wesleyw

2019 Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL

11 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

T5 Infield dude shirt was bad, but t12 (nascar 4) guy, storing the yellow flag upright next to his leg, while its blowing in the breeze was worse, it forced ones attention to him the fastest part of the track.

Every time by there... Glad I wasn't the only one thrown off... 

Flagging on the roval was definitely a bit confusing as the EV was on the apron often with all the lights still green. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hurljohn said:

Flagging on the roval was definitely a bit confusing as the EV was on the apron often with all the lights still green. 

during my first stint at 3- nobody paid any attention to the infield flaggers.  Multiple times all the flaggers were waving the yellow, but the lights were green, so everybody kept on racing.  Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought only the lights were to be used on the oval section, not the infield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We feel lucky to be back home with two driving cars in fairly good condition.

We didn't really have the speed to podium in this field on this track - I think we were about 1-2 seconds off the pace needed to do that.  The configuration definitely favored speed, but not quite as much as I was expecting.

Unfortunately, I think we could have gone to impound if we hadn't had some small gremlins spring up on both cars.

146:

This car really surprised me - it was on pace with the other one, and actually faster during the heat of the day.  It ran all day long solidly, just kept on clocking out laps like E30's are supposed to do.  What a fantastic car to drive.

The gremlins plagued it still:

1. AFR gauge has apparently failed - so the tune is likely off.  IT was reading 22 pretty much my whole time in the car, but the car was running great.  The sweet flames it was shooting in to T1 likely explain our terrible fuel mileage, which hurt our pit strategy and cost us at least 1 pit under FCY

2. In the second stint the coolant pressure sensor failed, necessitating a stop to check the coolant and ensure everything was OK.  Even worse, I programmed the dash to not remove the message until the condition went away, so I had no other gauges for the rest of that stint until we could flash the dash at the next stop.  This necessitated me coasting into t1 with the clutch depressed as the message went away at Idle and I could quickly check the gauges - but it was costing some time and kept me from braking deep and getting passes in one of the cars strongest spots.

3. Most painfully, in the last stop, the QR hub failed and decided it wasn't going to lock back into place.  Not sure how long it took to fix, but it took us from 6/7th to 11th, eliminating any shot at a drive to the impound.

246:

This car was terrifying to drive - lots of pucker moments compared to the other one.  Definitely the faster car in the AM and under the lights though.  

Gremlins plaguing 246:

1. To start the race the oil cap got left off - just a silly mistake - so we started DFL instead of 5th

2. The upper radiator hose blew off the radiator not just once, but twice!  Thankfully it didn't hurt the engine, but why now?  The hose has been installed for at least 48 hours of racing already...

3. Fuel cap issue during the 4th stop caused about a third of a tank to slosh out before we did a stop and go to fix it.  This put us into having to make an extra stop - which we were able to eliminate due to the redflag resetting drivers stints.

4. AIM programming for the oil pressure caused the dash to light up red in some turns from reduced oil pressure.  I need to get the oil pressure warning set properly so that this doesnt happen, as it conditions our drivers to see the red flashing as OK when it may not be OK in the future.   

Hats off to Damson, Rbank, and Simon.  All three are certainly deserving of the podium finishes  - just excellent driving and execution all day long.  WOW.

Charlotte is a tough freaking track.  Lots of concrete, lots of busted cars, Sore muscles, and tired drivers.  Not sure I want to go back, but maybe that feeling will fade after awhile.

28 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

T5 Infield dude shirt was bad, but t12 (nascar 4) guy, storing the yellow flag upright next to his leg, while its blowing in the breeze, was worse, it forced ones attention to him the fastest part of the track.

Yeah this was the worst in NASCAR 4 worth the flag blowing in the breeze. I'll debrief with Mike so he can share with the track. Anything else you all saw we can give feedback back to the track?

Just now, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Yeah this was the worst in NASCAR 4 worth the flag blowing in the breeze. I'll debrief with Mike so he can share with the track. Anything else you all saw we can give feedback back to the track?

The confusion on being able to use the xfinity garages kinda sucked.  Simon, Elon, and I had already parked and unloaded when we were told we had to move.   

This put us about as far as possible away from our pit box, which was unfortunate at best.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wesleyw said:

B&W Racing (#418) had a lot of fun..our car did not perform well with too many mechanical issues... we did enjoy the day and had fun while out there.

