Fuel issues can be solved with a new series sponsor who brings fuel to the track and all fuel must be purchased from this track supplier. All fuel comes from a single source for everyone. Random sampling to reduce secret additives. 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Fuel issues can be solved with a new series sponsor who brings fuel to the track and all fuel must be purchased from this track supplier. All fuel comes from a single source for everyone. Random sampling to reduce secret additives. 

This would cause many new problems. 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

What about rotaries, preferring 87 octane. Diesels? Typically someone would run race gas because of higher compression or high levels of boost. High compression is handled through component rules, high boost is somewhat regulated through reliability. I think there are bigger fish to fry than this one.

2 hours ago, TimS said:

This SHOULD never happen in a series on this level.    Good way to kill off the series.

• Like 2

I agree not the best idea for cost conscious racing but only way to control fuel.  Tough to police internal engine components.  Pump gas keeps high boost and high compression engines in check.  Quick, easy, and inexpensive handheld octane tester would be the ticket.  Not sure if they exist though.  

I'll attempt to get this thread back on topic by posting about our race weekend!

We got to the track nice and early so that we could get through Tech first and this was our only real hiccup over the whole weekend. I was informed we didn't have the correct roll bar padding for helmet to bar contact so I scooted over to GWR (whom I have never met) and they allowed me to pull some of their roll bar padding from the passenger side bars to get through Tech. So, first I have to publicly thank them for that!

A slight misinterpretation of the battery box rule found me heading to WalMart for a battery box (thank God you Yanks do everything on a massive scale!) and that got us through Tech nicely. Thanks to Jay for offering to debate me on other issues as I love a good argument and he was awesome and professional throughout the whole Tech procedure.

Test day went absolutely perfectly and that led in to Saturday's race which is still feeling surreal. I started the race and was taking it fairly easy until there was a big shunt as a bunch of us approached the bus stop. I took evasive measures and had to pass two cars under the yellow and was subsequently penalized for this. I did my best to wave the two cars by but they just wouldn't go.

I thought this would be the end of our race but with an hour to go we are being shown as P1 in A and it was down to my youngest to keep our Otter ahead of the feisty Badger. I know they had car trouble late in the race and my son was able to eke out a class win by .280s which sent us absolutely to the moon!!

We knew Sunday's race could be a problem for us because of brake pad issues and the Badger sorted out their problems and were untouchable for most of the race. We were running in the top three all day and finally lost a driveshaft while leading with less than 45 minutes to go. With such a good run Saturday, this minor problem couldn't come close to taking the shine off our class win so even packing up a broken car was done with smiles.

I hate to leave anyone out during my thank you's and I'll start right at the top by thanking Mike for organizing a great weekend and all his crew in Registration, Timing, Tech, Gear Tech, Pit Lane. Thanks to Jay for presenting his Tech issues professionally and with the intent on getting us on the track and not off it! Thanks to the pit lane worker with the Crank Yanker shirt (sorry, I am terrible with names!) for addressing our pit lane transgressions with a level head and a lot of humour (and for our shock/strut discussion in impound).

Thanks to GWR for the roll bar padding

Thanks to Dan at Constipation Racing for always helping when we need it

Thanks to ShutUp Racing for helping us get the car back in the trailer (damn whippersnappers!)

Thanks to the Little Speed Shop for trusting me to come back with the money!

Thanks to every team that said yes when I asked for a drill bit!

And thanks to our crew, Dan and Marc, who do all the stuff that I don't want to!!

My final thanks is to my two boys, Richard and Randy, whom I have the absolute privilege of being teamed up with. They made me the slowest driver on our team and I couldn't be happier about that.

• Like 16

Fyi. Mike Chisek was at the track helping. It was Dana Morrison's event.

I thought it was great to see so many EC cars such as the Cayman and the minis. It is great seeing cars like these run with us as they typically might run in a series like AER. Awesome to see how some extreme builds of older cars like the GWR E30, parts badger Miata, and viceral 944 can run towards the front with former pro series cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wd6681 said:

I thought it was great to see so many EC cars such as the Cayman and the minis. It is great seeing cars like these run with us as they typically might run in a series like AER. Awesome to see how some extreme builds of older cars like the GWR E30, parts badger Miata, and viceral 944 can run towards the front with former pro series cars.

We welcome EC cars, but they've cluttered up the standings and the broadcast crew lost track of that.  I'm happy they chose to run with us, but they still are not part of the race.  They are running basically as an exhibition team and should be treated accordingly in my opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Wheelhouse Racing Recap:

First off, what a great weekend!  Thanks to Champcar, Dana and all the safety crew and volunteers that helped make this one happen!  From our perspective it all went off without a hitch.

