wesleyw

2019 Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL

On 4/29/2019 at 9:30 PM, Lethal Cliff said:

What was everyone's top speed?  We were high 120's to low 130's most laps.  I saw a 139 and 137 a couple of laps?  Either a data error or a good line and draft through Nascar 3-4?

313mph!   lol - total data error on that one, line trace looks like it went up to the press boxes and then back down to S/F....

Real numbers, it looks like on a few laps (likely great line trough Nascar 3/4 plus some good draft and going deep into turn 1), ~130-131 mph just past S/F.  

That was early in the race.

Near the end of the race, top speeds were down in the 120-122 range, and was generally happening entering 3/4, not at S/F.  I think the 1-3/8" toe-in the car picked up over the course of the race might have impacted our top speeds....  I've watched a lot of video, no tell-tale actions/incidents that could have bent something in one shot has been found, car/tires shows zero signs of contract.  Reference point between steering wheel and car looks to gradually change throughout the race.   Obviously have a sub-optimal part on the left front; that track was brutal and was certainly taking advantage of a weak spot.

59332314_10161819878145230_6570503920756

@Philippe

Difficult to see, even knowing what to look for, it took watching this video 5 times to find... @ 1:01 the 935  3 cars in front and to the right of us looses traction on the first lap.

I saw it... Difficult to see, difficult to understand, I guess cold tires!? And Clark is the one checking the air pressure before every race....

1 hour ago, mindspin311 said:

Speaking of touching things close to T1... sorry @Huggy

Car laughed that off like a champ

D0ED780F-53E7-4323-ABD0-83DC994C5577.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Philippe said:

air pressure

Have you noticed anything different with the dunlop III? First set for us @ Charlotte, we learned they like less pressure.

I touched the rubber in front of the tires in turn one.  I thought it was nothing at all but it did crinkle up the body work a little.  oops. :(

On wheel bearings on the Miata, it depends on where it runs.  At Road America I change the bearings after day one.  At Laguna one set should last the whole weekend easily, maybe a second race weekend as well.  I would never do more than two weekends without changing front bearings.  They are $30 each and someone could get hurt if they blow out.  

• Haha 1

I thought after running Daytona, Road America, and Charlotte back-to-back-to-back in 3 weeks that I would be tired and ready for a break. Nope........ I wish I was racing this weekend. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:45 AM, Racer28173 said:

Was that move “inexcusable”, or should it be described as “Ludicrous”?   Sorry.  Couldn’t resist that one.  

Hope the car that got pushed off was able to continue 

I was the grey BMW that got pushed off by the Ludicrous car. It totally flat spotted our tires to the cords, but we had to retire for unrelated engine issues a bit later on. I was just happy to keep it out of the wall at those speeds... I cleared the air with their team leader, and it sounds like their driver was inexperienced and was more focused on the cars behind him closing than the car he just passed and ran off track. They were a pretty fast car, and I figured it was easy for them to avoid me down low, but apparently not...Pretty scary stuff though, glad we were OK, and we'll hopefully see y'all at VIR 24hr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Huggy said:

Car laughed that off like a champ

D0ED780F-53E7-4323-ABD0-83DC994C5577.jpeg

The swap car is a handful right?  I was behind this car for a couple of laps or so and it looks like it moves just like STS swap.

3 minutes ago, a914freak said:

The swap car is a handful right?  I was behind this car for a couple of laps or so and it looks like it moves just like STS swap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jer said:

I touched the rubber in front of the tires in turn one.  I thought it was nothing at all but it did crinkle up the body work a little.  oops. :(

On wheel bearings on the Miata, it depends on where it runs.  At Road America I change the bearings after day one.  At Laguna one set should last the whole weekend easily, maybe a second race weekend as well.  I would never do more than two weekends without changing front bearings.  They are $30 each and someone could get hurt if they blow out.  

You forgot to sign it Jer....LOL  It was a good time having you race with us as alway. Once a Taxi driver always a Taxi driver!

20190427_175730.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Huggy said:

Sure hope thats not the case.   Coolant temps were solid and car finished the race.  No coolant pressure tracking on this car unfortunately.  I would think the radiator cap would vent before a hose blew off?  

you can see where the hose blew off twice, lol

image.thumb.png.0e649885fb45d79f3a7a4ad1d258bc7d.png

Well it's confirmed Dave did a compression check 50-100psi on all cylinders, filled and pressurized the cooling system and water filled the jugs. Bottom end is good no babbitt in the oil. Head is warped. 

12 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Race start w/Mike, yeah, there a couple of tight squeezes :blink:

Only the first 13 min, there are a couple notable contenders making a mistake (we crash later) attn @Philippe Cold rear tires....

Did you guys modify the valve body at all?

3 minutes ago, a914freak said:

Did you guys modify the valve body at all?

Raised line pressure,overrode a subsystem for reducing fluid volume under cruise,  drilled a few things for cooling and a quicker transition between 2/3. Oh, Amalie universal synthetic fluid.

It helps immensely having a retired master rebuilder  available to get it fresh, stock and tight. ( I mention stock because he is not a hotrod guy, strictly by the book)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Raised line pressure,overrode a subsystem for reducing fluid volume under cruise,  drilled a few things for cooling and a quicker transition between 2/3. Oh, Amalie universal synthetic fluid.

It helps immensely having a retired master rebuilder  available to get it fresh, stock and tight. ( I mention stock because he is not a hotrod guy, strictly by the book)

I think you got it down. Does your master rebuilder have the ability to bench test the valve body and look at line pressures?  It sounds like you have it dialed in for sure.  Im building a 3 speed 091 auto with and LSD and a modified manual valve body thats going to be mated to a J32 engine from an Acura TL Type S.  

FWIW in that 13 min video you looked in control of the field.  The car is certainly fast.

Edited by a914freak
  • Like 1

We got our car taken apart tonight.  Not as bad as we thought.  We are going to get it pulled back into shape.  Should be ready to rock and roll by VIR 24.

IMG_1202~photo.JPG

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Huggy said:

I really wanted to find "Let me out of the cahhhh Cole" but this will have to do 🤣

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

Speaking of touching things close to T1... sorry @Huggy

What exactly happened there - were you too focused on the mirror?  It didn’t seem like you ran out of grip, but videos can be hard to interpret. 

5 hours ago, a914freak said:

Jerry hit the wall in that exact same spot...lol

20190427_175730.jpg

Hit the wall?!  ...tis but a scratch.  :D

Edited by Jer

12 hours ago, a914freak said:

It was at Charlotte, especially in the heat of the day. Did not like trail braking at all.

Handles much better at VIR and RA. The rear of this car is light, so it moves around a little more than usual, but typically very consistent.

8 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

What exactly happened there - were you too focused on the mirror?  It didn’t seem like you ran out of grip, but videos can be hard to interpret. 

His laser vision was focused on the apex.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chip said:

The rear of this car is light, so it moves around a little more than usual, but typically very consistent.

You guys try disconnecting the rear sway?  Hate to see what that thing handles like in the wet 😲

Here's the fastest lap of the day. It was pretty good, except for this really slow Saab? Perhaps you guys have seen it? 😋😋

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wyatt said:

Here's the fastest lap of the day. It was pretty good, except for this really slow Saab? Perhaps you guys have seen it? 😋😋

Very nice! God I wish I could do the entire infield in 4th gear....Grrrrrr