Fuel Cell Installation Question

Flatsix48

Installing a fuel cell in a 1989 BMW 325 (E30).  Mounting the cell in the trunk with an inline filter going to a new 45psi fuel pump then connecting the two lines (feed and return) to the original lines.  New fuel pump power switch at the dash and new fuel level gauge in the dash. There is a bunch of wires for the old tank. So, is there a regulator or something I'm missing???  Thanks, Ben

41 minutes ago, Flatsix48 said:

Installing a fuel cell in a 1989 BMW 325 (E30).  Mounting the cell in the trunk with an inline filter going to a new 45psi fuel pump then connecting the two lines (feed and return) to the original lines.  New fuel pump power switch at the dash and new fuel level gauge in the dash. There is a bunch of wires for the old tank. So, is there a regulator or something I'm missing???  Thanks, Ben

You aren't missing anything, some of those wires are for the stock fuel level sending units, some are for the stock pump(s). The diff speed sensor wires may also run with that bundle of wires.

FYI, when we changed our fuel pump setup, I made sure to keep the fuel pump relay in the circuit. This makes it so that (as with the stock vehicle) the fuel pump only energizes when the engine spins, ergo, fuel pump shuts off when engine stops. This is an important safety feature.. otherwise if you wreck and a fuel line comes off, or a fire starts, the pumps will continue pumping fuel until main power or that switch are turned off, potentially feeding a bad situation.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flatsix48 said:

Thanks for the advice, the shut off of the fuel pump the way you described makes sense. Thanks again.

Actually I have it wired both ways, with connectors in the middle by the switch. So while I'm in the garage I can wire the pump directly (so that I can pump out fuel and test stuff as needed) and then I just switch the connectors before going to the track to bring the relay back into the loop.