Three quick videos:

Contact with #63 on the speedway back stretch:

#162 pushes down on grey BMW on backstretch

Yellow Miata gets into the wall coming onto speedway turn 1

A long time ago my wife bought me one of those Rusty Wallace NASCAR experiences at CMS.  During the driver briefing one of the instructors said that if for some reason you lose it on the banking, NEVER try to save it.  If you do you will just re-hook up and end up in the wall hard.  He went on to say that just keeping the wheel straight or slightly left and you will just have a long downhill spin. 

When i  raced there with Chump a few years ago I kept telling myself that, but we all know that we can't suddenly unlearn to countersteer. 

The third video made me think of this and I bet we will see another video of the same.  Those walls look hard, SAFER barriers or not.

Good to hear that the only serious damage was to the cars and not the drivers.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Huggy said:

3. Fuel cap issue ... This put us into having to make an extra stop - which we were able to eliminate due to the redflag resetting drivers stints.

WHAT?  How does this work?   Rules clearly say driver have max time of 2 hours and must be out of car for 60 minutes before getting back in.  Says nothing about red flag condition extending or re-setting the time limit.  If there was communication to the teams I would have liked to have known as we could have benefitted 

47 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I concur the flagging was generally terrible.  Big ones I saw were:

-Shirt color.  Terrible.

-yellow-flag being stored upright flapping in the wind on the oval.  I just came to a determination that if I could see it flapping in the wind that it wasn't yellow.

-Person at 4 (?2nd LH turn in infield) must have assumed 'standing yellow' meant 'stand while holding the yellow flag down and away where drivers can't see it' (but I guess since they were usually sitting down and not visible, 'standing yellow' worked as just them standing up with their yellow shirt on)

-Turn 5, half the time they were holding the flag right in front of them.  Blended into their shirt quite nicely.

-Also turn 5, twice NO flag with a car off inside of 6 (turn 6/7 had their flags out), but we were already on top of the stopped car)

-Also turn 5 - the LED light boards generally work well, but not so visible when corner worker holding board is inline with a a track light.

-Turn 6/7 (I'm not sure which it was for) is not well placed for visibility for drivers coming into 6, they are sort of over the crest.

-Turn 8 - that dude was standing in the track holding the LED board.  

Hoping to have video to show all of these.

1 hour ago, Hurljohn said:

Me too.  Reminds me of the yellow sprint sign at the Glen.  Every lap the corner worker in Nascar four got my attention.

On one restart the start-finish flagger was waiving a black flag.  After about 5 cars went by I think he realized it and quickly switched to green.  Or else that's the black flag Andrew was referring to.

Edited by Jer

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

T5 Infield dude shirt was bad, but t12 (nascar 4) guy, storing the yellow flag upright next to his leg, while its blowing in the breeze, was worse, it forced ones attention to him the fastest part of the track.

Completely agree.  I considered asking one of the officials to address it but thought it was just me.  It seemed worse when the lights went on and really lit it up bright yellow.  Definitely distracted me every time around because it required a deliberate check to see if it was still stored or waving with purpose. 

16 minutes ago, Jer said:

On one restart the start-finish flagger was waiving a black flag.  After about 5 cars went by I think he realized it and quickly switched to green.  Or else that's the black flag Andrew was referring to.

I think that was the one I was referring to. It didn't bother me a lick since I assumed it was green :) 

• Haha 4

On 4/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, Huggy said:

This car was terrifying to drive - lots of pucker moments compared to the other one.  Definitely the faster car in the AM and under the lights though.

Terrifying - yes, but still a blast to drive, got better after the sun went down and wasn't whiteout blinded by the sun in nascar 4.  As long as you didn't use the brakes the car was awesome. Going into nascar 3 flat out (edit: almost flat out) time after time in this car was one of the more questionable decisions I have made in my 50 odd years.  Damn it was fun.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, Huggy said:

Hats off to Damson, Rbank, and Simon.  All three are certainly deserving of the podium finishes  - just excellent driving and execution all day long.  WOW.

Absolutely.  Some really good driving by all in those cars.  It was fun to run close to all three and know you could trust them.  Well deserved podiums.

Great job by @Huggy and his crew putting two cars out there so well prepared.  We had some really off the wall stuff happen as noted, but the cars were prepped great.  

Champcar staff as always put on a good show.  Keep up the good work.  I know Mike said in the board meeting this is like coming to a rowdy bar to spend time in the forum, but I like to think it's a tad better than that.  We can come here and relive the weekend and enjoy some good stories.  There will always be the random bs that will come up and be debated ad nauseum but I am still glad we have this available to us.

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Going into nascar 3 flat out time after time in this car was one of the more questionable decisions I have made in my 50 odd years.  Damn it was fun.

