Sign in to follow this  
turbogrill

Miata K24 swap?

15 hours ago, Wink said:

Might have been an exaggeration... or an implication of cheaty bits. 

But the biggest win they'll have is they ''cant'' run a stock intake manifold since it faces the wrong direction. 

Plus the race header, will have you off to a good start.

Ecotec have already set the precedent on those to be included right? 

LOL no.  It's not a race header.  I have a photo of an Ecotec race header at home, I will post it up for you tonight so you finally understand the difference. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, miatainium said:

To get to 200HP/200TQ you need to ported head, shaved deck, and a good tune ... says so right on the site.  Often the numbers people are posting are untuned, stock head, junkyard motors that make 160-170whp ... which still makes for a very competitive ChampCar without the risk of losing a costly ported cylinder head in the event of a crash or catastrophic failure.  Piloting the Ergolab Ecotec Miata I managed a 2:50 at Road America last month with an open-diff and failing clutch, and it's not a 200hp monster.  

As the car owner I can back up what Jerry said.  We make 160HP.  I don't crack motors, I just go to the junkyard for another.  I think with a lot of work (hand port/polish, tune the ECU) maybe you can get to 170.  Maybe.  I'm not doing it because it's a lot of work, I don't really know what I'm doing, and I keep replacing the damned motors.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, miatainium said:

To get to 200HP/200TQ you need to ported head, shaved deck, and a good tune ... 

Does it? I couldn't find much information about it. Maybe I am blind.

Also not sure what I got GWR from, they don't mention any ecotec numbers. 

I think the only downside with the Ecotec is that the kit has a several month waiting list. 

52 minutes ago, Jer said:

As the car owner I can back up what Jerry said.  We make 160HP.  I don't crack motors, I just go to the junkyard for another.  I think with a lot of work (hand port/polish, tune the ECU) maybe you can get to 170.  Maybe.  I'm not doing it because it's a lot of work, I don't really know what I'm doing, and I keep replacing the damned motors.  

I agree with Jer, using the stock LE5 and a good tune you should be able to get 160+ and if it pops grade A junkyard motors are plentiful and cheap. Now that @Jer's got his cooling figured out his motor's gonna last decades. 

The LE5 we used to race in the EcotecMiata.ca ChuampCar had a ported head, MS, and a good tune that made around 200/200.  And busted a fair few 5 speed trannies along the way.  When the new swap rules came out in 2017 we went to a L61, ported head, and claimed valve springs and a cam which made about 220. This thing was super rev happy and ate a pricier 6 speed and even blew up an AR5 ... eventually I think the motor also grenaded during regional racing (not sure what happened).

@Wink just come over to the dark side.  Swap your Miata and win races.  :)

Just now, JDChristianson said:

You make it sound so easy.  😎

I know, right?  LOL  It's not easy, but compared to other swaps, not as bad.  

• Like 2

Just now, Jer said:

I know, right?  LOL  It's not easy, but compared to other swaps, not as bad.  

I think it’s a great swap for this series.  It makes a really fun car, it’s a competitive car,  it maintains reliability, you still get to use lots of cheap Miata stuff, and so on.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I think it’s a great swap for this series.  It makes a really fun car, it’s a competitive car,  it maintains reliability, you still get to use lots of cheap Miata stuff, and so on.  

I agree.  It also appears that there is a bit of a limit on how far you can take the swap.  I.e. start pushing the hp and the car cant keep up and starts breaking.  

10 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

I agree.  It also appears that there is a bit of a limit on how far you can take the swap.  I.e. start pushing the hp and the car cant keep up and starts breaking.  

What about a low boost cold side supercharger? Should give about 160whp. 

Easier to install for sure. 

1 hour ago, Jer said:

@Wink just come over to the dark side.  Swap your Miata and win races.  :)

I dont know.. We're just starting to get our BP figured out.

We're already a second faster than the local ecotec car, anymore and the lynch mob would really be after us 😂

**Forgot Loanstaracers is a swap car, only 1/2 second**

Edited by Wink

10 hours ago, Jer said:

LOL no.  It's not a race header.  I have a photo of an Ecotec race header at home, I will post it up for you tonight so you finally understand the difference. 

