15x8 or 9 NA Miata rims

MIata Tom

We run both 10s and 9s with the 245.  The 225 has a tread width 0.9" narrower than the 245 so I'd assume it's similar comparison for an 8 vs. 9.

The 9s for us are more durable but maybe just slightly slower.  The 10s just a hair faster but we've had alot of rims crack.  We have had better luck with Koenig vs. Jongblode rims.

If you ever want to go with the 245 you'll need the 9" rims, so that would tip my decision if I were you.

13 minutes ago, MIata Tom said:

Thanks, I was looking at the Koenig and Jongblode's . What offset do you run?  We have been running 205-50 on 5X7 with +38 offset and 1/4 spacers. 

36 offset on 15x9 and 25 offset on 15x10, but we recently added a 5mm spacer.  Too much rubbing near the shock tower.

• Like 1

I ran RS4 245s on 9s for over a year.  They never wear out, seemingly ever.  They were out in Q1 and so we tried the 225s on the recommendations of other teams.  The had an improved feel, still didn't seem to wear much.  My Miata is under 2K though so its light. 

• Like 2

We run 225 on a 15x9 currently (back down from a 245 we tried for a race - At laguna in december just couldnt get the heat into the 245s).  there a nice stretch on the tire for some more sidewall stiffness with 225 on 9.  We got a set of 15x8 6uls with the car we bought for our new build so we are going to test the 225 on a 9 against 225 on an 8.  I would love to see a better result with the 8" wide wheel so we can reduce some rotating mass.

• Like 1

Just now, Alchemy Autosport said:

We run 225 on a 15x9 currently (back down from a 245 we tried for a race - At laguna in december just couldnt get the heat into the 245s).  there a nice stretch on the tire for some more sidewall stiffness with 225 on 9.  We got a set of 15x8 6uls with the car we bought for our new build so we are going to test the 225 on a 9 against 225 on an 8.  I would love to see a better result with the 8" wide wheel so we can reduce some rotating mass.

great idea, please let us know how it goes.  

• Like 1