wvumtnbkr

What size wheel and tire for e46?

Anybody?

My plan is to be at the pointy end of the field again.  What are the ideal sizes for tires and wheels.

Assuming I need a 17 to clear 330 brakes.

I always thought the optimum (affordable) track car was an E46 M3 on 275's.  But you don't have S54 power so 255's is probably your best size, maybe stretch them a bit if you can find the wheel to do it.

We run 17x9 wheels and 245/40 tires on ours. 

BimmerWorld TE/AL forged because we were breaking too many cheap ones. It’s been cheaper over a season and a half to run the good stuff. 

Edited by JCrist
  • Like 1

I've got 255s on a 17x9.5" Apex ARC-8 wheel, but I've got MCS 1-way coil overs, so you might not be able to run the 255s.  I ran 245s on a 9 with no issue before the coil overs.  Tire racks TR Motorsports has an affordable 9" wheel for an E36 M3 that fits.  I have no experience with racing or hitting things using that wheel, but I drive flat out when I track day and it survived that.  

9 hours ago, zack_280 said:

I've got 255s on a 17x9.5" Apex ARC-8 wheel, but I've got MCS 1-way coil overs, so you might not be able to run the 255s.  I ran 245s on a 9 with no issue before the coil overs.  Tire racks TR Motorsports has an affordable 9" wheel for an E36 M3 that fits.  I have no experience with racing or hitting things using that wheel, but I drive flat out when I track day and it survived that.  

Let me know if you have any interest on selling those 9" wheels. I have an e36 m3 if they fit. 

16 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Let me know if you have any interest on selling those 9" wheels. I have an e36 m3 if they fit. 

I'm keeping them.  They are backup wheels for the E46 and track day wheels for my E36 M3.  You can still get them for $160 - $200 per wheel depending on your style preference.

Not sure if this link will work, but here you go.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=M3&autoYear=1995&autoModClar=

On 5/10/2019 at 5:20 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Anybody?

My plan is to be at the pointy end of the field again.  What are the ideal sizes for tires and wheels.

Assuming I need a 17 to clear 330 brakes.

When Chris and I specced out an e46 build, we decided that the answer was 323i brakes and 15x10 steelies with 245/40R15 Rival S 1.5.  Cheap, and the tiny diameter gets the ride height where it needs to be without over compressing the suspension.  As a bonus it helps out on effective final drive. 

We also decided that it needed big aero, because lower top speed and never slowing down makes the 323i brakes survive.  And then it needs to be an auto trans 330 to have points for aero and not be slow.  Preferably an early coupe with the ZF trans, because the gear ratios in the GM trans are terrible, and coupe for weight.  And finally control the whole thing with megasquirt, and use a microsquirt to control the tranny.  You need the combo to be able to get manual shifting and auto-blip on the downshifts.  There's some other trick with the auto to make it survive too, and not just demolish clutches when it burps fluid.....

So yeah, 245/40r15 Rivals on 15x10 Bassetts, but there are some supporting mods.

Edited by Hi_Im_Will
E46, not 36
  • Like 3

On 6/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, JCrist said:

We run 17x9 wheels and 245/40 tires on ours. 

BimmerWorld TE/AL forged because we were breaking too many cheap ones. It’s been cheaper over a season and a half to run the good stuff. 

#deepockets!  Lol

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, Hurljohn said:

#deepockets!  Lol

Can’t afford not to run them. Buying 3 Kosei’s to 1 forged is too rich for our blood, plus throwing away the entry fee from failure. 

On 6/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, Hurljohn said:

#deepockets!  Lol

Don’t forget, Tuttle spends more than anyone in the series.. 😂😂😂😂😂 #wgi #facebookpost

On 6/10/2019 at 4:09 AM, zack_280 said:

I run the TR on my street car, good solid wheels for a great price. 

we run the tirerack C2 17x8.5 on our car.   they are cheap enough at under 200 each and take a pretty good beating.  we run either 235 or 245 without aero (for now)  more tire won't really help us until we have aero or more power I suspect.

@Hi_Im_Will that's both awesome and terrifying with your E46 plans.   

Edited by theblue

On 6/14/2019 at 11:28 AM, Hurljohn said:

#deepockets!  Lol

I agree 100%.  I can't see how a $400 wheel fits the 2X rule.  I'm sure the stock wheels are durable enough.  Maybe E46's should run them if the affordable aftermarket stuff breaks too easily.

Edited by Grufton
typo

1 hour ago, Grufton said:

I agree 100%.  I can't see how a $400 wheel fits the 2X rule. 

You could probably find a new OEM E46 wheel for $200 or more in case you wanted to spend that much on wheels.  Not saying that I would do it, but I'm just saying.

1 hour ago, Grufton said:

I agree 100%.  I can't see how a $400 wheel fits the 2X rule.  I'm sure the stock wheels are durable enough.  Maybe E46's should run them if the affordable aftermarket stuff breaks too easily.

OEM replacements are nearly the same price. Wheels are a safety item and cheap wheels smash cars and people. The oem purchase data is easily obtained online. Please research before insinuating someone is not operating within the rules.   