So your saying your running one of the two OEM manifolds the kit requires now or are you still running one of those free custom 9hp/$300 "non header" headers😀

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

So your saying your running one of the two OEM manifolds the kit requires now, or are you still running one of those custom ($$) "non header" headers😀

While I do agree with your sediments

Question:

Are header clad eco-swapped Miata taking over the podium?

1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

Are header clad eco-swapped Miata taking over the podium?

If I recall correctly Team Mielan has the honors of the last Ecotec Miata win with their 3rd place finish at Brainerd last year.  Was there another since then?  The last podium for my old team was a 3rd place at WGI 2017 when ran out of gas a lap before the checker :)

Oh man, I wanna poop talk right now.  Honestly, we havent gone ecotec for the complications of the swap, which means teething pains to sort out, higher risk of failing Trans/Diffs and more fuel consumption.  @Jer working thru these teething pains has validated our staying with a newer miata engine swap until Jer starts handing our asses to us, which I am sure is inevitable, but Ill let him learn the lessons and then buy him some beer for the secrets ;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

Oh man, I wanna poop talk right now.  Honestly, we havent gone ecotec for the complications of the swap, which means teething pains to sort out, higher risk of failing Trans/Diffs and more fuel consumption.  @Jer working thru these teething pains has validated our staying with a newer miata engine swap until Jer starts handing our asses to us, which I am sure is inevitable, but Ill let him learn the lessons and then buy him some beer for the secrets ;) 

Yeah I often question the decision.  The car has so much potential but we have yet to finish a race problem-free.  Close a couple of times.  Two blown diffs, one trans, 3 blown motors (that's fixed now) countless other suspension components.  Clutch last race.  We were in 3rd place day one at Road America when we lost the clutch.  In 2nd the second day.  At Nelson Ledges we were in 2nd when the diff went poof.  Still hopeful for the next race.  I think the car could set the Champ lap record at Laguna and that race has a red circle around it, we'll see.  Sure hope we got the bugs out now.  I say that every race.  I will share secrets for beers, I don't wish these struggles on anyone.  :)

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, turbogrill said:

Hi

The K24A4 minivan engine seems like a good miata swap. Has anyone done this? 

There is a kit but its $2500, maybe that is why its not commln?

So any way if you could go ahead and figure a way to do the k swap. It’d be cool and give folks something other than the EcoTech to loose sleep over   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, miatainium said:

If I recall correctly Team Mielan has the honors of the last Ecotec Miata win with their 3rd place finish at Brainerd last year.  Was there another since then?  The last podium for my old team was a 3rd place at WGI 2017 when ran out of gas a lap before the checker :)

Team Basil Weenie (ecotec miata) won the Saturday race at Harris Hill a couple months ago, and a 1.6L Miata won on Sunday.  Interestingly the 1.6L had overall FTD both days.

Edited by QuaTTro
  • Like 1

Best part about the ecotech swap is buying entire wrecked cars for less than $500 and then selling parts off of them to dirt track guys and making a bit of money as a result, if you are willing to go through the hassle of craigslist/FB and like to haggle with people.

Worst part is waiting for the swap kit.  After that it is a snap!  As long as you have a good tuner!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Worst part is waiting for the swap kit.  After that it is a snap!  As long as you have a good tuner!

I'm tempted to start creating kits (PartsBadger is a machine shop) but I'm waiting on a ruling from tech and time is getting harder to come by.  Also have some brake kits in the works.

@Jer you want to send me your upgrade list and I'll start knocking out some kits for these people?!?!?! 😁

Edited by LuckyKid

14 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

20b ?

With the way speed creep has been round these parts, may as well go 26B.

4 rotors are better than 3.  Plus I've never been a fan of odd numbers 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

I'm tempted to start creating kits (PartsBadger is a machine shop) but I'm waiting on a ruling from tech and time is getting harder to come by.  Also have some brake kits in the works.

@Jer you want to send me your upgrade list and I'll start knocking out some kits for these people?!?!?! 😁

Not sure what you mean?