Educated Discussion about Pit-Out wristband Checks

• Technical Advisory Committee

I hope to spark some educated discourse regarding the need for this task, and if there is a better way to execute it.

I can say that pit out was 100% in checking my wrist band ever single time I left pit out. 

It has always bothered me though - i have to pull my suit and glove back exposing bare skin to find the paper wrist cover, then quickly put it back (hopefully properly) while accelerating out of pit lane.

Maybe I am hyper sensitive about this?  Its not a problem if you get to pit out with 15+ sec, but sometimes you are in the pits for a stop-and-go and the timer is irrelevant.

Could we maybe put a decal on the drivers helmet?  Could that accomplish the same thing, but with less risk?

Regards

Chris

9 minutes ago, Huggy said:

I hope to spark some educated discourse regarding the need for this task, and if there is a better way to execute it.

I can say that pit out was 100% in checking my wrist band ever single time I left pit out. 

It has always bothered me though - i have to pull my suit and glove back exposing bare skin to find the paper wrist cover, then quickly put it back (hopefully properly) while accelerating out of pit lane.

Maybe I am hyper sensitive about this?  Its not a problem if you get to pit out with 15+ sec, but sometimes you are in the pits for a stop-and-go and the timer is irrelevant.

Could we maybe put a decal on the drivers helmet?  Could that accomplish the same thing, but with less risk?

Regards

Chris

Just to be devil advocate, Helmets can be swapped. 

AER does not check but they have their own Driver ID with RFID.

Im not sure exactly what the issue is with champ as anyone can be a driver on track so Not sure why they have to check bands in the first place. 

Edited by the5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Maybe I am hyper sensitive about this? 

Maybe, but.......

If you were going to do this, it would be better to have a 2D barcode on your helmet that they scan that could then update race monitor (RIP) with the drivers name.

No-one checks who the wrist band gets put on.  Not sure if that is just my experience, or everyone's? 

I just go to registration, get my allotted number of drivers bands, and then pass them out to my drivers.

Helmet stickers would be no different really, as far as a "level of assurance" the driver is who they say they are.

PS no one wants to wear my smelly worn out helmet, which still has 5 years of use left in it...

There really is no simple solution to driver bands since there could be hundreds of drivers at each event. You can pull your glove back down while the official is checking your belts, window net, helmet sticker, arm restraints, etc.......

We are all stupid drivers at some point and forget some of that stuff at some point or another. Be mindful they are there to make sure you are safe getting on track. Multiple times they find any and all that stuff not how it should be.

With the way window nets are and how cumbersome it would be to get a bar code reader back to where a sticker would be, I think wrist bands are the quicker alternative. What happens when the reader fails and you are the lucky car to be stuck at pit road exit not allowed on track because technology failed? Sometimes archaic is the best technology......

1 minute ago, jakks said:

There really is no simple solution to driver bands since there could be hundreds of drivers at each event. You can pull your glove back down while the official is checking your belts, window net, helmet sticker, arm restraints, etc.......

We are all stupid drivers at some point and forget some of that stuff at some point or another. Be mindful they are there to make sure you are safe getting on track. Multiple times they find any and all that stuff not how it should be.

With the way window nets are and how cumbersome it would be to get a bar code reader back to where a sticker would be, I think wrist bands are the quicker alternative. What happens when the reader fails and you are the lucky car to be stuck at pit road exit not allowed on track because technology failed? Sometimes archaic is the best technology......

Why not just put a small sticker on each drivers helmet?  One of those little dots could even suffice - have to have the correct color dot to go on track?   Or they could get fancy and print a small exclusive sticker for each event with some code on it - doesnt have to be bar-codeable - just sufficient for the pit out worker to see that someone paid an entry fee for that driver for that race?

What exactly is champ looking for the wrist bands for anyways?  I have never understood that part.

I do understand the belt/windownet/arm restraints check - no argument there - its done to every team so its an equal delay (in theory) for everyone.

3 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Why not just put a small sticker on each drivers helmet?  One of those little dots could even suffice - have to have the correct color dot to go on track?   Or they could get fancy and print a small exclusive sticker for each event with some code on it - doesnt have to be bar-codeable - just sufficient for the pit out worker to see that someone paid an entry fee for that driver for that race?

What exactly is champ looking for the wrist bands for anyways?  I have never understood that part.

I do understand the belt/windownet/arm restraints check - no argument there - its done to every team so its an equal delay (in theory) for everyone.

