Bill Strong

2019 Official VIR 24-Hour Classic

We weren't looking to win either, we just couldn't afford to pay back the renters if they couldn't drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, JBailey said:

Yea we are outta Asheboro, NC about an hour south of VIR. I will check out NCCAR, I was going to to an Auto-x there last year and ended up not doing it. Will talk it over with my team and go from there. 

CMP does a test day twice a month on Fridays. Would be closer than NCCAR I would think. <$300 usually.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:25 AM, bendawson3 said:

if your team is from the VIR region, there's a chassis proving ground out near Rocky Mt NC called NCCAR. Events there are usually a lot cheaper than ones at VIR. It's not a real race circuit but it's got a good representation of the kinds of turns we see and a long straightaway. Good place to shake a car down on the cheap. You can call Sam True out there and see what they have coming up before the 24. (cheapest way to knock out testing at track days for your race cars is to be an instructor. Usually costs $0 to get on track if you're instructing.)

NCCAR  is in Roanoke Rapids NC not Rocky Mount , its about 1mi off 95 just south of the Va line ..  

2 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

NCCAR  is in Roanoke Rapids NC not Rocky Mount , its about 1mi off 95 just south of the Va line ..  

i said near. get off my sack!

imagine green font if that chafes 

• Haha 1

What you calling near Willis ??

6 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

i said near. get off my sack!

imagine green font if that chafes 

over 45 miles , not to far off by forum standards I guess ..

Edited by Ray Franck
  • Haha 4

VIR will be holding an "open test day" on friday the 9th this year.   It will not be like previous years (which were club only)  - instead, it will be open to everyone.  

The registration and details will show up on this page soon

http://virnow.com/track/open-test-days/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I've heard from a fairly reliable source that there will be at least one more entry in B class.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, Bill Strong said:

The overall winner that is NOT EC Class, gets a trophy and the coveted VIR24 winners watch.

How many watches are there? Should we expect one for each of our drivers?

Hey friends! Racebar will be there hosting our Friday night party as usual. We plan to have a keg, music, and of course copious amounts of slow smoked pork shoulder. We are hoping to get some people out for a nice casual meet and greet before the race. It would be a lot of fun to turn this into a bit of a potluck. We are looking for volunteers to bring a few sides or appetizers. Anything that goes well with a bbq is welcome.  Please reply to this post with what you intend to bring, and I'll compile a list. As it gets a little closer I'll start narrowing down the specifics. I think for now we can plan on about 5 pm for the food to start coming off. 

Here are a few pictures of the party scene at NJMP a few weekends ago that we had the privilege to be a part of. I know this isn't lemons, but I think the food piece is a great way of bringing our community together before we duke it out on the track.

62347730_10216572872145759_4558795982963212288_o (1).jpg

62476704_10216572867025631_3709453134888697856_o (1).jpg

Edited by Jim
pics
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, Tim_ said:

How many watches are there? Should we expect one for each of our drivers?

I would expect none for each of your drivers, Tim. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, ross2004 said:

I would expect none for each of your drivers, Tim. 

You know I have won a watch for racing before. More than once! True story.

Did it not fit, and you took it to an authorized dealer to get fitted? and the dealer said it was fake? and you said it can't be because the president of the company gave it to you? But the dealer still said it was fake?

True story

On 6/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, Bill Strong said:

Did it not fit, and you took it to an authorized dealer to get fitted? and the dealer said it was fake? and you said it can't be because the president of the company gave it to you? But the dealer still said it was fake?

True story

Nah. Years and years ago, before Al Gore invented the internet, Marlboro ran a promo around the country giving away trips to racing school. Each city they visited, they'd stay for 4 days and hold the event at a different bar each night. They had simulators set up running Nazarath Speedway - the trip to racing school was a random drawing, but the driver with the fastest lap each night won a watch. I got the a new watch each night for 3 nights, and the 4th night I got a little cocky and tried a different line. Nice watches too - not Rolexes - but they were $500 or so Hamilton brand watches - with no Marlboro branding on them.

Edited by Tim_
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, Jamie said:

So i was surprised by my wife with the best birthday gift ever. She got me a seat with @Hi_Im_Will in GWR's E30.

Make sure you look me up. I don't believe we have ever met in person....

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, Doc said:

Make sure you look me up. I don't believe we have ever met in person....

Thats true! Will you be working or racing? I typically hang out in timing in scoring on the west coast races but I don't think that will happen as much during this one.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, Jamie said:

So i was surprised by my wife with the best birthday gift ever. She got me a seat with @Hi_Im_Will in GWR's E30.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! .......................................She's a keeper!

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

Thats true! Will you be working or racing? I typically hang out in timing in scoring on the west coast races but I don't think that will happen as much during this one.

I will be in the booth for the most part. Not driving because I wanna give my team the best shot at finishing well....We have laminates to get into the tower. No admittance otherwise.

When do you get in?

On 7/1/2019 at 5:38 PM, Doc said:

We have laminates to get into the tower. No admittance otherwise.

^the best way to get me to go somewhere I shouldn't 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:38 PM, Doc said:

When do you get in?

Not as early as I would like. I fly in Raleigh August 9th at 6:02PM, considering moving the flight to Thursday but fear my wife might kill me

On 7/3/2019 at 2:32 PM, Jamie said:

^the best way to get me to go somewhere I shouldn't 

Forgot which topic I was on. The booth at the VIR24 will be wide open and we LOVE guests!!! My mind has been on Indy....

On 6/23/2019 at 9:57 PM, Jim said:

Hey friends! Racebar will be there hosting our Friday night party as usual. We plan to have a keg, music, and of course copious amounts of slow smoked pork shoulder. We are hoping to get some people out for a nice casual meet and greet before the race. It would be a lot of fun to turn this into a bit of a potluck. We are looking for volunteers to bring a few sides or appetizers. Anything that goes well with a bbq is welcome.  Please reply to this post with what you intend to bring, and I'll compile a list. As it gets a little closer I'll start narrowing down the specifics. I think for now we can plan on about 5 pm for the food to start coming off. 

Here are a few pictures of the party scene at NJMP a few weekends ago that we had the privilege to be a part of. I know this isn't lemons, but I think the food piece is a great way of bringing our community together before we duke it out on the track.

62347730_10216572872145759_4558795982963212288_o (1).jpg

62476704_10216572867025631_3709453134888697856_o (1).jpg

At a minimum, the workers will bring some potato salad.

We have already donated a tire gauge. 😂🤣

Has anyone ever had success in negotiating with VIR security to be able to walk the track on the Friday night before the race weekend? I feel it would be useful for us as a team, especially after the test day this year, to go over specific points to note communally. Not sure this is something the track would be amenable to though, and obviously don't want to damage any relationships.