BMW #11 accident @The Glen

audi90qt

Hello everyone. Car #11, silver bmw E36 ended up in the wall between corner 6 and 7. It happened between 12 pm and 12:30 on Saturday.   On board camera decided not to work for us . If anyone has footage I would greatly appreciate it if you can send it to me or send me link to the video. No1 got hurt and that is very good !   Car is done but it’s just a reason to build another one. My email is audi90qt at hotmail dot com . Thank you in advance. Dan and crew

Txs for reply. Not going to blame or point finger at anyone.  My driver said that he heard loud bang and next thing he was in the wall. Just wanted to know what happened that’s it.  We were doing so good, 1st position in EC class till accident.  Than we went drinking.  Win win !! 

Hey Dan, 

That was our car that hit yours #313. The guy who has the video is uploading it to youtube so when it's done I'll share the link on this thread. We were doing well too at the time of the incident. Running 3rd in A class, 33rd overall. 

Our chassis is done as well. We thrashed the rest of Saturday to put a new front right suspension on to get my other drivers some drive time on Sunday but the chassis is bent by 3ish inches in the front and an inch in the back. 

Thanks,

Mike 

#11 could have and should have stayed in his line, which wasn't ideal but it was the lane he had.  We've all been there.  I would guess 1/3rd of all my laps ever at the Glen going into the toe were less than ideal, and I have hundreds and hundreds of laps there.  Its the cost of making a pass inside there.  You accept it and move on.  The driver didn't, and crashed out two cars.  sucks.  

It's pretty clear that #11 is responsible for taking himself out of the race with poor judgement/not maintaining his line. I don't mean to victim blame but there's something odd about the camera car's behavior.  #11 is in his field of vision for the duration of this clip, he even shoulder checks him at 0:14, but as #11 passes he takes his eyes off him at 0:18 looking right.  Then #11 swerves over unpredictably and the crash happens seeming to surprise the driver of the camera car.  If we're looking for lessons learned here, there's something to be said about working on our situational awareness, identifying high-risk unpredictable targets, and backing off a bit to open up some options. 

Again, not trying to victim blame cuz this unfolded quickly and it sucks to be taken out of a race like this.  Just trying to point out an area we can improve as drivers given this is a common confluence of conditions that we will all likely see again.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:17 PM, audi90qt said:

Txs for reply. Not going to blame or point finger at anyone.  My driver said that he heard loud bang and next thing he was in the wall. Just wanted to know what happened that’s it.  We were doing so good, 1st position in EC class till accident.  Than we went drinking.  Win win !! 

Yes, this happens when you pull in front of another car in a braking zone instead of staying on your line. That's some poor judgement and it crashed out another team. 

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this appears to be deliberate. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, miatainium said:

It's pretty clear that #11 is responsible for taking himself out of the race with poor judgement/not maintaining his line. I don't mean to victim blame but there's something odd about the camera car's behavior.  #11 is in his field of vision for the duration of this clip, he even shoulder checks him at 0:14, but as #11 passes he takes his eyes off him at 0:18 looking right.  Then #11 swerves over unpredictably and the crash happens seeming to surprise the driver of the camera car.  If we're looking for lessons learned here, there's something to be said about working on our situational awareness, identifying high-risk unpredictable targets, and backing off a bit to open up some options. 

Again, not trying to victim blame cuz this unfolded quickly and it sucks to be taken out of a race like this.  Just trying to point out an area we can improve as drivers given this is a common confluence of conditions that we will all likely see again.

Happens fast, but not knowing the track its mostly impossible to armchair... the camera car stayed put, got out accelerated, then the EC #11 abruptly drops his foot off the gas causing contact, camera car should have been safe even taking that .4 sec to check mirrors.

8 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Happens fast, but not knowing the track its mostly impossible to armchair... the camera car stayed put, got out accelerated, then the EC #11 abruptly drops his foot off the gas causing contact, camera car should have been safe even taking that .4 sec to check mirrors.

I've driven a few hundred laps of this track racing Champ/Chump/AER.  I was also there at this event, so this is my thoughts based on my experience.  

Edited by miatainium
  • Like 1

Misjudging when you can get over causes a lot of crashes.  Many crashes in the uphill esses are a result of misjudgment.  The 11 should have staying in his lane, but assuming he really wanted to get over to take the racing line, he simply misjudged where he was at in relation to the camera car.  Either way it's his fault.  This is my opinion as an experienced driver at the Glen.  

• Like 2

no way this was intentional/deliberate.  it was a racing incident cause by poor driving on the silver bmw to go left.  as others said.  stay in your lane that deep into the braking zone.  there wasn't even an advantage to be had going left like he did even if he was the only car on track.

If this happened towards the inside of the turn which is more typical I'd be less judgmental, but moving to the outside knowing cars are around you is a poor choice no matter what.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing that out Bill. I saw that. Wasnt the straps or mounts that broke, It was the connections on the cooler that failed. 

I now realize the only way to strap down the cooler properly is with a ratchet strap over the top. Will be that way at the next race. 

Mike 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

He didn't just lift off the gas, he hit the brakes while moving over.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

He didn't just lift off the gas, he hit the brakes while moving over.

The Miata is off throttle before the BMW moved in front of him and the Miata and the BMW's rate of deceleration was still greater.  

And yeah...58 laps into the Saturday race and both cars are crashed out. 

Edited by Snorman

36 minutes ago, National Tech said:

Great catch Bill. We have been asking for 2 straps in tech maybe we will get some team to comply now. Thanks!

Do you have any sample pictures?  do you have to undo the straps in order to refill it?  

On 5/29/2019 at 11:34 AM, Snorman said:

Yes, this happens when you pull in front of another car in a braking zone instead of staying on your line. That's some poor judgement and it crashed out another team. 

I saw this happen, at WGI, in a SCCA driving school some 20+ years ago.  And sadly, I've seen it a few times since.  Drivers of passing cars think "I'm faster than him so he will be behind me from here on out" and move back over as if the passed car has disappeared from existence.  Miatas brake LATE and DEEP.  I agree with your statement to hold your line in a braking zone.  But I want to add to it and say:  Cars are fast and slow in different places.  Don't assume a car won't be right back up at your door after you pass him.  This same bad thinking car produces crashes in places other than braking zones.  Our car can easily catch Parts Badger entering the carousel at Road America, but I guarantee you that he will be back at my door by track out.  If I assume "I passed him I can ignore him", I will track out and put him into the wall.

• Like 2