Bill Strong

Handling EC cars in our series - Part 2

3 hours ago, ETR said:

Yeah, he represents the whole of EC.  

Considering that in the last 2 races, different EC teams have "won" overall, and bragged about it.

So its pretty clear this isn't an isolated incident.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Considering that in the last 2 races, different EC teams have "won" overall, and bragged about it.

So its pretty clear this isn't an isolated incident.

And since you can see it from your front porch this must be everywhere.  A widespread epidemic!  This thread and the other should probably be under some regional category.  I’ve said it before, EC seems to be working as intended further west. I’m not ignoring that teams are making EC a problem in your neighborhood.

Maybe we need a map that asks “Where did the EC touch you?”  

Edited by ETR
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ETR said:

And since you can see it from your front porch this must be everywhere.  A widespread epidemic!  This thread and the other should probably be under some regional category.  I’ve said it before, EC seems to be working as intended further west. I’m not ignoring that teams are making EC a problem in your neighborhood.

Maybe we need a map that asks “Where did the EC touch you?”  

You don’t need to wait for epidemic status before solving a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

You don’t need to wait for epidemic status before solving a problem.

This x100. 

Don't need to wait for problems just fix it early.  If you see one lug nut missing you don’t have to wait for the others to fall off before replacing it. 

Some more aero restrictions might be nice before there are multiple functioning, well engineered systems running.   Just another  example.....

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

So this "new" problem has been around since at least 2011 (did we even have an EC class before that?). Maybe just go back to putting (EC) in the team name like ETR suggested, I don't remember it confusing anyone back then (probably not as many people on Facebook then either...) 

image.thumb.png.ab7cfbf51542b3e557940dddfc34bc35.png

image.thumb.png.b1675def0c7175d5648228123707bb86.png

EC class has grown and it used to be that EC never finished or spent a lot of time off the track.  These days that's not true.  

• Like 2

As a Board we are in heavy discussion about EC.  That's all I have to say right now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jer said:

As a Board we are in heavy discussion about EC.  That's all I have to say right now.  

It's a shame cars that don't conform to the ruleset are still being picked up as the race leader during cautions and is still declaring themselves as the race winner and taking the winning checkered flag after this was discussed ad nauseam for three weeks previous...

It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth that plays by the rules...

Not real motivated to pay the VIR24 entry and make the 20hr roundtrip drive right now...

Edited by Racer7x
  • Sad 1

If you can manually change laps, can you manual change the position to EC or NC. Basically DQ them but change the position from DQ to NC or EC.

Do the DQ after the checkered and the teams last lap. So lap count correct and position goes after all other finishers.

Edited by chbright

4 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That doesn't address race broadcast or pacecar.

Pacecar is all on race control. They should know better no matter what is on racemonitor/RaceHero. 

Broadcast.... something about teaching old dogs new tricks may be relevant.... those guys are unencourable...! 😂 /greenfont

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

It's a shame cars that don't conform to the ruleset are still being picked up as the race leader during cautions and is still declaring themselves as the race winner and the car taking the winning checkered flag after this was discussed ad nauseam for three weeks previous...

It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth that plays by the rules...

Not real motivated to pay the VIR24 entry and make the 20hr roundtrip drive right now...

If it helps, Mike told me we picked up the actual race leader under caution at NCM, not the EC car.  

28 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That doesn't address race broadcast or pacecar.

There was no broadcast for this race. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jer said:

If it helps, Mike told me we picked up the actual race leader under caution at NCM, not the EC car.  

There was no broadcast for this race. 

Which car had the checker flag come out and waved at them for winning the race?

Edited by Racer7x

Just now, Racer7x said:

Who had the checker flag come out and waved at them for winning the race?

No idea but that's wrong.  I will pass it along.

4 minutes ago, Jer said:

No idea but that's wrong.  I will pass it along.

It can't get much easier than t&s giving every ec car -100 laps before the start of each race...

It's not good to disenchant the base of the team owners and team captain's over this. 

• Like 2

One easy fox is to clearly delineate which cars are EC in timing and scoring. List EC cars as EC and then the team name.  Such as: EC-Four Car Garage Motorsports 

18 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

It can't get much easier than t&s giving every ec car -100 laps before the start of each race...

It's not good to disenchant the base of the team owners and team captain's over this. 

100 laps does nothing to keep the like cars grouped together, a substantially higher number effectively gives EC their own subgroup down at the bottom of scoring, if they want to see how they stack up against the rest make it a easy (but large) # to add back.

35 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

We discussed this with Dana at the Sebring races.  He shows the checker flag to the NON EC leader.   

2 hours ago, Jer said:

EC class has grown and it used to be that EC never finished or spent a lot of time off the track.  These days that's not true.  

I've tried to stay out of this discussion but this comment is total bs. 

That might be a true statement on the east coast but not here in the central.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Racer7x said:

The actual winner. EC car went by about 15 seconds in front and did not get the checker

26 minutes ago, u-turn said:

I've tried to stay out of this discussion but this comment is total bs. 

That might be a true statement on the east coast but not here in the central.

100% agree, however, I would guess that the "East" represents 60-65% of all membership and that has something to do with it.  I don't agree with it, but in a way I understand it from a business perspective.  The one comment that was made this weekend by an official that I do not agree with, "That eventually ec cars will see we are the series to run with and conform", is not at all true.  Teams that are running ec now are not the teams from 5 years ago that had old scca cars with a bunch of coolers and adjustable shocks that automatically put them in ec whether they were actually competitive or not.  Now we see spec e46 m3's, gt4 porsches, and cougars with coyote motors running.  The post that shows the winners from Road America in 2011 with a fast lap of a 2:56 is telling....we now have an ec gt4 porsche running almost :20s faster and legit Champcars running :11's a lap faster.

I still have to tell some of my teammates/crew/family/friends we are 23rd not 25th (as shown on the monitor) because there are two EC cars ahead of us. No biggy. Can we talk about why teams double dip on awards now?  If you get an overall award why do you get a class award (every other racing I’m involved with does not do this, you can’t win a 30-35 age group award at your local 10k if you collected a 2nd overall). I thought the class awards were to recognize “lesser” or “disadvantaged” cars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Racer7x said:

On Sunday for sure the correct car took the Checker flag.  I was going to have smoke coming out my ears if it had not.  (not that it would have mattered)  I can not vouch for Saturday, we were in repair mode still when the checkers flew.

• Thanks 1