wvumtnbkr

What can you tell me about sc300?

What are the weak points, etc...

A 500 point competitive car intrigues me...

Anybody know where I can find one?

Are parts hard to find?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob R

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Fragile compared to a t5?  

Something w/ the cluster gear.

I have to step aside now and let those with direct knowledge speak.

I have no experience racing an SC300, but I just built an E46 and looked pretty hard at an SC300 first.  It just seemed that parts were somewhat scarce, whereas junkyards are filling up every day with E46s.  Ultimately parts availability swayed my decision.  

• Like 1

I haven't broken a  transmission yet.  Engines and transmissions are getting much harder to find at what I consider a reasonable price.  Rod bolt let go on one motor and a tuning error (mine), most likely killed our 2nd motor in as many races.

Edited by Hurljohn

We ran a Mk3 Supra last year, and are now working on a new build partially due to parts availability/reliability. While I can't speak directly of the SC300, it is closely related, and @zack_280 hit the nail on the head.

Finding stock parts for our car is hard. There is no "drive to a junkyard an hour away" or "run to the parts store" mid-race for things we need outside of fluids. We're having a hard time finding basics like new control arms (they have built in ball joints, used ones pop up from time to time, but already have 80k+ miles on them), and we kept munching wheel bearings this past season. Lots of aftermarket stuff with fancy heim joints and stuff, but stock parts, not so much. 

From what I've seen of the MK3 platform, the only efficient way to get spares and run a race is to buy whole cars cheap and strip them, to have spares of everything that can't be replaced with an off the shelf from a different car.

I hope the SC300 isn't nearly as bad, or that maybe we're just really bad at finding parts, but this is what we've found so far :(

• Like 1

I think the sc300 uses the W58 transmission which I also run behind the 1UZ in the Supra. Haven't had any issues yet (apparently they don't do well with extra power though) and I have 2 spares that I picked up for basically free so I wouldn't let the trans stop you. 

17 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

I think the sc300 uses the W58 transmission which I also run behind the 1UZ in the Supra. Haven't had any issues yet (apparently they don't do well with extra power though) and I have 2 spares that I picked up for basically free so I wouldn't let the trans stop you. 

but I assume you don't use the JZ->W58 bellhousing, that's the hard to find part ($$$)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

but I assume you don't use the JZ->W58 bellhousing, that's the hard to find part ($$$)

Ah good point, I even have a hard time finding the 1UZ bell housing....

Rob to the best of my research there were only 3800 manual sc300 brought to this country ever. 

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/633028-sc300-how-many-manuals-made-oh-factory-phone-too.html

If someone wanted to throw a "didn't pick your car" back at you, i am not sure the other toyota\lexus 5 speed or diffs came with the exact ratios of the sc300 manual...the diff rule for a chassis has fixed this but as i remember the manual is the lower ratio (assumed more desirable). Trans replacements with the 100% correct ratios, case, mid plate, shifter combo could be challenging if the supra parts are different. 

You might be better off in your finances if you built 2 rx7s...   

Edited by Black Magic

16 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Congrats on your new car.

It was sold and stayed here in Fl.   Didn't want him to think it was available.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Saab ? 

Not many car manufactures are willing to spend the time and money to properly test moose impacts. 

image.jpeg.cb87e28a7f723cc15370d4d41eab8da8.jpeg

saab_moose.png.b13ac7c2293431dbb8d3756f3f0ecda5.png

There is even a chapter explaining how to slalom a moose on an icey road in my owners manual.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

^^ see.  Perfect for when some wackado thinks 3 wise is a good idea.  

This is my view of the situation...