Best outta the box car

wvumtnbkr

I might build another car.

The appeal of a competitive car right outta the box with minimal points to use is strong.

What do y'all think is a good competitive car to build without swapping and being close to 500 pts?

Thanks!

Rob R.

Rob for the time being you need to shop for cars with good fuel to weight, if you are gonna run midwest and 24 hr races. Without as many yellow flags, fuel capacity would be a concern and you have no legal means to fix it with a low fuel capacity car. 

M50 swap e30 isn't bad, e36 and e46

928 and a trailer full of money, parts, and mechanics.

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 2

Its almost got to be an E46.

Be careful with the grass is greener syndrome!  We built a Nissan Maxima for the exact same reason as you say.  Always wish we still had a 626 again!  On that note, 2003+ Nissan Altima with a V6?  250 hp, 20 gallons....  But if I was doing it again, I think id be looking for something as light weight as possible.

12 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not quite sold on the boxter yet, what merits all the hoopla? 

Fuel capacity? 

Finishing position? 

Lap times? 

Weight ? 

Mid drive?

Because it starts with a P? 

It’s all racey looking and stuff.  What more do you need to know.   And most all the stuff you listed is good too.   

The P charge for spares and repairs will keep us po folk out of them but I think they can be made to go pretty good.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Have any podium-d in Champ Car?

Going to have to wait until  racing against one of Round Three cars to see what they’re capable of, as of yet,  still convinced we’ve got a better Mouse trap. 

Round 3 did well at Road America.    Not Mr2 well but respectable nonetheless.  Ludicrous just sort has a good thing going there.  

22 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Have any podium-d in Champ Car?

Going to have to wait until  racing against one of Round Three cars to see what they’re capable of, as of yet,  still convinced we’ve got a better Mouse trap. 

They have to stop hitting stuff out east....

No idea what there 4 wheels pointing straight potential is.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

E46 won the championship, right?

They only have a 16.6 gallon tank.  Do e46 cars need to conserve fuel?

Apples/oranges comparison, but the 2 SpecE46s that I worked with for the 13hr at VIR were getting 1:15-1:35 on the stock tank.  325i with 19.1 gallons should be able to get pretty close to running 2 hours.  

18 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

The Boxster is terrible.  Don't buy one.

Are you able to compete with the boxster without taking penalty laps for 'reliability' modifications?  This is part of the reason I shied away from it, but it did look pretty appealing.

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Round 3 did well at Road America.    Not Mr2 well but respectable nonetheless.  Ludicrous just sort has a good thing going there.  

Luda won, we finished 2nd, and R3R 3rd. On track I could not keep up with the Boxster it was a few second faster than our bummer. The MR2 looked even better than the Boxster though, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

Boxsters are nice as long as you never touch anything with either front fenders.  The radiators will break with the slightest bump.  There is a reason why I don’t run one. 

944S or 944 with 3l swap, verdict is still out on my 928S. 

2 minutes ago, scottyk said:

Mr2 all the way, start with next to zero points add everything aero you can think, custom coil overs, sway bars, HUGE brakes and motor/trans swap. It’s possibilities are endless!

And it will never see a value increase, in fact it's probably about time to see it lose another 50 pts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

The 1997-99 Porsche Boxster is pretty good.  It is not going to win many drag races with the fast cars and it will not run with cars like Ludicrous Speed or PartsBadger through the corners, but it handles fairly well and if you set it up properly, it is a very predictable car.  They are really fun to drive and we think that they fit into ChampCar VERY nicely.  We will continue to compete for podiums, if we can have mistake-free races and stay consistent.

The car is actually quite cheap to buy and the replacement parts are cheap too.  The 986 Gen-1 Boxster is not your typical Porsche.  It is NOT a high end car.  It was Porsche's way of not going out of business by partnering with VW and Audi (VAG).  It uses a lot of cheap VW and Audi parts.  As long as you know the shortcuts to sourcing parts, it is not an expensive car to own or fix.

The car has some flaws that need to be addressed.  It needs a power steering modification.  We went with electro-hydraulic power steering, as it costs fewer points than pulleys and coolers and it is more reliable.  It also needs a modification for rear toe adjustment.  You need to set these cars up with quite a bit or rear toe-in.  Otherwise, you'll end up like the black Boxster at Road Atlanta.  Setup on the Boxster is very important.  We made those two modifications, plus a little bit of plastic and aluminum to top out at 498 points.

If you're at WGI, come by and check out our cars.  We call them "Baby Cup Cars".  They are super clean builds with a lot of attention to detail.

As for performance, we had no problem going 2 hours on fuel at Road Atlanta.  At Road America, we had a couple pros who were trying to set the track record for ChampCar Boxster and burned through a tank of gas in 90 minutes.  That happened 3 times on Saturday!  In terms of lap times, we were like 30th fastest at Road Atlanta and top 10 at Road America, but that was with Pro drivers in the car.  Our normal, human drivers were about 7-10 seconds off of Ludicrous Speed.

I'll post a video of NASCAR driver and Road America hometown boy, Josh Bilicki, in our silver car on Saturday.  He was incredibly fast.  Our other pro went back-to-back wins in PWC TC last weekend at VIR...Johan Schwartz.  He and Josh were trying to one-up each other and they put on a hell of a show.

There isn't anything to do to the engine for more power.  So, if we had points to play with, we'd be looking at Aero, handling, and reliability.

• Like 5