3 hours ago, JCrist said:

OEM replacements are nearly the same price. Wheels are a safety item and cheap wheels smash cars and people. The oem purchase data is easily obtained online. Please research before insinuating someone is not operating within the rules.   

You are correct, I find the style 68 (17x8.5) for $224.99 at autorimshop, so $400 wheels do seem to fit the 2X rule.  I do think that price is well beyond the spirit of chump however.  Those wheels are more durable yes, but they're also expensive since they're substantially lighter than other (more affordable) offerings.

Edited by Grufton
"seem to" and "is"

12 hours ago, Grufton said:

If $400 wheels is where chump/champ is headed, count me out now.

Calm down, Grufton. Way more money is being spent in way more places.

$400 wheels should be the least of your concerns.

• Like 4

Yep, like traction control....  engine control....  live telemetry....  and beer.  Lots of beer.

• Like 2

My background is SCCA Improved Touring, running what goes for endurance races in that club.  Our team watched the cost requirements escalate from a relatively low level (for racing anyway) to $50k plus cars over the last few decades.  At the same time, car counts and brand diversity have dwindled.

I'm looking for real racing (so no Lemons) with high car counts, all for as low a cost as possible (while still allowing for a competitive finish).  Sure, you can still enter a cheapish car in Chump, but can you run anywhere near the front with good prep and driving?  It sounds a lot less likely than I originally thought.  Maybe I should rethink my current build.

From my vantage point, cost increases are killing what made Chump great in the first place.  That said, I'm more of a potential customer and not someone you currently cater to anyway.  I do see a good bit of chatter trying to figure out why more folks don't run out west though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grufton said:

My background is SCCA Improved Touring, running what goes for endurance races in that club.  Our team watched the cost requirements escalate from a relatively low level (for racing anyway) to $50k plus cars over the last few decades.  At the same time, car counts and brand diversity have dwindled.

I'm looking for real racing (so no Lemons) with high car counts, all for as low a cost as possible (while still allowing for a competitive finish).  Sure, you can still enter a cheapish car in Chump, but can you run anywhere near the front with good prep and driving?  It sounds a lot less likely than I originally thought.  Maybe I should rethink my current build.

From my vantage point, cost increases are killing what made Chump great in the first place.  That said, I'm more of a potential customer and not someone you currently cater to anyway.  I do see a good bit of chatter trying to figure out why more folks don't run out west though.

My team runs an e30 and we spend roughly 4K per event and could build an identical car for just over 10k. We run $108 tire rack wheels, and we have finished in the top 5 in every one of our last 7 races (although a few of these races had low-ish car count, we would be a solid bet for top 5 in any race in the country, except Daytona).

So to answer your question, yes, you can run near the front with good prep and driving and a modest budget.

On topic, I heard that 195s are the hot tire width for e46 and everyone should use them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep, like traction control....  engine control....  live telemetry....  and beer.  Lots of beer.

Engine control… isn’t a high $ expense even for very good stuff.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasquirt-assembled/microsquirt/

Our system in the slow Lincoln is less than $400 and performs at a high level.  If you want to be a fool and spend your money on the ultimate system go for it… but microsquirt is affordable and fits the series just fine.

I go to a race weekend with 12 or more wheels… that would be almost 5 grand if I ran $400 wheels in something I consider a consumable.  Limiting wheel cost seems like a good idea to me.

If you want to attack something attach the people who are moving toward active aero.  There is one team that claims 4 grand plus spent on their current aero and they are moving toward a DRS system. 

6 hours ago, shutupracing said:

Calm down, Grufton. Way more money is being spent in way more places.

$400 wheels should be the least of your concerns.

The thing you just pointed out is that a lot of money is being spent.  If $400 wheels are the cheap parts we could be in trouble in the not to distant future.  

Its certainly possible and common right now for modest cost cars to be competitive.   I hope it stays that way.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben 595 said:

Engine control… isn’t a high $ expense even for very good stuff.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasquirt-assembled/microsquirt/

Our system in the slow Lincoln is less than $400 and performs at a high level.  If you want to be a fool and spend your money on the ultimate system go for it… but microsquirt is affordable and fits the series just fine.

I go to a race weekend with 12 or more wheels… that would be almost 5 grand if I ran $400 wheels in something I consider a consumable.  Limiting wheel cost seems like a good idea to me.

If you want to attack something attach the people who are moving toward active aero.  There is one team that claims 4 grand plus spent on their current aero and they are moving toward a DRS system. 

I didn't attack anyone or anything.  Just pointing out that wheels actually have a sort of cap on them and the other items listed do not.

The point is that you CAN spend 2k plus on an ecu if you want.  No rule against it.

I think megasquirt is just fine.  I think the high-end haltech stuff in some cars I know of have about 3k in processing power in their cars.  Like multiple computers performing different tasks.

It's fine now, until somebody gets a major advantage out of it, then we will all cry foul but we won't do anything about it.

Edited by wvumtnbkr