Jump to content
Jer

Your top three tracks we run, and why!

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Actually, I think Jerry is referring to my launch out of the carousel.

 

I did drive over top of an mgb in the malibu...

 

 

Yes, I was there. I saw it. I may have it on video as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WGI - the greatest track in the country. Fast and long turns, elevation change, all types of turns, just paradise. 

 

Charlotte - most people hate it for the same reason I love it. It’s scary and exhilarating. The recent config with no chicanes was perfect, go flat through NASCAR 3 and 4 if you dare. Plenty wide for this crazy format. 

 

VIR - home track that has everything, world renown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 4:11 PM, skierman64 said:

 

Just curious, besides #1 and the carousel which corners do you consider high speed at RA?

Which ones are low speed? I think 5 and 6 would be the only ones considered “slow”. I need to pour through old club racing data to get min speeds there but it’s definitely a high speed turn track  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Summit Point, NJMP, VIR, only because they are the cloest. VIR is the most fun, Summit point the least. 

We dont run summit point or njmp anymore...  

 

I have raced both and think they are both interesting, but not great tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have discussed with Mike the possibility of returning to Summit.  The pit set up on Shanandoah is a hindrance, but I wouls tow back from Denver to race my Miata there.  We could also consider main, I've never driven it.

 

NJMP was not only boring, but they were not really easy to work with.  Tech was held outside because we were not let in until late on Friday.  Hard to find redeeming features there, I will never travel to run at NJMP again.  When I lived 2 hours away it was a no brainer though.  

Edited by Jer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Glen: Nothing to say about this place that hasn't been said already, would race anything here any time.

 

Road Atlanta: just an amazing track, easy to get into a rhythm here and click off laps. I'll never forget cresting the hill and heading into 12 for the first time at speed.

 

Daytona: admittedly not the greatest road course. But being I campaign an f-body, high lining past the field on the oval never gets old.  Charlotte a close runner up.

 

IMO, summit point main is a better course than shenny, if champ went to summit point on the main course I would definitely sign up. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ws6 Mike said:

The Glen: Nothing to say about this place that hasn't been said already, would race anything here any time.

 

Road Atlanta: just an amazing track, easy to get into a rhythm here and click off laps. I'll never forget cresting the hill and heading into 12 for the first time at speed.

 

Daytona: admittedly not the greatest road course. But being I campaign an f-body, high lining past the field on the oval never gets old.  Charlotte a close runner up.

 

IMO, summit point main is a better course than shenny, if champ went to summit point on the main course I would definitely sign up. 

 

 

 

 

I'm hoping to do the same next year in our F-body....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jer said:

I have discussed with Mike the possibility of returning to Summit.  The pit set up on Shanandoah is a hindrance, but I wouls tow back from Denver to race my Miata there.  We could also consider main, I've never driven it.

 

NJMP was not only boring, but they were not really easy to work with.  Tech was held outside because we were not let in until late on Friday.  Hard to find redeeming features there, I will never travel to run at NJMP again.  When I lived 2 hours away it was a no brainer though.  

I like Thunderbolt.  The long straight is nice for passing. Well Lemons cars anyway. and we are about 2 hours away too....sooooo 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 Road America - Fast, good flow, and they do hot pulls! Flying downhill into turn 5 with the back end skating around under braking is just amazing. 

 

#2 Nelson - Fast, history and a true throwback. Love the simplicity of this entire place, track and facilities.  Blasting down the front straight into the fog at like 3am in the couple first 25 hour races chump did there are some of my finest racing memories.  

 

#3 Summit Point Main - Another fast and throwback place that also does hot pulls. In my opinion this track is great because it takes big kahonies to run fast laps.  They are improving safety here every year. But there are fast places to get in trouble and you are in the trees.  Mentally, a challenging place to endurance race.  Also some slower, tight turns to keep things even with HP vs handling.  

 

For me the flow/consistency of the race adds so much to a weekend. Tracks that do hot pulls are just awesome.  This spring there was not one full course caution at Road America the entire weekend!!

 

Watkins Glen is probably my favorite track to drive, but the caution parades there just kill the racing for me.

 

Summit Shenandoah again would be fun too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^ have to agree on the hot pulls thing. The yellows at WGI make it a little like this year’s Indy races at Detroit where it was all about who happened to hit the yellows correctly.  You don’t win races at Road America because you get lucky.  You win there because you are fast.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, JCrist said:

Which ones are low speed? I think 5 and 6 would be the only ones considered “slow”. I need to pour through old club racing data to get min speeds there but it’s definitely a high speed turn track  

 

 

Slow corners at RA are:  3, 5, 6, 8, Bend, 12, 14. 

Maybe they just seem slow because of the 3 long straights.  

 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:53 PM, Racer28173 said:

 You don’t win races at Road America because you get lucky.  You win there because you are fast.  

 

Because the car is fast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...