Strut Tower Brace: Attach to actual tower or bolts?

Alex3000

Just wondering anyone's experience / thoughts on strut tower braces and where they attach.

I will be fabbing up a custom brace that will triangulate from the strut towers to the fire wall.  I've seen them done many different ways but the main question I have is: How much does it matter if it attaches to the walls of the strut towers in the engine bay vs. having a large bracket that bolts onto the top of the strut tower using the strut mount bolts?

My thoughts are that I can imagine using the strut mount bolts would more directly transfer the suspension forces to the brace making it more effective, but if the goal is to reduce chassis flex I would think bracing the actual strut towers would do the same job, and be much easier to put together.

Thoughts? I may be overthinking things as usual...

OK let me ask another question too: Using heim joint rod ends for the brace?  I have read online that it "defeats the purpose" because that allows articulation and so doesn't work as a brace... seems like there is some logic but also a lot of the off the shelf braces use them so not sure what to think.

9 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

OK let me ask another question too: Using heim joint rod ends for the brace?  I have read online that it "defeats the purpose" because that allows articulation and so doesn't work as a brace... seems like there is some logic but also a lot of the off the shelf braces use them so not sure what to think.

Imagine two boxes, one standard and one with hinges on each corner... one serves the purpose and the other is useless.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 2:46 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Always wondered why someone would put joints in a piece like that, perhaps it just looks cool I.E.fast and furious mentality 

I think the original purpose of the heim joint was for ease of adjustment/preload from chassis to chassis, ie slight differences in fabrication in circle track applications. 

As Paul mentioned, now you have a fixed distance, ie the top of the struts/shock tower could only rotate/twist. Depending on OEM construction and how the cage is fab'd (does it tie in to the back of the tower?) then the twist might also be handled. Even with a bolt-in strut bar, depending on the design, I'd say twist could still happen. I don't see a singular tube spanning the engine bay most likely with a slight bend to avoid engine components eliminating "twist".

Where's the FEA guys?

edit: I see OP mentioned triangulating with the firewall, that is a step to reduce twist, but how stout is the firewall? Is it backed up by a bar/mount off of the dash bar or just bolted to sheet metal?

Edited by pintodave

On 5/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, pintodave said:

I think the original purpose of the heim joint was for ease of adjustment/preload from chassis to chassis, ie slight differences in fabrication in circle track applications. 

As Paul mentioned, now you have a fixed distance, ie the top of the struts/shock tower could only rotate/twist. Depending on OEM construction and how the cage is fab'd (does it tie in to the back of the tower?) then the twist might also be handled. Even with a bolt-in strut bar, depending on the design, I'd say twist could still happen. I don't see a singular tube spanning the engine bay most likely with a slight bend to avoid engine components eliminating "twist".

Where's the FEA guys?

edit: I see OP mentioned triangulating with the firewall, that is a step to reduce twist, but how stout is the firewall? Is it backed up by a bar/mount off of the dash bar or just bolted to sheet metal?

So I have a dash bar but it's not attached to the firewall.  Obviously, connecting everything with the cage would be the best, but I am having to scale back on the scope of the lesser project items to get this thing done.  

On 5/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Can't adjust camber and caster with slotted mounts if you attach it to the bolts...

Pretty important for an rx7...

Truth.  But I finally broke down and put in real honest to goodness camber plates.  

• Like 1

Consider adding anti-intrusion bars from the base of the front cage legs to the top of the tower, then triangulate back to where the door bar mounts.

It should help to resist movement of the tower under normal use, and it will prevent the tower/suspension/wheel from pushing into the foot well area.