Woohoo! So I ended up with an ex-champcar 80s 635CSI with a smokey engine, found a co-driver and registered for the SLC race. I understand it's far from a competitive car, but I'm just here for the free BBQ. What is your experience with these boats. Do I need a trans cooler? Diff cooler? Oil Cooler? … or these things will run all day long? Any special fluids to at least finish the first day? 😅

12 hours ago, Olythekid said:

Woohoo! So I ended up with an ex-champcar 80s 635CSI with a smokey engine, found a co-driver and registered for the SLC race. I understand it's far from a competitive car, but I'm just here for the free BBQ. What is your experience with these boats. Do I need a trans cooler? Diff cooler? Oil Cooler? … or these things will run all day long? Any special fluids to at least finish the first day? 😅

Can’t go wrong with fresh redline fluids in engine / trans / diff. 

Also, at a minimum you should replace the water pump, all belts, timing belt / chain, spark plugs.

I think a 635 could be extremely good with the right prep. Far more power than an e30 and less points. 

• Like 1

Why wouldn't a 635 be competitive? In any event as mentioned, do your generic maintenance. I’m guessing it has been lightened? If not get as much weight out of it as you can. Then go have fun.

• Like 1

have a spare everything.  things will break and you won't be able to find parts.  At the glen event recently a newer team needed rotors and ended up driving hundreds of miles for some used ones I heard.

Oh yes, Redline. Forgot about these guys, good call thank you.

I hear you, a spare of everything would be nice off course. Not going to happen for me starting on a budget with a brand 'new' car. How many brake pads and rotors are you burning every event? How about tires?

Where are you located? I have anti smoke additives for M30's. Seriously, get a good checklist, arrange tasks in order of medical necessity. You can complete 14 hr on one set of tire and brakes. Read and re read the rules about all safety items, make sure you can get through tech!  Roughly the order should be brakes, rebuild all the calipers, if the brake fluid looks anything like tea replace the master/reservoir too. New stock rubber hoses ( get all six of them). There are cool (and necessary) bronze caliper mount bushings from Turner etc. Use Brembo or ATE rotors, Hawk HT10 pad. Next would be suspension/wheels. Service/inspect the front wheel bearings, you can get a seal off one side and look, if the red rust has started get new FAG bearing, if not push some fresh expensive grease into them. Replace all four front control arms (forget about coolers, spend money here). Not much to the rear other than make sure nothing is loose, and CV boots are intact. Next would be fluid systems, yes Redline gearbox and diff. Buy a pressure tester for the cooling system and use it. Crank sensor harness routing and lower radiator hose interference with water pump pulley should be carefully inspected. Improper radiator mounts and collapsed engine/trans mounts contribute to the hose issue. Replace the alternator mounting bushings! Watch the fan blade, bent or broken is bad for water pump life, and it is still readily available. Next would be, shifter and bracket bushings, throttle pedal bushings (real fun with a cage), throttle cable, should all be replaced. Maintaining soft stock style engine/trans mount and exhaust down pipe to transmission bracket will improve reliability. 

That horse is a winner with the right Indians riding.

I'm located in Elko, NV.

Made a checklist out of your recommendations, I'll start chipping away at it. What is the anti smoke additive you are using?

The anti smoke additive is valve seals or piston rings, if you were closer I would supply an engine. Valve seals leak under idle vacuum, rings smoke under wide open throttle.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:29 PM, Olythekid said:

A 635CSI can be made very competitive, winning races in this series with that car is doable.  

Being a already built ex-champcar, i bet a bunch of the suggested stuff has already been done, personally, I would look it over before replacing everything.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 5:22 PM, Olythekid said:

I'm located in Elko, NV.

Made a checklist out of your recommendations, I'll start chipping away at it. What is the anti smoke additive you are using?

Do tell us the results of the three or four things I listed. What are we betting Ed? 

On 6/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, Olythekid said:

Oh yes, Redline. Forgot about these guys, good call thank you.

I hear you, a spare of everything would be nice off course. Not going to happen for me starting on a budget with a brand 'new' car. How many brake pads and rotors are you burning every event? How about tires?

Redline for sure. 

Frozen rotors for brake rotors and PFC-08 pads. We go a full season of 5 weekends on a set of rotors and two weekends on pads. (E36)

one set of tires a weekend on the old zII. Bring 2 sets in case you need them.