wvumtnbkr

Put dashboard and footwell anti intrusion bars in your car.

1 minute ago, red0 said:

Sorry to hear about  the car, glad you are OK. 

Thanks.  It's a learning experience for sure.

IMG_20190505_171127821_HDR.jpg

• Sad 4

While I hate seeing these torn up race cars, this thread has 100% convinced me to add foot well bars before out next race. For whatever solace it may be, know that you may have helped keep someone else safe.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ross2004 said:

While I hate seeing these torn up race cars, this thread has 100% convinced me to add foot well bars before out next race. For whatever solace it may be, know that you may have helped keep someone else safe.

Thanks.  That's why I posted here even though it happened with the other series.  I hurt literly everywhere except from the knees down and I believe I have the wheel stopper bars to thank for it.  I'm interested to see how far back the firewall got pushed by the engine when I get around to measuring.  It wrinkled the trans tunnel pretty good.

IMG_20190505_173153184_HDR~2.jpg

• Thanks 2

FWIW here is a pic of our foot bars on the passenger side. Driver side is similar.  #deeznodes

20190121_225037.thumb.jpg.d09bb4a2ae9a36f7782fcaf981e7b1b6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

FWIW here is a pic of our foot bars on the passenger side. Driver side is similar.  #deeznodes

Funny I had to do a double take, almost thought I was looking at a picture of our car.  Great minds think alike, eh?

TfvYyUrvOjQpehn_Gl-ogNSPeGKD4j-Cu5ed1whI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Oh man, that sucks, glad you're okay!

Would you be open to sharing what you think caused the brake issue?

I've done some initial analysis, and we have a basic idea of what went wrong, but not a definite root cause.  So far it looks like a cascade of part failures in quick succession resulted in a car that had perfect brake feel at turn 8, and zero brakes 3 turns later.  I generally won't touch the brake for 9-11, and I actually applied early for T12 since we were more in survival mode vs full send.

I'm not interested in speculating about the cause, until I've inspected further, and this thread isn't the place for it besides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Thanks.  It's a learning experience for sure.

It looks like your cage performed exceptionally well, glad you are mostly ok! 

I had a question about the diagonal bar on the cage coming down from the A pillar support to the mounting point.. is that a new trend in cage design? looks like Zack did the same:

What does that help with?

33 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

23 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I've done some initial analysis, and we have a basic idea of what went wrong, but not a definite root cause.  So far it looks like a cascade of part failures in quick succession resulted in a car that had perfect brake feel at turn 8, and zero brakes 3 turns later.  I generally won't touch the brake for 9-11, and I actually applied early for T12 since we were more in survival mode vs full send.

I'm not interested in speculating about the cause, until I've inspected further, and this thread isn't the place for it besides.

Like has been said, good to hear only the car is damaged!

10 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

I had a question about the diagonal bar on the cage coming down from the A pillar support to the mounting point.. is that a new trend in cage design? looks like Zack did the same:

I have heard people refer to that as an fia bar.  It is supposed to give direct support in case of a rollover situation as I understand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@wvumtnbkr is correct.  I was pretty concerned about the FIA bar in our car being in the way of egress.  We mocked it up and practiced getting in/out and it wasn't in the way at all and actually seemed to help by providing another handhold.  It is in the way of a cage mounted side view mirror though.

• Thanks 2

In this picture you can see at the very top of the driver's side FIA bar, it is tied into the cage gusset node.  We also have a diagonal bar (not shown) across the roof from the driver's side that ties into the rear bar node on the passenger's side.

20190123_205153.thumb.jpg.41273f0da6b57960a44e8be4d45450b3.jpg

Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

FIA vertical support.  It's a requirement for Stage rally cages, which this chassis was built as before we converted it to road racing g spec.  The cage was overbuilt for Champ/WRL spec but that's ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't realize we could have two bars forward for protection.  might have to consider adding another.

11 minutes ago, theblue said:

I didn't realize we could have two bars forward for protection.  might have to consider adding another.

I get that the rulebook intends the cage to not provide free strut bars and other chassis improvements but I think with the added scrutiny on padding and other safety related items that are the focus in tech inspection now it might be time to allow a more robust cage, or might be worth taking points if you have them to add some additional structure beyond what is allowed in the rule book.

8 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

We run a "Petty" bar in ours. 

We thought about a petty bar, but then I realized there would be no place for a passenger seat, which would make picking up babes that much more difficult.

Edit: I did not make the meme or the spelling.  I just copied it from the great internet.

image.png.11b106b02ca31a922241742b3b09c994.png

Edited by zack_280
technical difficulties with meme
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

We thought about a petty bar, but then I realized there would be no place for a passenger seat, which would make picking up babes that much more difficult.

Edit: I did not make the meme or the spelling.  I just copied it from the great internet.

image.png.11b106b02ca31a922241742b3b09c994.png

They can sit in the back.... 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:40 AM, ross2004 said:

Had a chance to peel some of the interior out of the way to inspect the cage.

The top of the firewall was pushed back approximately 14".  It was stopped by the dash bar and the anti intrusion bars which prevented the steering column coming back too much, or the pedals from coming back too far.

You can see in one picture where the upper intrusion bar squished the A pillar vertical.  The top door bar prevented the tube from buckling.  Avoid dead load paths wherever possible.

IMG_20190507_171028694~2.jpg

IMG_20190507_171438191~2.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Avoid dead load paths wherever possible.

Explain a little plz

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Explain a little plz

IIRC, the gist is: it is best to tie cage bars into common nodes, don’t “T” one bar into another. If you have to “T” a bar in, add another on the back side so that it actually becomes an “X” or a “+”.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Explain a little plz

Avoid leaving perpendicular tube connections without support along load paths.

The horizontal tube would have very likely buckled the A pillar down tube had the top door bar not been there to support it.  The load path didn't dead end because I chose to land the door bar at the same height as the anti intrusion bar.  Ideally, I had planned to continue the door bar to end with the rear backstays, to continue a foreword impact all the way through the cage instead of ending it at the main hoop.  This will be a consideration when the time comes to design the new cage.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Avoid leaving perpendicular tube connections without support along load paths.

The horizontal tube would have very likely buckled the A pillar down tube had the top door bar not been there to support it.  The load path didn't dead end because I chose to land the door bar at the same height as the anti intrusion bar.  Ideally, I had planned to continue the door bar to end with the rear backstays, to continue a foreword impact all the way through the cage instead of ending it at the main hoop.  This will be a consideration when the time comes to design the new cage.

Long time lurker here.  I'm in the process of building my roll cage (for a s12 200sx), figured now is as good a time as any to register.  Can you tell me what kind of tube you built your cage out of? Was it 1.75" x .095" (I assume DOM). How much did your car weigh? It looks like your cage efforts paid off, but man that's a lot of force to squish that tube and wrinkle the trans tunnel. 

Adding anti-intrusion bars to my list for sure! Feel terrible for all these cars that have been wrecked lately, but know that it's helping the next wave of racers prepare adequately. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Max said:

Long time lurker here.  I'm in the process of building my roll cage (for a s12 200sx), figured now is as good a time as any to register.  Can you tell me what kind of tube you built your cage out of? Was it 1.75" x .095" (I assume DOM). How much did your car weigh? It looks like your cage efforts paid off, but man that's a lot of force to squish that tube and wrinkle the trans tunnel. 

I used 1.5" x 0.125" for my cage on all of the required sections, 1.5" x 0.65" on the additional bars (footbars and additional rear bars and roof diagonal bar), and 1.25" x 0.65" for the gusset bars.  All DOM.

Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1