I like the idea of the dot, but after working quite a few events and hearing Jackie's comments after each event, cluttering up the helmet anymore with sticker collections may make it hard. She was the driving force of having all gear check staff put them on the front part of the chin of helmets. It was costing too much time at pit out and staff was having to pull drivers helmets forward to see some of the tech stickers.

This is an idea. CC doesn't say the band has to be inside your glove. I wonder if you could make it loose enough that it doesn't slip off and be able to slide your glove over the band?

9 minutes ago, jakks said:

This is an idea. CC doesn't say the band has to be inside your glove. I wonder if you could make it loose enough that it doesn't slip off and be able to slide your glove over the band?

Gotta put the band on pretty tight to keep it from getting messed up/torn off.

The new bands they have this year with CC printed on them aren't as durable as the older checkerboarded ones, so this is even more important when wanting it to last ~60 hours potentially.

3 hours ago, Huggy said:

Regards

Chris

I have never had an issue, I don't make it stupid tight it is over the glove/wrist band. No need to move anything. 

As a car approaches pit-out, I hold up my hand and make the sleeve pulling motion. Once they are stopped they can fix their clothing, and I check the helmet, neck device, seat belts, window net, and door. 

Elasticized wristbands would be helpful, but then those could be shared. The point of the wristbands is no free drivers on track. 

Looks like there are a number of solutions. I always have to cut mine off, so @Huggy, what the heck are you doing getting yours all tore up? 

• Like 1

I'm playing devils advocate here a bit, so please take this lightly

4 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

The point of the wristbands is no free drivers on track. 

Champcar doesn't charge per driver anymore (or ever?  I dont recall) - You can add as many drivers to your pool as you desire.

4 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

@Huggy, what the heck are you doing getting yours all tore up? 

Working!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Huggy said:

I'm playing devils advocate here a bit, so please take this lightly

Champcar doesn't charge per driver anymore (or ever?  I dont recall) - You can add as many drivers to your pool as you desire.

Perhaps 'authorized' might be a better word? Liability? 

As for 'working', yeah I don't do that.....

• Members

We give out a specified number of driver's bands to each team.  That way we know each team has registered their drivers, are in our system for the event, and have covered ourselves liability-wise by not allowing a non-registered driver on track.

The idea of the helmet sticker sounds great.  But... you guys sent 4 cars to pit-out this weekend that didn't even have their annual gear tech stickers applied.  Those cars went back to the paddock and lost laps while doing driver changes and gear checks.  Huggy, you're a front running car.  Just plan the extra 5 seconds at pit-out to adjust your gloves if you need to.  I KNOW you've got everything else in that pit stall planned out and if you're going to lose a race its not going to be over 5 seconds in the pits, it's going to be over something you can't plan for (steering wheel comes to mind).  You're too good a team manager to let that armband affect your race.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, riche30 said:

The idea of the helmet sticker sounds great.  But... you guys sent 4 cars to pit-out this weekend that didn't even have their annual gear tech stickers applied.  Those cars went back to the paddock and lost laps while doing driver changes and gear checks. 

One of those was our fault. One of our drivers who had his gear checked annually earlier this year and ran with us at Daytona had a different series apparently remove all other helmet stickers other than theirs last weekend. He was embarrassed about not noticing, but we were all very happy to see how diligent Champcar is about checking.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, red0 said:

One of those was our fault. One of our drivers who had his gear checked annually earlier this year and ran with us at Daytona had a different series apparently remove all other helmet stickers other than theirs last weekend. He was embarrassed about not noticing, but we were all very happy to see how diligent Champcar is about checking.  

wow. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Annoying but knowing everyone is subject to the same, its moot.

I do like the pit out volunteer showing wrist as the car approaches, perhaps the solution is simply in procedure?

Thanks!  I know all day long as cars approached I tried to show and point at my personal wristband as every car approached.  What frightens me is this... do you have ANY clue how many driver's aren't looking at the volunteers as they approach pit out?  Our folks work really hard to get you guys in and out of that box and simple instructions that cost you guys second on track go missed every time.

1.  Drive TO the volunteer, don't stop 20ft short
2.  If there's a car already stopped and a second volunteer is working, make eye contact.  They may move you left or right to check your timer.

3.  We check nets, belts, helmet stickers, wrist bands.  Be ready for all that.  If I push your head, I'm just trying to find your helmet sticker.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Huggy said:

Regards

Chris

I think you are hyper sensitive about this, take a deep breath.  There is zero risk   Geeez  how long does it take to pull your glove up?  You know it's coming as you leave your pit stall be prepared.

• Like 4