wesleyw

2019 Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL

I had a great time as always racing with ChampCar as well as meeting some new friends this past weekend.  Myself and the rest of the DamSon team LOVES the Charlotte event. It is challenging and hairy at times!!!! Awesome!!!     See you all at the Glen!!

The flagging might not have been 

The greatest, but at least we didn't have someone with laser focus out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

White 146 could go flat all day - but it would not keep up with your car

Orange 246 would gap your car, but we had to lift during the heat of the day.  In the AM and under the lights it would stick the middle line flat.

I could run the bottom flat in the morning with 246.   Don't get me wrong, it took me half the stint. 

Add a good tow and...  Full commitment! 

30 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

The flagging might not have been 

The greatest, but at least we didn't have someone with laser focus out there.

I wondered how long it would be before somebody got called homeslice. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hurljohn said:

I could run the bottom flat in the morning with 246.   Don't get me wrong, it took me half the stint. 

Add a good tow and...  Full commitment! 

I radioed in at the beginning of my seconds stint "jesus, the car will do it, it just takes me 2-3 laps to not crack it at least a little bit damn". Everybody had the same experience in our car.  I think the highest speed was turning in from the top of the track and apexing around the center of 4 and tracking out.  Of course that required no one to be around me.  I'm really glad most folks stayed in their lane through there!

Our car wont do the lap the 246 will at VIR but it was good at CMS.  Yes speed was the key but it was born from handling.  You guys' E30 with the completely legal power to weight ratio it runs plus aero is really tough to beat but CMS is one of those places where the short wheelbase and more narrow track width put it at a disadvantage.  It's amazing how the cars get to a similar lap time coming from so many different places. RBanks car was so freakishly fast in the straights it was mind blowing.  If that car handled like ours it would have run 1:20.

• Like 2

HOLY poop BALLS how could we have not posted about this already!!  Who saw the fire bottle man immediately put out a fueling fire?? It was just up from the wall break towards the pit out end of pit road.  TREMENDOUS JOB whoever that was!!!!!  I really hope someone has video that we can share, Champ should be all over that.  The person did an amazing job and the dynamics of the rule obviously work very well - the distance back from the fueler, watching the area and not looking around, pin pulled, visors down..  It worked guys.  It was scary but awesome to watch.  Anyone on here involved?

• Like 4

Anyone have video from the AWD audi spinning out of nascar 4 in the 1st stint?

We saw it from the pits, there is no doubt the driver has ruined shorts:ph34r:

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 1

The flashers threw out black flags for the incident where the shark was sitting by the wall coming back onto the roval.  It was very confusing.  Not yellow flags, black.  At the stand right before the incident and the one before that.

It was weird.

32 minutes ago, JCrist said:

I radioed in at the beginning of my seconds stint "jesus, the car will do it, it just takes me 2-3 laps to not crack it at least a little bit damn". Everybody had the same experience in our car.  I think the highest speed was turning in from the top of the track and apexing around the center of 4 and tracking out.  Of course that required no one to be around me.  I'm really glad most folks stayed in their lane through there!

Our car wont do the lap the 246 will at VIR but it was good at CMS.  Yes speed was the key but it was born from handling.  You guys' E30 with the completely legal power to weight ratio it runs plus aero is really tough to beat but CMS is one of those places where the short wheelbase and more narrow track width put it at a disadvantage.  It's amazing how the cars get to a similar lap time coming from so many different places. RBanks car was so freakishly fast in the straights it was mind blowing.  If that car handled like ours it would have run 1:20.

It would have been interesting to personally see what the 246 would have done. I wanted to compare it with the 307. Chris offered me one of his stints, but after the incident the 307 car had and the flat tire I suffered the stint just prior that nearly lead me to have a major incident in Nascar 3/4 I decided to call it quits.

The whole day just had one of those Final Destination vibes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

It would have been interesting to personally see what the 246 would have done. I wanted to compare it with the 307. Chris offered me one of his stints, but after the incident the 307 car had and the flat tire I suffered the stint just prior that nearly lead me to have a major incident in Nascar 3/4 I decided to call it quits.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.  Know when to walk away and know when to run...

