Bill Strong

Handling EC cars in our series - Part 2

38 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

In the rest of the free world the car that completes the most laps is the winner, you need to accept that the way we do it is unusual.

That is exactly why it is important that our live timing and post-race results display accurately.

We can’t expect the rest of the free world to know that caymans aren’t the actual winners of ChampCar races when they show up at the top of the standings. 

6 minutes ago, enginerd said:

That is exactly why it is important that our live timing and post-race results display accurately.

We can’t expect the rest of the free world to know that caymans aren’t the actual winners of ChampCar races when they show up at the top of the standings. 

Resolving this confusion by publishing official results would also help with season points for championships, Mazda contingency etc. 

Speedhive could just disappear tomorrow, or change how they decide to display things, or start charging a subscription fee :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABR-Glen said:

In the rest of the free world the car that completes the most laps is the winner, you need to accept that the way we do it is unusual.

As I have suggested previously CC can get around this limitation of 3rd party software by publishing it's own official results and present them however they want.

Speedhive is just a user friendly (debatable) collection of transponder hits. 

Some sponsorships require Speedhive results because they are unbiased, and have a uniform output format, and basically every type of racing uses them except stage rally.

If I'm someone who's running EC I'm more concerned with my actual performance during the race, so I can communicate with drivers and know how the car is doing vs seeing the results on SH.

Unless we start attaching real limits on EC instead of it just being an outlaw class, nobody should really be taking their EC results to sponsors, so SHs default window should show ABCD cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Few thoughts to add to the 15 pages of discussion. 

1. EC isn't a class. There are no rules outside safety for them to meet. Allowing them to run with us is good for everyone, but the suggestion to add 100 laps is excellent as it clears up any issue with displayed standings [among the top cars].

2. If an EC car doesn't like the 100 laps they can almost without exception run in a class with penalty laps based on tech assignment.  Instead of 100 laps down they can be 10, 20, etc laps down based on classing.  A 500 point car with reliability, suspension, and aero upgrades is typicalling going to be in the 10-25 range. 

3. If someone can't be bothered to spend 1 hr doing one time paper work figuring out how their 1000+ hr build car fits within classing with penalty laps see point 1. 

Edited by veris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1