wesleyw

2019 Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL

B&W Racing (#418) had a lot of fun..our car did not perform well with too many mechanical issues... we did enjoy the day and had fun while out there.

Three quick videos:

Contact with #63 on the speedway back stretch:

#162 pushes down on grey BMW on backstretch

Yellow Miata gets into the wall coming onto speedway turn 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Does anyone know the car number/team name of the white Miata with gold roof and stripe? I’d like to contact them and clear the air a little more. We had contact in Turn 4 infield 2nd to last stint. 

Yup, that would have been me in the orange "yellow" Miata. First time there. And...hitting that wall shook me a bit and i had totally forgot the rear tried to come around. we bent a lower control arm that took about 45 min to swap and we were back out. i will say, that track is frightening, at least for me. too many immobile object for my taste, but it was fun and a good experience. my team, Cheap Thrills Racing, had a blast.

Just now, ad3adman said:

i will say, that track is frightening, at least for me. too many immobile object for my taste

Same thoughts for me

• Thanks 1

I caught a screw going into Nascar Turn 3 In car #307 NBY. Definitely wasn't fun by any stretch. Tire went flat and the inside bead of the tire tore completely. 

FB_IMG_1556389818016.jpg

Edited by Wyatt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Scary wrecks this weekend. 

The roval LED flagging was a bit of a challenge also.

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 6.18.49 PM.png

30 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Scary wrecks this weekend. 

The roval LED flagging was a bit of a challenge also.

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 6.18.49 PM.png

Is that #556? What happened? @wvumtnbkr?

12 hours ago, wesleyw said:

B&W Racing (#418) had a lot of fun..our car did not perform well with too many mechanical issues... we did enjoy the day and had fun while out there.

Three quick videos:

#162 pushes down on grey BMW on backstretch

Yellow Miata gets into the wall coming onto speedway turn 1

Second video- I was in the 346 when that happened. That car was scary fast on the oval and that incident was plain scary and inexcusable

Edited by JCrist
Simon replied
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Man... what a weekend for DamSon Racing. Prep did not start late, we nut and bolted the car in early March, but it ended late with the final touches being done Thursday night late and Friday morning causing us to leave town earlier than expected. Huge shoutout to Al with Champ for policing the garage area with assigned parking spots, being late didn’t cost us a parking spot. 

We only brought 4 new tires and rummaged through the scrubs for the best 2 lefts and 1 right we could find for changes. I personally wasn’t aware we were in contention for anything and I certainly didn’t know this was the Championship race, work has been an absolute bear for the past month and I just hadn’t paid attention to anything car related. Late Thursday night I found a busted FCAB bushing and had to get a teammate to pick up the replacement parts on the way to the track Friday. Not the way we like to prepare for a race- overwhelmed. 

Once we were on site, went through tech and got the FCAB bushings in/ things were pretty standard. We have worked for a year getting our program nailed down, people know what to do and why; we’ve added some new stuff but overall it was business as usual. Last year at Charlotte was out first full race as DSR, at VIR that year we took a splitter stanchion to the gas tank cutting our day short in the first session. At CMS we had fuel issues (that persisted almost all through 2018) and couldn’t make fuel to 2 hours because we could only get 12 gallons out of the tank. We had that fixed and felt good for this year. Well, With the different track config our fuel burn was off the charts, we were burning 15+ in 1:45ish. Once we realized we couldn’t make 2 hour stops we figured we were out of contention so we were just going hard and thinking about a swirl pot for next year. Our team was amazing and stops were super clean. We had to change a front left a stop earlier than expected and saw that right front was getting as much wear as left front, which made me sick to my stomach knowing I’d only brought 3 spares and scrubs to boot. We changed the right front the next stop to find it was through the cords. During that stint I was in the car and radiod in that the next guy would appreciate that right front more than the left front I had gotten because 3/4 were a little nerving knowing that tire was near its end. 

Anyway, got the front right on and we went back to work. Those three stints before the final hour stint were the difference, we put down a metric ton on sub 1:30 laps and stayed in the lead, all the while thinking that we had to make an extra stop than everyone else and/or that f#ck!ng Saab was a rocket ship! 😉. We hadn’t given up when we realized we were short on mileage but we thought we were beat. 

