Huggy

Educated Discussion about Pit-Out wristband Checks

I am also curious why champcar checks this.

Any champcar member Could get on the track.

Is it really realistic that a team is gonna send a car out with a non champcar member in it?  Even so, that team could just give the non champcar member the bracelet anyway and they could go on track.

I don't think it's a big deal, but there are sooo many ways to "defeat" it and not much benefit that it seems a bit silly.

He'll, I have spare wristbands in my car folder somehow...

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with it.  It is mildly annoying to roll my glove up and then try to roll it down as I'm exiting the pit.  It does seem pointless. 

Maybe we could come up with a secret handshake and a pit out verification phrase.

PitOut Marshall: "MR2's are cheaty."

Response: "But they break a lot so it's ok."

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Come to think of it, in all my years of racing SCCA, no one ever confirmed my identity on the grid.  I took my photo ID off as I donned my fire suit. I could have had the Stig, or Michael Schumacher win a national championship for me. (I wonder what that would have cost? :) )   I think it's like TSA at the airport.  The perception of security makes everyone feel better and might even discourage a terrorist or two. The perception of security that the armband system gives, might keep the insurance guys happy. The system seems tedious, but I can't think of anything better.

• Thanks 1

Security for what though?

So somebody who has no experience isn't let on track?  Oh wait...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I am also curious why champcar checks this.

Any champcar member Could get on the track.

Is it really realistic that a team is gonna send a car out with a non champcar member in it?  Even so, that team could just give the non champcar member the bracelet anyway and they could go on track.

I don't think it's a big deal, but there are sooo many ways to "defeat" it and not much benefit that it seems a bit silly.

He'll, I have spare wristbands in my car folder somehow...

It may be that our insurance provider requires the band. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Security for what though?

:)  It's not even like we charge by the driver like other leagues do. You're right, membership and being on the entry form are the only thing we are securing. 

You have to be a member to even step into pit lane, let alone get in the car no?

Edited by tommytipover

42 minutes ago, red0 said:

It may be that our insurance provider requires the band. 

Cool.  I get that.  Again, it doesn't really bother me.

I would think the arm bands are more of a KISS method for who is a driver and who isn't, similar to the way it's done at most HPDE's.  Someone already said it, insurance requirement most likely.  I see this as the smallest of smallest deals....until im trying to sleep at night and the arm band makes sounds and keeps me awake....then I freaking hate it.  My 5 year old loves them though, has a nice collection going.

Edited by Jab31169

On 4/29/2019 at 4:17 PM, Snake said:

Never had an issue.   I'm prepared when I get to pit out to show my band.   

Have always been ready as I pull up with the band exposed. This is a non issue in my opinion.

• Like 1