NA or NB miata for ecotec swap

19 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

I ran the 6spd in an NA and we were faster in the 5spd just due to miss-shifts.

Ive had similar experience in my old Mazdaspeed Miata.  I had to be very careful not to money-shift the thing, it always felt too closely spaced. I love the feel of the 5spd, but with more power it tends to break.

• Like 1

6 speeds are more robust than the 5's?  First I've heard of that.  Talking to a sprint race guy he commented he only ran the 6 speed in cars that were allowed to run trans-oil coolers and you expected to have the motor out frequently so doing transmission work wasn't such a big deal (we're talking motor work 6 times in a 10 sprint race season).

Diff in the NA6 is never going to cut it.  NA8 is OK (but may still say uncle at some point).

Considering the hacking and chopping you can do I don't think the weight difference is going to matter at all.

Sport model NB had bigger brakes, but they are as good as free anyway.

I think the r earend in the na6 is the same as the 2nd gen non turbo rx7.  Ours has survived just fine behind a gm3400 v6.  All original from 1987 never rebuilt including axles.

4 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I think the r earend in the na6 is the same as the 2nd gen non turbo rx7.  Ours has survived just fine behind a gm3400 v6.  All original from 1987 never rebuilt including axles.

That would have to be from an NA8 as the NA6 is smaller and won't last long at all in our racing.

From RX-7 Club Forums " I think he is buying a 1.6L Miata and simply wants to know if he can upgrade it with an RX-7 LSD; not put a Miata diff in an RX-7. Unfortunately, that is not possible because all the 1st and 2nd gen RX-7 stuff is incompatible with the early Miata stuff. In other words, he is SOL unless he upgrades to 1.8L Miata rear end components or finds another LSD donor"

NA6 uses a 6" gear set and they do not like to last more than ~7hrs when pushed hard.  That said, we have a plethora of scraps ones if anyone would like to own them.  Most come with their own custom vent and weight reduction mods already in place ie: holes blown through them from failing!