;)

• Like 2

I was shocked that the AERO car held its own at CMS.  I would have guessed it to be 2 seconds slower at such a power track.

It was truly amazing to drive that car - it is just HOOKED up, everywhere.  I am sad the aero has to change now because of a silly rule interpretation change.

Same to say about simon - WOW that thing is fast on the oval!  It was fun following you for the last hour - I was tired as poop and just trying to hold off a Miata for 10th - thanks for keeping pace for me!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Huggy said:

I am sad the aero has to change now because of a silly rule interpretation change.

AFAIK, maxed out aero comes in at 5x10 = 50 points, so you’re still good. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cool that you guys have an aero and non-aero car to test with.  We thought about taking the diff out for a speedway course like CMS or Daytona and trying an undertray for the aero.

So what's the motor differences between the 2 cars?

36 minutes ago, Huggy said:

I was shocked that the AERO car held its own at CMS.  I would have guessed it to be 2 seconds slower at such a power track.

It was truly amazing to drive that car - it is just HOOKED up, everywhere.  I am sad the aero has to change now because of a silly rule interpretation change.

Same to say about simon - WOW that thing is fast on the oval!  It was fun following you for the last hour - I was tired as poop and just trying to hold off a Miata for 10th - thanks for keeping pace for me!

Was also amazed seeing what both your cars could do.

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

We had a big aero debate for this track. Our conclusion was that driver confidence, at this level of driver skill, was more important than raw speed. We debated several possible changes with significant mph advantage but ultimately chose to only trim the wing to allow our drivers full throttle for as much of the oval as possible without the need to lift. It was a clear case where the empirical calculations and strategic understanding of the track plus our drivers were at odds.

Not Banned Yet Race Report

This one is a doozy complete with a backstory! We have to go back a few weeks where an employee suddenly left, leaving many of us with excessive work to make up the shortfall. Soon thereafter a tree fell on our shop.
Untitled-9.jpg.f0d905063c0f349b7125a6b8211bd237.jpg

Then a family trip to Atlanta led to my daily driver wagon being stolen from my hotel parking lot on Easter morning. It has since been found with the engine & trans chopped out.
MVIMG_20190421_100604_small.jpg.002e7a3788bf235eda8d6a1a4cca02b4.jpg

We had just rebuilt our engine after a bearing failure at VIR S. Upon firing up the rebuilt engine, a bucket shim got stuck under a cam lobe breaking the cam. To reach this diagnostic point, there was a lot of cranking and disconnecting of systems. We installed a new cam and got the car together in time for the race.
broken_cam.jpg.fb2e2429128f08cc39cd81b4e7d8daa8.jpg

As we towed down, we used some gas in our tow vehicle that had excessive water in it, stopping us as we were getting on the highway. We barely made it back up the cloverleaf and were in the way of traffic as we pumped the water out of the fuel line. 
Untitled-11.thumb.jpg.763f8c67fb5248a558a3a847e4aaf4dc.jpg

We finally made it to the track and on race morning, our car quickly died on track. We were towed in as we had several false diagnoses. Ultimately, it was a cascading failure from the broken cam as some of the systems that were disabled for testing weren't properly re-enabled. Our battery failed as a result. Once back underway, we got a nail in our right rear tire somewhere on the racetrack that had @Wyatt hauling at top speed on 3-4 with a deflated right rear heavily loaded tire. The sidewalls were trashed and we were all happy about his ability to diagnose a fault and quickly come in safely!
NBY_nail.thumb.jpg.9ef4ee2a12d0fcac00e3a5a5efd3d71e.jpg

We had another vibration on the car and attempted some remedies. Unfortunately, our next driver in came out of T1 onto the banking out of control and his attempts to reign the car back in led to our hard hit into the wall. 

InkedIMG_20190427_140618_LI_3.thumb.jpg.d7d15b4d3be68b3372d2342c7f23a2d8.jpg

I may need to take @Ray Franck's suggestion and play the lottery this week.