Our engineering types started adding it up and giving us some hope, if Simon stops, RBanks stops and/or a good yellow comes we could change our pit window down to... poop, YELLOW, BOX BOX BOX. We caught that last yellow, got the car in immediately and got our closer out on the track. The race came right to us. We were lucky, bottom line. Calculating our gap back to RVA Graphics for a podium turned into a P1. We ran a good race, hit our marks and executed our stops fantastically but the luck of the yellow gave us the win plain and simple. 

We didn’t know we had won the National Championship until Bill said it during the interview. We were lucky to be there, to have the car truck and trailer there, I almost said I was too busy to get the car finished. Walking into the registration building I had seen the trophy but the thought of winning it never crossed my mind. I was just happy to be there with friends on the team and in the paddock. 

That win was really a high point for all of us. It’s hard to win in this format as preparation has to be graced by fortune, that makes the wins sweeter. Oh and that trophy was the best thing I’ve ever seen! We are excited and look forward to proudly wearing the #1 this year. Thanks to all of our fellow racers. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

NLS Racing had a good first stint.  We were in 4th when we ran out of gas.  That cost us about 7 extra minutes.  We had a fast car and knew we would make it back up.  Then our second driver got in and was caught off guard by the fast closing rate on a slower car.  He went wide getting into Nascar 1 and got into the marbles.  That took him directly into the wall.  That spot of the wall claimed at least 3 cars that i know of.  Our car is totaled, but we were planning on building version 2.0 anyway.  Noe our timeline has been moved up.  We hope to have the next car ready for VIR 24hr.  Our driver was ok just a little sore.  The track was eating cars all day long.  Those wall don't budge.  I did learn a bunch about the safety of different cage designs, looking at all the carnage.  Our car performed just as designed with minimal driver compartment intrusion.  A big thanks to Champcar for another great event.  Our car has the pace to win we just got to put it all together.  It just goes to show that speed is just a part of the formula!

https://youtu.be/MjMr9omsF2M?t=14829

nlscrash2.JPG

• Sad 6

21 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

NLS Racing had a good first stint.  We were in 4th when we ran out of gas.  That cost us about 7 extra minutes.  We had a fast car and knew we would make it back up.  Then our second driver got in and was caught off guard by the fast closing rate on a slower car.  He went wide getting into Nascar 1 and got into the marbles.  That took him directly into the wall.  That spot of the wall claimed at least 3 cars that i know of.  Our car is totaled, but we were planning on building version 2.0 anyway.  Noe our timeline has been moved up.  We hope to have the next car ready for VIR 24hr.  Our driver was ok just a little sore.  The track was eating cars all day long.  Those wall don't budge.  I did learn a bunch about the safety of different cage designs, looking at all the carnage.  Our car performed just as designed with minimal driver compartment intrusion.  A big thanks to Champcar for another great event.  Our car has the pace to win we just got to put it all together.  It just goes to show that speed is just a part of the formula!

https://youtu.be/MjMr9omsF2M?t=14829

Sorry to see you guys have troubles.   Your car doesn't look that bad - why do you say its totalled?

27 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Man... what a weekend for DamSon Racing.

We didn’t know we had won the National Championship until Bill said it during the interview. We were lucky to be there, to have the car truck and trailer there, I almost said I was too busy to get the car finished. Walking into the registration building I had seen the trophy but the thought of winning it never crossed my mind. I was just happy to be there with friends on the team and in the paddock. 

That win was really a high point for all of us. It’s hard to win in this format as preparation has to be graced by fortune, that makes the wins sweeter. Oh and that trophy was the best thing I’ve ever seen! We are excited and look forward to proudly wearing the #1 this year. Thanks to all of our fellow racers. 

Congrats on the well earned win - you guys ran a solid race - no mistakes, hit your marks, and played your cards right.  Well done!

The fire wall is twisted.  It does not look that bad from those pics.  And if we wanted too we could probably pull it back into shape.  But we have another shell ready to go.  One that we were going to start building anyway.  I'll get more picture posted as we start the tear down.

shell.JPG

4 hours ago, wesleyw said:

That was me driving Simon.  I'm really sorry about that!  it was entirely my fault and the only contact we had all weekend.  I got surprised  by the car yellow car passing me on the right and was moving over to give him some more room.  I thought I had a lot more space between you and I and I moved the wheel a little too quickly.

