Jump to content
wesleyw

2019 Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL

Recommended Posts

Crank Yankers Racing had a tough race at Charlotte. I towed my car since we had the board meeting and wanted to see how we would do against some of the top cars in ChampCar.

 

We had a successful board meeting on Friday. We teched the car and things seemed to be going well as I did a lot of garage prep before this race. I had to put all my decals on and adjust the wing. Pretty basic items before a race. Also was able to go around and meet some new teams and members. 

 

Saturday we had our new driver to our team start the race. He started 38th and ended his stint in 3rd place. Next stint the driver said the brakes felt a little spongy and it would pull left. Eric our first driver said he didn't notice that. He finished his stint but just felt uneasy. I checked things at the 2nd pit stop (in 6th place) and things seemed fine. 3rd driver said he has no brakes and so we brought him in. No brake leaks. Tried bleeding the brakes, sent him out and same thing. So we decided we would take it behind the wall. Found out we had bad pad kickback due to a horrendous right front wheel bearing. The guy in the 2nd stint did the majority of his stint with it bad. 

 

We fixed the wheel bearing (only had 17 hours on it, but Sebring and roval were very hard on it) and went out to finish the race. We ended 30th out of 74 with issues but proved we have good pace in the series. 

 

Thanks to all the staff, members, corner workers and volunteers. Thanks to everyone for giving their input in person at the track about our series too.

 

 

 

First stint

 

20190427_092539.jpg

FB_IMG_1556638898701.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, Huggy said:

We feel lucky to be back home with two driving cars in fairly good condition.

 

We didn't really have the speed to podium in this field on this track - I think we were about 1-2 seconds off the pace needed to do that.  The configuration definitely favored speed, but not quite as much as I was expecting.

 

Unfortunately, I think we could have gone to impound if we hadn't had some small gremlins spring up on both cars.

 

146:

This car really surprised me - it was on pace with the other one, and actually faster during the heat of the day.  It ran all day long solidly, just kept on clocking out laps like E30's are supposed to do.  What a fantastic car to drive.

The gremlins plagued it still:

1. AFR gauge has apparently failed - so the tune is likely off.  IT was reading 22 pretty much my whole time in the car, but the car was running great.  The sweet flames it was shooting in to T1 likely explain our terrible fuel mileage, which hurt our pit strategy and cost us at least 1 pit under FCY

2. In the second stint the coolant pressure sensor failed, necessitating a stop to check the coolant and ensure everything was OK.  Even worse, I programmed the dash to not remove the message until the condition went away, so I had no other gauges for the rest of that stint until we could flash the dash at the next stop.  This necessitated me coasting into t1 with the clutch depressed as the message went away at Idle and I could quickly check the gauges - but it was costing some time and kept me from braking deep and getting passes in one of the cars strongest spots.

3. Most painfully, in the last stop, the QR hub failed and decided it wasn't going to lock back into place.  Not sure how long it took to fix, but it took us from 6/7th to 11th, eliminating any shot at a drive to the impound.

 

246:

This car was terrifying to drive - lots of pucker moments compared to the other one.  Definitely the faster car in the AM and under the lights though.  

Gremlins plaguing 246:

1. To start the race the oil cap got left off - just a silly mistake - so we started DFL instead of 5th

2. The upper radiator hose blew off the radiator not just once, but twice!  Thankfully it didn't hurt the engine, but why now?  The hose has been installed for at least 48 hours of racing already...

3. Fuel cap issue during the 4th stop caused about a third of a tank to slosh out before we did a stop and go to fix it.  This put us into having to make an extra stop - which we were able to eliminate due to the redflag resetting drivers stints.

4. AIM programming for the oil pressure caused the dash to light up red in some turns from reduced oil pressure.  I need to get the oil pressure warning set properly so that this doesnt happen, as it conditions our drivers to see the red flashing as OK when it may not be OK in the future.   

 

 

Hats off to Damson, Rbank, and Simon.  All three are certainly deserving of the podium finishes  - just excellent driving and execution all day long.  WOW.

 

Charlotte is a tough freaking track.  Lots of concrete, lots of busted cars, Sore muscles, and tired drivers.  Not sure I want to go back, but maybe that feeling will fade after awhile.

 

 

 

Car #189 We blew our upper rad hose off as well after 6hrs of racing after looking at the engine telemetry it looks like we had a slow and intermittent unchecked coolant leak. Turned out to be a blown head gasket.  So the hose blowing off was secondary..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 10:18 PM, pintodave said:

Hooray for mandatory HANS devices in this series, that is some scary stuff.

 

Did the exit out of the infield change that drastically with the Nascar road course revamp, I honestly do not remember if it did or not. The angle looks about the same, and I do remember the transition being harsh for sure. 

I've done this course 4 times now, the only difference I saw was the entrance into the infield.  It was wider and a gradual sweeping turn.  It was a 90 degree turn this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 4:11 PM, Wyatt said:

The flagging might not have been 

The greatest, but at least we didn't have someone with laser focus out there.

 

received_2149430075152694.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Crank Yankers Racing had a tough race at Charlotte. I towed my car since we had the board meeting and wanted to see how we would do against some of the top cars in ChampCar.

 

We had a successful board meeting on Friday. We teched the car and things seemed to be going well as I did a lot of garage prep before this race. I had to put all my decals on and adjust the wing. Pretty basic items before a race. Also was able to go around and meet some new teams and members. 