As always, I hope we drove clean out there and please let me know if you thought otherwise.  We always want to learn and make sure everyone is happy to have us drive with you guys again!  Sorry to the Visceral Porsche @Ronh911 and the @Round3Racing boxster.  One of our drivers managed to have contact with you guys, but little to no damage on our car and he has been in touch with both to say sorry.  General consensus was racing incidents, but feel free to be in touch if you think otherwise.

We arrived in time for dinner on Thursday and were ready to go for tech inspection on Friday morning.  They were thorough but we made it through with minimal issues and plenty of time to spare for the test day.  The car ran more or less well for the test except with a bit of a brake shudder.  We changed the rotors bleed the brakes and were ready to go Saturday morning.  We drew the short straw for pit order on the start and were nearly at the end as we rolled out.  No worries as it gave our first driver an opportunity to warm up and get into his race pace, plus, we just won the lottery for Sundays start!  He worked his way through the field and picked up his pace significantly.  Picked cars off steadily through the stint.  Unfortunately the brake shudder was still there and possibly getting worse.  Not only that, but he reported the car to be "darty" with steering.  He did a fantastic job and ran by far the fastest laps he has ever run there.  For a number of laps he was chasing down the Sahlens boxster and lots of cheers over the radio when he finally got by!  He was pumped to say the least. 2nd driver in and did what he could to drive around the brake shudder and dartiness.  3rd driver had to limp into pit about an hour into his stint with no power/revs from the car.  We took it to the paddock and found a bad alternator connector, 35 mins later we were back on track but not longer anywhere near being in a "race" so we cycled in our remaining drivers for quick stints to make sure all are ready for a Sunday blitz!  

When I got in the car... ooooh boooy! Darty isnt exactly what id call it!  It was moving around all over the place.  Something was up.  Finally getting it into the paddock we changed the paseenger side axle (ripped boot) and fixed what looked like a bad shock top hat mounting.  We also found that the LCA mounting point bolts were loose creating a good amount of dynamic toe!  We welded that up and steering issue solved.  Dinner at the lodge (we were too late and they were out of prime rib....) and a quick alignment after dinner and we all crashed.

Sunday! We roll out in the top 10... except our first driver spent too much time in the bathroom and wasnt buckled in in time.  Pit marshall made us wait until the very end.... uffff.  Shoot, our fault though for not being ready to go.  Tell the driver to take a deep breath, go get em on track.  Man on a mission and he started to pick the field off.  Some smoke coming from the car, so we brought him in under yellow to check and found the dipstick had blown out.  Big mess of oil in the engine bay.  Add a quart send him back out.  We rolled the dice for a full 2 hour stint, but 2 hours came up and we had to pit under green.  After his first stint and all the pit cycles were complete we were sitting in the top 20.  2nd driver, more of the same and ran some great consistent laps and pitted from 7th place under FCY this time.  I got in the car and ran as hard as I could over for a 1.5 hour stint.  The brakes were BRUTAL, shaking the wheel and basically felt like it was shaking the car apart!  Turn in with trail braking was basically impossible and was the best feeling in the world when I could release the brakes and actually get the steering to hook up!  I had a great battle with the Higgy Motorsports civic.  He would put huge lengths on me through the bus stop and I would gain it back on the straights.  Pitted under yellow, more oil added and we are good on fuel until the finish. 

Running solidly in 5th with Higgy chasing us down and then Damson got a black flag and we moved into 4th spot.  We managed to maintain a lap time to hold them off to the finish and get sent to impound!  Wooooo hoooo!  We are ecstatic with our first big result, and at WGI no less.  So cool and we are still all pumped that we were able to put it all together on race day.  The car was an absolute rocket on the straights and we have managed to work the suspension to at least keep up in the corners.  What a great weekend spent with family and friends! As always, we cant wait to get back out there and go racing again!

How cool is it to get interviewed on the live cast?!  Dad (racer on Satruday, Crew Chief for sunday) and Mom (Fire bottle and pit support) getting to partake is awesome!

1470542236_impoundsmall.jpg.5b754f347e0e8ec199e9e473c751d815.jpg

1701198427_impounddriverssmall.jpg.9b3a76bf647f249daac445f9182215f2.jpg

Here is the Exxon Valdez on Sunday evening (those are silver wheels, look at the drivers side wheel above!)

985662618_maximaWGIsmall3.png.cc0572ea705a29d3637d9814d33a6ba7.png

And here is a video from Saturday!

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Jer said:

We welcome EC cars, but they've cluttered up the standings and the broadcast crew lost track of that.  I'm happy they chose to run with us, but they still are not part of the race.  They are running basically as an exhibition team and should be treated accordingly in my opinion. 

Too many ultra fast EC cars for my taste.  EC should be limited to cars on the VPI list but not in compliance with valuation.  The biggest issue I saw was the predicament of lapped non-EC cars.  Not fair to have to pass an EC car to get your lap pack when the EC car is not even in the race for position.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jer said:

I'm glad you feel that way and are looking into this. I know many of us share similar opinions. 

