose the inside.  Then, he decided that he wanted to run the inside, but I was there.  Luckily, I saw it coming and backed off.  Ludicrous Speed was right on my rear bumper.  Thankfully, he must have seen it coming too and backed off. 

This race seemed different from prior Road America Champcar races.  Normally, the drivers at this track are some of the best at watching their mirrors (much better than those at Road Atlanta, for example).  I can't help but wonder if the low car count made people more complacent in checking their mirrors.  It did get lonely out there at times ("where are all of the cars?").  I'm glad it worked out for your team in both cases.

Although I heard about some contact (and got a light tag from the 999 in turn 14), it seemed like contact was fairly infrequent in this race.  Breakdowns were another story, however.  It seemed like there was a new disabled vehicle every 3 laps during the first stint Friday.  Those workers stayed very busy.  They are consistently amazing at what they do.  If that had been a WGI race, we probably would have been under FCY for over 30 minutes in just that stint.

Video of our first and only stint, leading every lap...until we weren't :( .  The fire bottle went off mid-stint and the car died after picking up the timer in the pits:

35 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

Video of our first and only stint, leading every lap...until we weren't :( .  The fire bottle went off mid-stint and the car died after picking up the timer in the pits:

What caused the fire bottle to go off?

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

What caused the fire bottle to go off?

There is limited space on the floor so the handle is either close to the transmission tunnel or cage.  If not tightened properly it will shift under G and thats what happened.  We will likely add a spacer between the bottle top and the transmission tunnel so it can inadvertently touch. 

This is the second time a bottle has gone off while racing (once with another driver and another team).  Both cases I've been very unimpressed with its performance.  It would have protected my crotch, but not a lot else.  In the event of a fire, i'm just GTFO!

35 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Mind talking a little about your lap timer tablet?

We use a Toshiba tablet with Solo Storm.  It works ok, but the data review isn't the best.  I use it more for real time data when I am driving. 

Just now, LuckyKid said:

We use a Toshiba tablet with Solo Storm.  It works ok, but the data review isn't the best.  I use it more for real time data when I am driving. 

Sounds like what I am looking for, having a touch of ADD I have little use for review.🙃

Still love the predictive lap timing of the AIM solo the best.  

• Like 1

Drunken Squirrel had an amazing return to ChampCar.  After the wreck that bent the "original" rusty cougar in Pittsburgh a few years ago a few things fell in line and we ended up building a new car with a Coyote 5.0 Drivetrain swap.  We ran a few races with some other series on our home tracks of NJMP and Summit.  So at the moment we are running EC in Champ.  Our weekend started out interesting as when we opened the trailer after the 13 hour haul, the car had shifted and front left tire had fallen off the ramps.  We are using an ex-late model trailer and the tires only touch about half on either side.  After stacking a few wheels up under the car we where able to jack it up and get it back on the ramps with minimal fanfare.  From there the weekend went about like clockwork.  We had 6 drivers, so we all filtered through a few times in the rain on the practice day to learn the place.  Day 1 the car was flawless and we finished 3rd "overall" and 1st in EC.  Day 2 we had some clutch issues halfway through the day.  Cam Benty graciously stepped aside, gave up his stint to save us a pit stop.  We ended up 1st "overall" and had an amazing run with some of the other EC cars.  Matt Connolly Motorsports and the Cayman were running us down as we were down to just 3rd gear for the last 45 minutes, think we ended up all on the same lap.  It was good to be back with ChampCar and nice to meet the Central region racers and the staff.  Thank you again to ChampCar and huge thank you to the Road America staff and EV workers!!!!  This is my new favorite track. 

57377402_10219738100942308_1562148436701085696_o.jpg

58462093_1534595353338377_850009139236044800_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1