 

Saturday we had our new driver to our team start the race. He started 38th and ended his stint in 3rd place. Next stint the driver said the brakes felt a little spongy and it would pull left. Eric our first driver said he didn't notice that. He finished his stint but just felt uneasy. I checked things at the 2nd pit stop (in 6th place) and things seemed fine. 3rd driver said he has no brakes and so we brought him in. No brake leaks. Tried bleeding the brakesÔĽŅ, sent him out and same thing. So we decided we would take it behind the wall. Found out we had bad pad kickback due to a horrendous right front wheel bearing. The guy in the 2nd stint did the majority of his stint with it bad.¬†

 

We fixed the wheel bearing (only had 17 hours on it, but Sebring and roval were very hard on it) and went out to finish the race. We ended 30th out of 74 with issues but proved we have good pace in the series. 

 

Thanks to all the staff, members, corner workers and volunteers. Thanks to everyone for giving their input in person at the track about our series too.

 

 

 

First stint

 

20190427_092539.jpg

FB_IMG_1556638898701.jpg

Check out 1:07:10 in the video... might explain the wheel bearing?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, a914freak said:

Car #189 We blew our upper rad hose off as well after 6hrs of racing after looking at the engine telemetry it looks like we had a slow and intermittent unchecked coolant leak. Turned out to be a blown head gasket.  So the hose blowing off was secondary..

Sure hope thats not the case.   Coolant temps were solid and car finished the race.  No coolant pressure tracking on this car unfortunately.  I would think the radiator cap would vent before a hose blew off?  

 

you can see where the hose blew off twice, lol

 

image.thumb.png.0e649885fb45d79f3a7a4ad1d258bc7d.png

Edited by Huggy
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Sure hope thats not the case.   Coolant temps were solid and car finished the race.  No coolant pressure tracking on this car unfortunately.  I would think the radiator cap would vent before a hose blew off?  

ÔĽŅ ¬†

you can see where the hose blew off twice, lol

ÔĽŅ ¬†

image.thumb.png.0e649885fb45d79f3a7a4ad1d258bc7d.png

 

It blew off twice? Sounds like you could be pushing engine combustion chamber gasses into the coolant.

61OogEXI8AL._SL1084_.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Race start w/Mike, yeah, there a couple of tight squeezes :blink:

Only the first 13 min, there are a couple notable contenders making a mistake (we crash later) attn @Philippe Cold rear tires....

 

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, enginerd said:

Check out 1:07:10 in the video... might explain the wheel bearing?

 

Could be a good theory......

It is interesting as well.  14 hours of abuse at Sebring and about 4 hours of abuse at Charlotte.  That is where the line down the passenger's side came from and the broken side light.

 

Thanks for watching and pointing it out Nate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

How long do the bearings last?

 

Ahhhh....

 

14 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

 

14 hours of abuse at Sebring and about 4 hours of abuse at Charlotte. 

 

ūü§£ūüėČ

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've never had one go bad, but I believe we replaced them every two years or so.  The rears take a fair amount of violence to get in/out.  Fronts are easy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

E30 question:

 

How long do the bearings last?

 

I usually replace the fronts after 30 hours and the rears after 50 hours.  I am planning on replacing the fronts before every race now and then the rears every two races.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

 

I usually replace the fronts after 30 hours and the rears after 50 hours.  I am planning on replacing the fronts before every race now and then the rears every two races.  

Sigh, Looks like we will be getting bearings from FCP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Team Infiniti said:

Sigh, Looks like we will be getting bearings from FCP.

 

When I was on 225s I would be able to get away with 50 and 70 hours front and rear.  Just depends on how you drive and what you have for wheels and tires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

 

Just depends on how you drive and what you have for wheels and tires.  

Hamfisted and big :ph34r:

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Just depends on how you drive and what you have for wheels and tires.  

 

And grease you choose. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

500$ hubs?  Where are you getting your hubs from?

 

You should be able to pick them up used for like $50.  Then just change bearings and press in racing studs.

 

I might have 1 or 2....

Some guy in WA that kept sending the wrong parts... clock ran out on used stuff, and decided we didn't want to experience another hub failure at speed, especially on the oval.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

E30 question:

 

How long do the bearings last?

I think we are over 75¬†hours on 3¬†corners¬†right now.¬†I replaced the¬†right front before road America because it was feeling a little¬†loose. That corner/wheel did take a ‚Äėrub‚Äô in a previous race.

After the contact at Road America, both fronts will be replaced but I’m not touching the rears. We have never had a bearing go bad in a race. Always FAG/SKF I think on the brands. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the worry about chicanery and high closing speeds and it seems most every issue was that the slowest part of the track, am I missing something?

 

 Yes, I am aware Rob and the Triumph lost their cars just prior to NASCAR three but those speeds (and gusty winds) are no different than Daytona.

 

Would love the opinion of Rob @wvumtnbkr

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

All the worry about chicanery and high closing speeds and it seems most every issue was that the slowest part of the track, am I missing something?

 

 Yes, I am aware Rob and the Triumph lost their cars just prior to NASCAR three but those speeds (and gusty winds) are no different than Daytona.

 

Would love the opinion of Rob @wvumtnbkr

Chicanes would have helped my comfort, but I think most or all of the accidents would have happened anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...