I knew I did it but I couldn't ID your car when it happened.  I wanted to find you to apologize, so thanks for posting!

Feel free to accidentally bump me next race for retribution :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlorahDorah said:

Is that #556? What happened? @wvumtnbkr?

Yep.  That is me trying to get my coolsuit unfastened standing outside of the car on the track with cars flying by....

Anybody have any video of the 556 , 0 and I believe 313 accident?

I would like to see why the he'll I ended up in the wall, how many times I hit the wall, and who made the ridiculous decision to go 3 wide...

Just got back to Detroit myself, enjoying a decompression BEvERage.  Decided 4ish hours into the trip home that a nap at the service station would be a good call.  20 min shut-eye was good!

Lots of time to reminisce about the race during the drive, but not enough brain power to spare, so more later.

Fun crazy weekend.  That track is brutal on cars and drivers (even without incidents).  I'm exhausted and sore in places I haven't been in a long while.  And while loading car up this morning, we found massive toe in on left front (happened on track in first couple of stints, as it was nice and straight when I pulled car up to grid, and was winky by the time I got in 4th stint) and the top mounts for radiator had moved themselves from holding the radiator in place to somewhere on the track, along with one bolt that holds the radiator cross member to fender..   dodged a blown radiator on that one! eeek.   

I should have some sweet still shots / video from the last stint - @E. Tyler Pedersen making a light show through 3/4 banking.  Possibly the black 944 making sparks with exit of infield.  

Really shows the quality of the teams and cars of a large chunk of the teams.  So many cars were pounding out fast laps all 14 hours!  Impressive!

Congratulations to Damson, rbank and Simon on the podium.  Well run races for all of you.  

The racing was great at the 2019 Champcar National Championship. Thank you Champcar staff and volunteers for making the event so enjoyable. 

I am told that I was given a waving black flag to restart the race after the pace car pulled into the pits. I am colorblind so I didn't know until I was told after I got out of the car. I just assumed the waving dark flag after the pace car pulled in was green. Sorry if I was randomly checking up or braking during this race. The corner workers were wearing yellow shirts that were apparently easily differentiated from the yellow flag by most people but with my color blindness every time I looked at a station the first 15 - 30 minutes of my stint I ended up lifting or checking up when I first saw the yellow shirts at a glance. I don't think it caused anyone a real issue but may have looked odd or pissed someone off. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, red0 said:

The racing was great at the 2019 Champcar National Championship. Thank you Champcar staff and volunteers for making the event so enjoyable. 

I am told that I was given a waving black flag to restart the race after the pace car pulled into the pits. I am colorblind so I didn't know until I was told after I got out of the car. I just assumed the waving dark flag after the pace car pulled in was green. Sorry if I was randomly checking up or braking during this race. The corner workers were wearing yellow shirts that were apparently easily differentiated from the yellow flag by most people but with my color blindness every time I looked at a station the first 15 - 30 minutes of my stint I ended up lifting or checking up when I first saw the yellow shirts at a glance. I don't think it caused anyone a real issue but may have looked odd or pissed someone off. 

You weren’t the only one thrown off by the yellow shirts. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jakks said:

It would be nice to have them wear fluorescent orange or pink, since those colors don’t match any of the main flag colors. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JCrist said:

Second video- I was in the 346 when that happened. That car was scary fast on the oval and that incident was plain scary and inexcusable

Was that move “inexcusable”, or should it be described as “Ludicrous”?   Sorry.  Couldn’t resist that one.  

Hope the car that got pushed off was able to continue 

Edited by Racer28173
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jakks said:

T5 Infield dude shirt was bad, but t12 (nascar 4) guy, storing the yellow flag upright next to his leg, while its blowing in the breeze, was worse, it forced ones attention to him the fastest part of the track.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

It would be nice to have them wear fluorescent orange or pink, since those colors don’t match any of the main flag colors. 

Or maybe white like every other corner marshals... Their flagging and marshaling wasn’t the greatest either

2 minutes ago, jakks said:

Or maybe white like every other corner marshals... Their flagging and marshaling wasn’t the greatest either

White works well at places that have lots of green grass as the backdrop.  If the surroundings are mostly white concrete walls then a white outfit provides little contrast.  But yellow is definitely the wrong solution to that problem.