Our Not Banned Yet #307 car operated under a few names over the years. She earned us hardware, was a continuous challenge, and at times pushed the envelope. We've had a wonderful time working on, driving, drinking near, and building friendships and memories around this car. We're grateful for her service. #307 will be retired as we move on to the next car which will take us some time to debut. In the meantime, we'll still be at the racetrack running with other teams and continuing to develop products like our flagtronics.com system and our many electronics products from our title sponsor, Ballenger Motorsports. Thanks to everyone who has contributed, driven, worked on, and otherwise been a part of our lives while campaigning #307. 
NBY_1.thumb.jpg.d7bfb34451b65cd876883851f45fb0f9.jpg

InkedIMG_20190427_140618_LI_3.jpg

Edited by vtjballeng
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

The universe has a way of telling you to step back and take several deep breaths. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vtjballeng said:

We had a big aero debate for this track.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, driven, worked on, and otherwise been a part of our lives while campaigning #307. 

Glad nobody was hurt and hope to see you back out there soon!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Yep.  I didn't have any confidence.  That track scared me.  I wasn't going to so a second stint, but the driver order kinda made it happen...

Next time I feel that way, I'm not driving.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep.  I didn't have any confidence.  That track scared me.  I wasn't going to so a second stint, but the driver order kinda made it happen...

I don’t plan on coming back to Charlotte personally but I’m also from Chicago. Champcar really does a great job, but I was scared the entire race. I told Robin before I went out that I may be slower than usual because I am more cautious than I should be as a driver and I also have too much mechanical sympathy. I ended up doing fine because Jarrett Bank did such a good job the car felt like a tank, but I was still skittish.

What was everyone's top speed?  We were high 120's to low 130's most laps.  I saw a 139 and 137 a couple of laps?  Either a data error or a good line and draft through Nascar 3-4?

We figured it out based on gearing.  Looks like 120 was about our absolute fastest that I saw.

44 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Same feeling came over me at Barber last year when it wouldn't stop raining. Also prior to my stint, I slipped on the trailer rear door because of the rain:-( First 2 drivers spun but didn't hit anything, even though I had that feeling, I went in when my stint came around,  guess what, it started raining harder. I started logging laps being as cautious as possible without getting run over. Heading into 7 I took the same line, same braking but it suddenly stepped on me and hit the guardrail left and shot across track and slapped the guardrail right. Moral of this post, when you have THAT feeling, there is a reason. Listen to it:-)  

Charlotte was great for Running Bulls, we had a few small issues but we overcame them and finished 14th. Strange thing though, 2 if not 3 of the drivers felt a strange vertigo sensation upon entering Nascar 3 for the first time at speed. Didn't feel that again for the remainder of that stint or a 2nd stint. Did anyone else hear of that issue?

RNR

26 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

What was everyone's top speed?  We were high 120's to low 130's most laps.  I saw a 139 and 137 a couple of laps?  Either a data error or a good line and draft through Nascar 3-4?

RBR was mid 120's most laps. Our racecapture shows a couple high 120's, but iI'm not confident in those being accurate. FTD for our car was a 1:30.6. That track was definitely not for the faint of heart.

Edited by jakks
  • Like 1

I hit 136 with a draft on one lap, Schumacher Taxi's fastest raw speed.  I really enjoy Charlotte, not scared except the bimmer was not very good in the infield.  You had to tip toe through 1 and especially coming back out to the oval.  If we tried to do the things others were doing, we would have crashed fast.  

Running in the top ten all day, we finally blew a head gasket around 4:30.  dang.  

Edited by Jer

On 4/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, JCrist said:

Second video- I was in the 346 when that happened. That car was scary fast on the oval and that incident was plain scary and inexcusable

@JCrist I lead the #162 team. I’m sorry we caused this incident. Looks like you held the low line and had every right to that position. Fault lies with us. I hope the incident didn’t cause any lasting damage. We didn’t know who we made contact with or we would have stopped by Saturday. I just spoke with our driver and want to pass on his comments. 

“I’m sorry about making contact. It was my fault for coming down on you. I just lost track of you in my mirrors”

Just for context, this was about his sixth lap on a banked track ever. 

Chris Shay 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1