This

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UMDgrad said:

if for some reason you lose it on the banking, NEVER try to save it.  If you do you will just re-hook up and end up in the wall hard.  He went on to say that just keeping the wheel straight or slightly left and you will just have a long downhill spin. 

Words of wisdom - I will try to never forget that. 

• Like 2

I hurt. All over. I guess I'm spoiled by Daytona when it comes to driving rovals.

Thanks to @Huggy for trusting me with his cars. It was a blast getting the opporunity to drive the cars. Trying to hold back and not go full boogie driving the 146 on a fuel mileage stint was tough, but it definitely helped get us back where we needed to be. I am also quite proud of the fact that I got the 246 car coolant bled in record time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

I hurt. All over. I guess I'm spoiled by Daytona when it comes to driving rovals.

Thanks to @Huggy for trusting me with his cars. It was a blast getting the opporunity to drive the cars. Trying to hold back and not go full boogie driving the 146 on a fuel mileage stint was tough, but it definitely helped get us back where we needed to be. I am also quite proud of the fact that I got the 246 car coolant bled in record time.

I would agree with everything you said, including the fact you are the BMW coolant bleedologist.  All that plus it was fun hanging out with a great bunch of folks.

• Like 2

Just glad our car is still straight. 

Had a rear main go pretty much straight away, miss diagnosed it as the front cover on the trans leaking...Two trans swaps took us out of play. Car was still fast, towards the front of A class, lap time wise. 

Frustrating weekend.

Edited by Wink
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Came out of this thinking this is one of the roughest tracks I've been on.  Surprised the nascar boys like it.  I searched all of the lines into turn 3 and never found a smooth entrance.  Also transitions into and out of roval were rough.  Sounds like Daytona is quite the opposite?

Our car suffered from the constant vibrations.

Agree with everyone that going into turn 3 on the floor was hairy but exhilarating at the same time :)

4 hours ago, Huggy said:

We feel lucky to be back home with two driving cars in fairly good condition.

We didn't really have the speed to podium in this field on this track - I think we were about 1-2 seconds off the pace needed to do that.  The configuration definitely favored speed, but not quite as much as I was expecting.

4 hours ago, Huggy said:

I was happy to have the wheelbase and track width of our car in the banking. It was flat all the way around all day, full fuel load or empty, but it took each of us a lap or two to believe it again... each stint 😂.  Could any of your guys get the orange car (146?) through flat the entire way?  I was out there twice and I’m pretty sure those drivers had to lift, they would pull away from 1 to the entrance of 3 but I was able to pull back up through 3 and 4.  

4 minutes ago, JCrist said:

I was happy to have the wheelbase and track width of our car in the banking. It was flat all the way around all day, full fuel load or empty, but it took each of us a lap or two to believe it again... each stint 😂.  Could any of your guys get the orange car (146?) through flat the entire way?  I was out there twice and I’m pretty sure those drivers had to lift, they would pull away from 1 to the entrance of 3 but I was able to pull back up through 3 and 4.  

246, orange car, going flat in to Nascar 3 was hair raising. It was possible, but took full commitment. I can't remember if I did it more than once or twice. Most times it was a lift as you were entering, and powering back in once the car "set" and skipped along.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JCrist said:

White 146 could go flat all day - but it would not keep up with your car

Orange 246 would gap your car, but we had to lift during the heat of the day.  In the AM and under the lights it would stick the middle line flat.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, faisduvtt said:

Sounds like Daytona is quite the opposite?

Daytona is fun and relaxing, and just a blast. Charlotte was white knuckle pucker moment for 2 hours. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, red0 said:

Daytona is fun and relaxing, and just a blast. Charlotte was white knuckle pucker moment for 2 hours. 

Basically this. The track surface on the banking of Daytona is smooth as glass. We were running 130+ at Daytona driving one handed at times.

41 minutes ago, faisduvtt said:

Came out of this thinking this is one of the roughest tracks I've been on.  Surprised the nascar boys like it.  I searched all of the lines into turn 3 and never found a smooth entrance.  Also transitions into and out of roval were rough.  Sounds like Daytona is quite the opposite?

Our car suffered from the constant vibrations.

Agree with everyone that going into turn 3 on the floor was hairy but exhilarating at the same time :)

If you think that Charlotte was bad transition going on and off the oval then you have not driven MIS. @red0 can attest that going into the infield from the oval was a rough transition there. 

25 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

If you think that Charlotte was bad transition going on and off the oval then you have not driven MIS. @red0 can attest that going into the infield from the oval was a rough transition there. 

We armor plated our headers for that track.