• Like 3

We had a great weekend. Thanks to the ChampCar organizers and to Jay for the center net advice while we were in Tech. Speaking of which, oof that was a long queue. Glad it wasn’t raining. 

We’re slower than smoke off poop so thanks to everyone that was patient and found their way around us. We tried to point people by and stay predictable. No thanks to the Miata that passed me in the right exiting the bus stop. I had my right wheels on the curb, he/she must have been in the dirt. Yikes. If you have an issue with any of our drivers, message me so we can get squared away. 

We got some great help Saturday night when we found both front rotors cracked. That was awesome to be a part of the camaraderie. 

Finally, I apologize for causing a FCC Sunday afternoon. I’ll own it; I ran out of talent going down the hill into the boot. We pounded it out and got back on the track for the last 20 minutes with a car in bad need of an alignment. 

See you all at VIR in August. 

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Just now, Hammerheads said:

We had a great weekend. Thanks to the ChampCar organizers and to Jay for the center net advice while we were in Tech. Speaking of which, oof that was a long queue. Glad it wasn’t raining. 

We’re slower than smoke off poop so thanks to everyone that was patient and found their way around us. We tried to point people by and stay predictable. No thanks to the Miata that passed me in the right exiting the bus stop. I had my right wheels on the curb, he/she must have been in the dirt. Yikes. If you have an issue with any of our drivers, message me so we can get squared away. 

We got some great help Saturday night when we found both front rotors cracked. That was awesome to be a part of the camaraderie. 

Finally, I apologize for causing a FCC Sunday afternoon. I’ll own it; I ran out of talent going down the hill into the boot. We pounded it out and got back on the track for the last 20 minutes with a car in bad need of an alignment. 

See you all at VIR in August. 

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for racing with us.  There are two kinds of racers, those who have crashed and those who will.  No need to apologize.  We hope to see you on track again.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jer said:

Totally agree !!!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Video!  More coming when the YouTubes finish uploading:

What is up with the sound? Is it me? Sounds like two races overlayed on each other after you get a few minutes in. Then no sound later.

8 hours ago, Basil Weenie said:

Too many ultra fast EC cars for my taste.  EC should be limited to cars on the VPI list but not in compliance with valuation. 

Have to agree with the want for EC cars to be on the VPI list.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

What is up with the sound? Is it me? Sounds like two races overlayed on each other after you get a few minutes in. Then no sound later.

Something got jacked, noticed it after the first video went up.  Been messing with part 2 trying to get it to work - it's on Youtube, but also with the sound dropping out after the first ~20 minutes. Problem is every stitch attempt takes a few hours and the youtube upload is overnight, so progress is slow.  Using MP4 Joiner,  but open to better tools. This one seems to fail on anything longer than ~3hrs.

5 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Something got jacked, noticed it after the first video went up.  Been messing with part 2 trying to get it to work - it's on Youtube, but also with the sound dropping out after the first ~20 minutes. Problem is every stitch attempt takes a few hours and the youtube upload is overnight, so progress is slow.  Using MP4 Joiner,  but open to better tools. This one seems to fail on anything longer than ~3hrs.

I use Avidemux 2.7 and Free Video Cutter version 1.2 (this version is hard to find and is literally the only good version of Free Video Cutter. Also it is so much better than any other video cutter I have tried using)

Avidemux is very easy to use.. I have merged over 8 hours of video together from ~20 minute clips and that takes about 3 hours to complete.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

Sorry to the Visceral Porsche

I was in the Porsche during the hit.  It was in the bus stop and maybe the driver got a bit too aggressive but I've tried the outside pass there myself.  The hit was pretty light.  hard enough to feel but not hard enough to even leave much of a mark.  I may have shook a fist and that was enough. He did come over after the stint and apologize but to my mind it was just a racing incident and not big deal.  But still great that he came over. I've been hit much harder and not seen anyone so class act.  and glad that there was no damage to your car either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I use Avidemux 2.7 and Free Video Cutter version 1.2 (this version is hard to find and is literally the only good version of Free Video Cutter. Also it is so much better than any other video cutter I have tried using)

Avidemux is very easy to use.. I have merged over 8 hours of video together from ~20 minute clips and that takes about 3 hours to complete.

Turns out it's a file size limit - laptop hard drive only has space for a 50Gb temp file ( since I'm too lazy to go cleaning out gigabytes of other junk), so that's the biggest video I can stitch together successfully.  Watch for the race to be uploaded broken into stints. 

16 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Fyi. Mike Chisek was at the track helping. It was Dana Morrison's event.

Liar.... I never seen Chisek....

Oh wait, I did... I saw you also... but you never stopped by our pit stall.... 

Why Bill?  Is it because I cuss?

• Haha 1